Home | Reviews | Saddle | Velo

2.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Velo Live Wire

Submitted by Stu a Cross-Country Rider from Rochester, MN

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1999

Strengths:
Looks good
Lightweight

Weaknesses:
Ouch,Ouch,Ouch

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is do not buy this seat, it is really harsh to sit on even for a short ride, the main section of the seat is way to short for anyone but a real small person, and the suspension doesn't flex enough to notice. i am returning it to Supergo immediately.

less than 1 month

Giant factory seat from 98 Iguana

98 Giant Iguana hardtail
Rigid front fork

Submitted by Ilan a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1999

Strengths:
keeps my ass of the seatpost.
looks cool.

Weaknesses:
feels like a piece of injection-molded plastic.

Bottom Line:
Not very comfy for longer rides. After a three hour ride, i was numb. Kevlar is nice for durability and i have no problem moving for/aft. Acceptable suspension if you set up righ with the clamp in the middle of the rails. Id give it 3.5, but ill round up to 4 cuz no seat is actually confortable, maybe except those crazy Specialized ones. (which i might get).

singletrack

6 months

Cannondale CAAD3 with Syncros post

Submitted by Ron a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

Forgive me brothers for I have sinned. I have judged a product before fully knowing its worth ( or lack thereof) Oh my aching prostate!! I just took a 10 mile rooty, rocky technical ride today and my nuts are killing me!! I judged this saddle to soon by giving it 3.5 chilis. This thing isn't worth a damn, give me back my vetta. 1 chili.

Submitted by Ron a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

I just got the Velo livewire today and test rode it. Compared to my Vetta AT transverse it comes up short. The Vetta had a much better suspension and was far more comfortable. But the livewire does have kevlar sides that will hopefully make it more durable than the vetta. Overall, I will give the livewire a 3.5 chilli rating because of it's price of 30 bucks and it's relative comfort.

Submitted by Endoboy a downhiller from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had a Velo Crossbow for two years now and I am satisfied with its performance. I have read some riders did not feel that suspension worked for them, but they have to remeber that the seat only absorbs small deflections. There is some absorbtion of shock, that is absorbed by the rails,seat and your butt. You can adjust the seat back far enough to let the rails flex, you should feel some flex and movement when your butt pushes on the saddle. Well for 30 ducketts and numerous crashes the kevlar edges have held out, but the leather at the very rear of the seat has started to delaminate from the plastic seat base. The seat looks cool with the embroidery, which helps keep the seat from moving around. The only drawback is that the seat is kinda heavy, but 30 bucks and two years of hard use. I give it 4 jalapeneos.

Submitted by Big Dave a cross-country rider from Moreno Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE CROSSBOW - NOT THE LIVE WIRE The Crossbow is a worthless tank. It is supposed to have a built in suspension system, but the life of me I can't feel a thing. So what does that boil down to? The saddle is a heavy piece of junk that kills my ass. Sure it looks good but I would rather have a plain looking seat that didn't weigh over 400 grams that actually made me feel comfortable. 1 chili is being generous.

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from Dallas, Tx

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I didn't get the Live Wire saddle, but Velo's Crossbow model. They're cut pretty much the same, which looks okay, but the suspension is all snake oil marketing, it don't work. It's attractive enough, with Kevlar edges and embroidered logos, etc., but it's not very comfortable, and whoa! this pig is heavy (330 g). Got it at Supergo, but they have Bontragers, Flights and Vettas priced almost as cheap. Oh well, maybe my next endo will destroy this thing so I can retire it.

Submitted by Dan Spengler a cross-country rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Pretty comfy saddle. The long rails provide excellent cushioning on bumpy ascents allowing you to stay in the saddle longer. Kevlar sides are nice for long wear. Anyone who rides the saddle should get royalties from Velo because the embroidered logo on the top is so huge. The price is right and you can get them mail order for around 30 clams.

Submitted by George a cross-country rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Woops! I'm the first guy to post about this saddle and now I take it all back. I've seen the light (and comfort) of the Selle Italia Flight Saddle. It puts this thing to shame. For about $20 more than the LIVE WIRE you get a lot more comfort from the Flight. I'm sorry if you followed my prior advice. Mea culpa. At least the LIVE WIRE is cheap and looks good (so it gets a revised review of 2 tamales). Do your butt a favor and get a Flight. I did.

Submitted by A. a cross-country rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

well they say that theres always one..... thats me today,i cant believe hopw many people actually like this saddle.Its sooooo uncomfortable.I have raced/ridden this thing for about a year and finally bought a new saddle(vetta transverse)at supergo on sale of course and couldnt believe the difference.IT FITS. I have to admit that iI wouldnt have known the difference had I not sat on a friends. The Velo had almost no travel/absorbtion and is a brick,and is 58g heavier on my scale,so those of you that have it DONT sit on anyones bike,youll be sorry.

Submitted by Cameron a weekend warrior from Vienna, VA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

Velo Live Wire saddle is a quality, comfortable, and inexpensive replacement.
If you're short on dough but want a quality saddle with good stitch work,ass-saving padding, and kevlar corners. Get one from Supergo @ $35. I'm 5-7, 172lbs. and I can get off,on, & around the saddle with no problems. For short or long rides!!

Submitted by Gary a racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this seat about 6 months ago, to replace my WTB, which had gotten bent seat rails and was killing my back. The seat is pretty good, a little narrow, and sometimes your shorts get caught on the front, which really sucks. Also, the nose goes right up your prostrate when you do really steep climbs. But, the rails are great, very comfy. For $30, not bad, I'd recommend checking out one of the new Serfas seats I've seen lately, lots of improvements over this one.

Submitted by George a cross-country rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: January 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I consisdered getting a new WTB SST saddle with all the Kevlar and Ti yahoos that come
with it (it is supa cool lookin') but when I saw the $80 price tag I balked. I settled on the
$30 Velo Live Wire with kevlar wings and suspension positioned hollow chromoly rails.
Now my anterior thanks me. With the fifty bucks I saved on the seat I was able to get a new
liteweight seatpost. I think Velo also makes the seats for Serfas (turn over a Serfas seat and you'll see Velo
stamped on the shell) but is even more affordable. This saddle is comfortable and the
crossbow suspension takes the harsh edge off my aluminum frame. Bonus: the red LIVE
WIRE embroidery looks great, too. I highly recommend this saddle.

carpool for northstar's live wire classic this sunday

anyone doing this race? im planning on leaving davis around 7:30-8am to race. then ride the rest of the day. one day trip. respond to this thread or pm me if interested.Read More »

Live Wire Classic 2009 Video

Northstar Live Wire Downhill Race October 2009 I know it's not the best filming location but I was riding Gypsy and decided to stop there. If you see yourself and want the full length high quality clip of yourself, PM me.Read More »

Live Wire Classic

So, some regular questions: Whose racing? are you excited? etc... Also who has ever done this race? Is it fun. Im going to race regaurdless but it seems like its going to be a tiring SOBRead More »

What would be your build for Air DH? (A-Line/Live Wire)

If you were going to build a purpose machine for racing A-Line and/or Live Wire, how would you build up your rig? More air, less technical, plenty of speed and berms. Thanks, MBRead More »

spring show and tell and a little something for live wire finally

Hey yall, I threw up some pics on a new flickr. [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/26256739@N06/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/26256739@N06/[/URL] Rat Rod is totally inspired by some of my favorite frames from the early 90's, Eastern Woods Research. I had been wanting to build one for years and s ... Read More »