Home | Reviews | Saddle | Velo

3.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Crossbow

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Leather cover, Kevlar corner protectors, Embroidered logo/grip, Longer nose.

Weaknesses:    Very limited padding, very limited shock absorption & couldn't buy in Canadian Bike stores (1998).

Bottom Line:
I got this saddle when the stock Vetta on my 1996 GT Ricochet wore out. I got it from the Frankford Cycle catalog in 1998 as I could find none at my LBS. The information sounded really good - low price, leather cover, kevlar corners, embroidered logo and a longer nose. The seat has minimal padding (the Vetta was a lot better), I don't really feel the crossbow shock absoption so I bought a full suspension bike in mid 2001.
Bottom Line: A replacement saddle that I would only rate as good, the Vetta was twice as good and the Bontrager FS 2000 is the best sofar.

Purchased At:   Frankford Bicycle (1998)

Similar Products Used:   A no-name saddle stock on a 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, a replacement saddle as the stock one was too short & wide. A Vetta but not the TT (Tri-Shock) that came stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet. A Bontrager FS 2000 that came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Steve Spinella from Taichung, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    leather cover, gel insert

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
This is a good basic saddle. I like the leather, it got comfortable pretty quickly (after a month or so I stopped thinking about changing back.) It still looks new about a year into usage, but it feels more flexible.

As others have said, it allows movement front to back according to preference and for variety on the rear end.

At first the fabric blocks on the back end bothered me since the last seat didn't have them, but that passed quickly enough. It probably does help when sitting back on the seat since I don't have as much grip on the nose then.

Favorite Trail:   JD loop

Purchased At:   Three Peaks

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   kona explosif

Submitted by Trent a Weekend Warrior from Sale, Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2004

Strengths:    Good Looks, Good Price

Weaknesses:    A little uncomfy

Bottom Line:
This seat allows a lot of movement and its narrowness suits me (can get back of the seat when need)

Lately I have been using it for commuting as well as freeride and have been finding it quite hard and uncomfortable. It is a bit worn so I think its time for it to go (any suggestions on what to get next?)

The seat looks great though, would reccomend it to a freerider anyday - It served me well

Bike Setup:   Small Giant 870 w/Manitou X-Vert Forks, Freeride style setup

Submitted by roger a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    design and long term comfort

Bottom Line:
when it wears out i will buy another

Bike Setup:   kona firemountain 27sp

Submitted by Sunny Jimm a Downhiller from Sidney, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great Cross between a DownHill seat and a FreeRide seat. It is not too hard and not too soft. Allows for good movement and great positioning for leaning back.

Weaknesses:    Nothing So far.

Bottom Line:
Great Seat for downhill riding as well as for those people learning to wheelie or manual because it allows you to sit far back. Great product if you don't want to spend too much money on a DH/FR seat!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hartland

Purchased At:   Russ Hays

Similar Products Used:   FUNN Launch Pad

Bike Setup:   2002 Norco Katmandu

Submitted by joel a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    It looks like an expensive seat. The length allows much movement. It's a narrow seat which I've found works best for me. It's all about where your sit bones are. I tried a wider saddle and I hated it. This one is much better. I haven't spent more than an hour on the seat, so I'm not sure how it will feel in a long haul. I ride my Flite for that schtuff.

Weaknesses:    It's stapled to the frame. The rails are CR-MO.

Bottom Line:
I used to think a narrow seat would be nasty, but they aren't. It works for me. But, maybe not for you. My fave shape is a scoop seat with a long nose because it work with my sit bones. A long seat gives me room to move up on climbs and move back on the descents, The Crossbow isn't as scooped as I'd like, but it does have some curve to it. A Salsa seat I had pushed the area behind "the boys" so much I didn't really want to ride that much (too flat across the top). That's not cool.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap GT saddle, San Marco Salsa, Selle Italia Flite Ti. Didn't know how good the GT was until I tried something else.

Submitted by number 4 from manchester,ct

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Strengths:    titanium rails i think, looks neat, fairly light

Weaknesses:    makes me arse hurt

Bottom Line:
Listen, I got this seat for 13 bucks so i wasn't expecting much. It is lighter, more durable and looks much cooler than the coda seat it replaced. It is also thinner so it's easier to transfer weight back. The downside is if you ride for more than an hour it makes your bum hurt pretty bad. But hey, if I wanted a comfy hobby i'd take up golf. only 3 flaming sandbars for making sitting down ouchy

Favorite Trail:   case mountain

Purchased At:   newington cycle

Similar Products Used:   coda seat

Bike Setup:   cannondale f400

Submitted by Kurt a Weekend Warrior from state college Pa

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Its plussh, kewl designs, i like the gel

Weaknesses:    it feels huge, i used to ride a pretty narrow Gt seat, i still have to get used to this one. I got this seat seatpost and assembly(not that i couldnt have done it myself) for $50.00

Bottom Line:
its a snazzy look, i just gotta get used to it

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery