Trico Sports Split-Rail Saddle

1.85/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 320 grams MSRP : $125.00

• First saddle tunable for rail tension, saddle stiffness, and symmetry
  • Multiple adjustments to saddle geometry
  • Ti rails
  • Precision CNC'd aluminum undercarriage
  • Sleek, durable New Hyde cover

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ray a Racer from toledo Oh

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    its a bike saddle. it dont hurt the but when fitted to the person

Weaknesses:    looks cool or cheap depending on who is looking at it. heavy.. but it has metal components to it not nylon or plastic. it does squeek a bit... its not nylon or plastic

Bottom Line:
    if you need an ergo seat or you ride gret distances. this is it.. ( use an mp3 player to drwn out the occasional squeek. If tried tape to deaden the squeeks .. dont work.
    I truely believe some of these reviews are made by people who do not own or have ever actually ridden the saddle. If you find one for under $50.. go for it. its not a lightweight saddle but it is far from the heaviest either.

Similar Products Used:   you name it

Submitted by Holly a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Strengths:    Maybe cuz I'm a chick, the experience is totally different. I LOVE the saddle. It adjusts perfectly for my anatomy. I don't feel a thing. The saddle is quite a bit narrower than the chunky women specific saddles.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy.

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 110lbs and ride for distance vs. aggressiveness. The saddle is in great condition even after a couple thousand kilometres. Maybe it's better suited for women and light riders.

Similar Products Used:   Terry, Selle (like sitting on a thumbtack)

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Tuscany

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Rutland, MA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    None that I can think of.

Weaknesses:    Squeaks, poor quality, uncomfortable, heavy, expensive.

Bottom Line:
    This is the worst saddle I have ever ridden. I tried it on both my road and XC bikes and hated it equally on both. Firstly, this saddle is extremely noisy. No amount of lube seemed to stop the releentless squeaking. After only about 800 miles of road use, the padding started coming off the right rail. This saddle is poorly constructed, especially given the price. Also, this thing is a tank. I think it's around 400 grams. It feels heavier than the comfort saddle on my wife's Trek 7500. I guess my most important gripe is that I was never able to get this thing adjusted such that it was actually comfortable. I think this saddle actually put more pressure on my "soft tissue areas" because the narrower rails don't distribute your weight as well. There is no way to eliminate the pressure points toward the front of the saddle. This is a very poor design, I would give 0 Flamin' Chilis if I could.

Favorite Trail:   Midstate

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite, Titec Ithys, Selle San Marco

Bike Setup:   Ventana La Bruja, XTR

Submitted by Jake a Cross Country Rider from West Virginia

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    matches the color of my bike

Weaknesses:    everything...noisy, heavy, limited adjustability, expensive and worst of all bad customer service!!! Warranty paper is as useful as a piece of toilet paper

Bottom Line:
    I had lots of problems with this saddle. When I called Trico Sports to ask for warranty replacement they pretended they couldn't hear me and hang up on me. Save your hard earned money on something else. zero flames for value and zero overall ratings.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Terry

Submitted by Jim C a Racer from Trexlertown, PA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Designed to save the anatomy

Weaknesses:    Poor materials, craftmanship meant saddle feels great at first, then horrible shortly thereafter.

Bottom Line:
    Tried the Trico3 for over 1 year, Split Rail for 2 mos, and new Prima EX (avail @ Nashbar) for 1 mo. Split Rail padding began to crush & give way to hard plastic underneath after a few weeks. Hoped Prima EX better, & would have solved Split Rail's known problems. Seemed to be designed as light-weight racing saddle; unfortunately in my opinion was a complete flop - literally. I placed one on my road bike & one on my track bike. I weigh 187 #s and after riding on them about 4 hrs/week each for about 4 weeks, they BOTH cracked/folded/failed/gave (however you want to say it) across the middle where most of my weight comes down. While they didn't break in two, the fold meant they caved down in the middle, allowing my weight to hit the top of the seatpost (ouch), and an edge crack jutting out the sides began to cut into my thigh as I rode (ouch). Needless to say I replaced them fairly quickly with different saddles (Terry Zero (black) - works well so far after 2 weeks) once this started happening. These were a replacement for a previous failed Trico saddle (Trico3 mtn bike saddle), so I'm not getting the impression Trico has strong standards/quality control for the higher mileage, harder racing-style rider.

Favorite Trail:   The Derby, Trexlertown, PA

Purchased At:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   San Marco Era K, Trico3 (with firestripes), Terry Zero

Bike Setup:   Trek 2300 Road with Ultegra, KHS Steel Track frame with Sugino

Submitted by Rick Lange a Racer from Carriere, MS

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    This is a great saddle! You can get the proper width, and it does not put any pressure on the soft tissue areas ! This is the best anatomical saddle in existance.

Weaknesses:    Weight is the only weakness! But the comfort factor makes up for it! Perhaps not quite as durable as other saddles if you crash alot! But it is the best thing available for anyone who has soft tissue problems or numbness from cycling saddles!

Bottom Line:
    I highly recoommend this product.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   89.oo Nahsbar

Similar Products Used:   Just about every saddle every made!

Bike Setup:   Klein , Full XTR!

Submitted by Tim Brown a Cross Country Rider from Wash, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Greatly helps my hemorrhoid problem. (I'm not kidding)

Weaknesses:    Complex, heavy, not durable. Unless you have serious medical issues down in that area this is not the seat for you.

Bottom Line:
    I keep the rail tensioners at their loosest setting. Maybe that's why mine hasn't broke. I weigh 145lbs. When I first used this seat it creaked and groaned. I disassembled the seat and put a small dab or heavy (auto wheel bearing) grease on the end of the rails and in the tension nuts. That keeps it quiet for 6 months or so. The outer lining of one cushion is coming loose at the bottom. Soon I'll have an excuse to get a better seat. Granted, I haven't had to go under the knife to get
    blood clots removed (not fun!) }:( in the year that i've used this seat. Of that I'm grateful.

Similar Products Used:   Stock seat.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale T400 touring bike. I commute a total of 4mi/day to work plus weekend riding. Owned 4 years.

Submitted by Osama Ja Sai a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    I enjoyed explaining to my friend what I can do with the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Everything else. The saddle broke within the first 10 rides. Bad customer service from Trico Sports.

Bottom Line:
    The worst equipment I have bought for my bike. I would never buy Trico Sports products again. This saddle is only good for taking it up Osama Bin Laden's rear end.

Submitted by Kurt a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    None. Like the previous users said, the saddle is absolutely the worst saddle in the world. My broke after just 3 weeks and I am not even a heavy weight.

Weaknesses:    You name it.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this saddle!!! You will regret it. Ever wonder why it is on sale everywhere now? Because every shop is trying to unload it. I would have given it a zero flaming chili if I have the option.

Similar Products Used:   Terry Ti-race Liberator

Bike Setup:   Specialized M5

Submitted by Nick Smith a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    It looks cool. Good idea but bad design.

Weaknesses:    Saddle sqeaks. Something is wrong with the moving parts of the saddle. I tried to lube it every ride. Very annoying. Heavy and expensive.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this saddle. A total waste of money. You can find a much better and comfortable saddle without messing with the rail tension and width.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota XC

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Torrance

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort if adjusted right.

Weaknesses:    Noisy!!!, weight, Very bad customer service from Trico Sports. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
    Trico Sports promised 1 inch of travel in width adjustment. In reality, you only get about half an inch of adjustability. Because they are so many moving parts, screws, this saddle gets noisy and sqeaks in no time. I had to lube it every two rides. The rail tension adjustment feature makes little difference in saddle stiffness. Cover peels easily. Even with the use of titanium rails this saddle weights 400+ grams. Worst of all, the plastic base where the the screw anchors to the pads gave after only three monthes of use. I called trico sports' customer service at 2:30pm on Jan 28th, 2002 and each time they say my phone is breaking off after I told them the reason I called. I felt stupid spending 95 bucks on this saddle.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Saddles.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC NRS 1.

Submitted by Olen Penn a Racer from Plano, Tx

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    completely numb after the HHH, noisy, expensive

Bottom Line:
    Good idea, bad product. This product was reviewed recently in Bicycle mag, but they didn't do an extensive time test on it. I just threw my saddle away because after a 45 mile ride, I had really bad puss bubbles along the right side of my inner thigh were the seat had pressed. I took the saddle off the post and looked at it and noticed that the padding had come undone and the right side of the saddle was lower than the left. I do remember some discomfort the last two weeks while riding. I wouldn't recommend this saddle at all. I gave it 3 chilis for value because it's not the worst saddle out there, but the price makes it a 1 chili value.

Purchased At:   Nashbar