Home | Reviews | Saddle | Topo

Topo Performance KT Comp Saddle Saddle

Topo Performance KT Comp Saddle

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Beaverton, Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    ++kevlar sides
++narrow
++comfy (when broken in)
++pretty light for the money
++no stitching to eat up your shorts and get worn down
++no creaks
++cheap (buy it on sale!)

Weaknesses:    --decals rubbed off
--really gotta hang in there till it's broken in

Bottom Line:
I have actually had this seat for more like 8 months and it has been awesome. MTBR.com should really just let you fill in how long you have used products instead of giving you menu choices.

At any rate, I love this saddle to death. The decals were ugly so I'm kinda glad they rubbed off. Besides that, the shape is what has made me such a fan of this saddle. Being so narrow "toughens you up" and doesn't feel like it gets in the way when descents and singletrack get tight & tricky.

Honestly, I am getting a new saddle (not that I need one but X-mas is coming, take advantage of others' generosity) so I will move the Topo Comp to my commuter bike. I'm very hesitant to pick up anything new because I have a powerful aversion to short-eating stitching and cut-out love channels.

Great saddle for the money (especially on sale).

Purchased At:   Performance in Beaverton, Or

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Selle, as well as a bunch of stock seats

Bike Setup:   '02 Access, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic 517's & Fire XC Pro, '02 Duke XC
-and-
'02 Mongoose DX 4.0, Deore/LX/XT drivetrain, '01 Judy XC, Mavic 221's & Tom Slicks (setup for commuting)

Submitted by fattirewilly a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Strengths:    Price, weight, durablity

Weaknesses:    No brand name??

Bottom Line:
This is a good deal. The saddle with the kelvar and Ti rails only weighs 220 grams. At $40 you can't beat it. I've riden 2 different Topo saddles over the last 4 years. I weigh 200 and these things just hold up well, and the Kevlar is a great addition. I don't have the new one with the grove in the middle, but I would buy it if I needed a seat.

Also, the underside of my seat reveals that it is actually made by Velo.

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   Airborne Ti w/ X-Fly and various XT/XTR/Raceface

Submitted by T C a Cross Country Rider from The Other Valley

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Strengths:    Support and price.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
It was such a good saddle to me, that I bought one for my road bike. Saddle comfort varies from person to person. For me a firm saddle works best. I've done plenty of 4 hour rides with this saddle and have been quite satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   The One I'm Riding

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Concor, Selle, Brooks

Bike Setup:   856 ProFlex with some stuff

Submitted by Robert Dietz a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    inexpensive
light

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work as advertised
stiff

Bottom Line:
I was hoping this seat would fix the numbness I have beend experiencing at the 1 hour point in my rides. But no help. Will now try Kooka or Specialized. This one goes back.

Favorite Trail:   tape worm

Similar Products Used:   Selle Royal NRG

Bike Setup:   K2 Proflex 4000/

Submitted by ICHIROW SAWA a Weekend Warrior from JUNEAU, ALASKA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Strengths:    I bought this saddle at Performance Store in Bellevue, Washington with all the sales people saying it was the best, but it is about the worst saddle I've used. I get sore after about an hour or so no matter how I adjust the positions of the saddle. The store first suggested that I use it for at least a month before I could return, and then told me it was too long since I bought it, and will not take it back or exchange.

Weaknesses:    Just is not comfortable at all.

Bottom Line:
Spend more money and time reserching, and get a good one.

Favorite Trail:   Mendenhall Glacier

Similar Products Used:   None like this one.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump Jumper. Manitou Pro front shock. Thud Buster Quadra-Post.

Submitted by Sfa a Racer from Stillwater,NJ

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Strengths:
light

Weaknesses:
weak

Bottom Line:
This seat is crap. I had it for a month and the kevlar started to rip on the corners. It is supposed to have suspension but it just has hard plastic support pieces. They are so weak, it defeats the purpose of titanium rails. They bent and broke easily and I only weigh 130 pounds. It's also hard as a rock. You could get a better seat for less money that would last a lot longer than one month. Dont waste your money.

sfa@pacsun.com

less than 1 month

crap

Specialized Rock Hopper Comp FS, Manitou sx-d

Submitted by Rich a Cross-Country Rider from Daytona, FL

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Strengths:
Light
Damn nice looking!

Weaknesses:
Still not all that comfie

Bottom Line:
The bottom line, it's not a bad seat all around. The only reason I really got it is because it matches the rear end of my bike, which is Yellow. It has Ti rails and kevlar material covering it. It could stand to be a little softer but hell, how often do you sit down on the seat when you're hauling ass through the woods. But when on the road going from class to class at school, thicker padding would help! But overall, not bad, considering I got it onsale from Performancebike.com. All in all, for the price, I'll live.

Tom Brown Park, Tallahassee

less than 1 month

Factory Coda seat that came on the bike

GIANT MCM990, Mavic X517 rims, LX crank/v-brakes/levers, XT cassette/shifters/derailleurs