Home | Reviews | Saddle | Tioga

• 140g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ater a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2013

Strengths:    good

Weaknesses:    ok

Submitted by Ari

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light (Duh!), surprisingly comfortable, awesome unique look, relatively inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    might not be the best for heavier riders, Tioga recommends replacing yearly

Bottom Line:
    I swapped out the stock saddle on my bike with the Twin Tail version in red. What a difference! Unlike my previous saddle, I can ride this without padded shorts and still feel fine (it's great with padded shorts). Whats more, my bike feels slightly more responsive now that there's 170 grams less up top. I think this seat is a great upgrade for lighter riders who want to save weight on their rigs. (as reference, I weigh 147)

Submitted by Jeff

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Flexible, yet firm - not soft or squishy, but surprisingly comfortable and forgiving.

Weaknesses:    Only one I can see, can get expensive, too - it's wearing a seat-shaped pattern in my bib shorts, fraying the threads. Not good.

Bottom Line:
    I really liked this saddle, until I saw that it's tearing up some of my favorite bibs!! I'm probably going to remove it and keep it as a "novelty", it is cool, and gets a lot of attention from other riders. It's surprisingly comfy - almost better than my Specialized Toupe - only, my Toupe doesn't wear away the fabric of my bibs. So, sorry Tioga Spyder - not made for road riders who like to save money, and not buy bibs all the time!

Submitted by BruceBrown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines, IA - USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    This review is for the Tioga D-Spyder saddle which is more off road oriented than the road version Spyder. The D-Spyder is light (165g), strong and weather proof.

Weaknesses:    None in terms of performance yet, but quality added shorts are required. Rails are pretty short giving minimal fore/aft adjustment possibilities, but with proper seatpost height I was able to dial in my preferred fit.

Bottom Line:
    BMX designed, yet durable enough for XC off road riding compared to the road version Spyder which is not as off road friendly. Combined with good quality XC racing bib shorts, this saddle feels a lot better than I expected. I have not been on any rides longer than 3 hours yet, but I have not had an issue with my usual weekly training rides in the 2 - 2 1/2 hour range. There is a trade off for the minimalist shell and weather proof saddle in terms of a bit of missed comfort, but my backside has adapted quite well and I'm going to keep it on for some upcoming races. I'd rank it a 4 out of 5 for comfort (which is higher than I was expecting when I ordered it). I figured for $32 if I didn't like it, the expense wasn't going to set me back. Turns out I really like it.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Minimal padded saddles such as the WTB Devo/Deva line, Titec (older models that were minimalist).

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP 9 set up for XC and shorter Endurance races. I wanted a saddle that wouldn't absorb water and mud to use for events less than 4 hours.

Submitted by wheels.msl a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    like, looks cool, comfy (for me)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    So far I have had great service from this saddle. It was comfortable from the start and remains my fave saddle to ride. I'm a 195 lb rider at it has held up well for the year.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   stella, bontrager, lots of cheapo saddles

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD7, Trek Madone 6.9

Submitted by jadamsmtb a Cross Country Rider from Medford, MA USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Strengths:    looks so cool people stop to take pics of it and discuss it's lackof merits

Weaknesses:    like riding a cheese grater- my crotch is aching this morning! may be just a little better with cycling shorts

Bottom Line:
    i work in the industry so i scored this saddle for free directly from tioga and will not be installing it on any of my sweet bikes. i am happy with my specialized toupe gel. will unload this on e-bay to some sorry buyer. 1 flaming value chilli even though i got it for free!

Purchased At:   Tioga

Similar Products Used:   specialized avatar, alias, toupe, selle itialia slr, flite, bontrager saddles, so many more

Bike Setup:   installed saddle on my single speed/fixed gear

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Salinas, CA, US

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    Can move around great and super light!!

Weaknesses:    A little bit hard, but if you wear padded shorts, your fine.

Bottom Line:
    A good seat for a competor or weight weenie. No one should be complaing about the weight or feel. Compare this to some 200$ saddels and you find that this is lighter and cheaper, probally even feels better. I haven't had any bennding or breaking problems, but I just got it.

Purchased At:   Christmas..???

Similar Products Used:   Spealizied Rival

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper with light XRP wheels

Submitted by Daryl Evans a Racer from Nashville

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2007

Strengths:    looks, light weight

Weaknesses:    edges are not rounded off enough

Bottom Line:
    I put this saddle on my road bike for something different. I have ridden it for 1 season and have had no major issues. It is quite light, gets a lot of attention and is mostly comfortable. The only negative I have found is the outside edge of the saddle isn't rounded as much as my flyte. I had some chaffing issues until I got used to it, now it is comfortable. The "sag" caused by the "webbing" takes a few months to get broken in, but once there, makes the saddle much more comfortable. Sliding fore and aft is very easy. Anyone looking for a durable, long lasting MTB saddle probably shouldn't choose this one. If, however, you ride rode, or light off-road, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   flyte

Bike Setup:   full carbon road bike, all Campy 10sp

Submitted by Garry a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, Cool looks, Pretty comfy for the seasoned back side. Very smooth and easy to slide around on.

Weaknesses:    Would not recommend for the new rider, Almost too smooth.

Bottom Line:
    I would buy another, Great for the weight consious. Retail price is a little high for what you get. 4 chili's for value. 4 Chili's for overall, it's not the most comfy saddle out there, but it is LITE!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Titus MotoLite

Submitted by Emerson Howe a Cross Country Rider from Jericho, Vt

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    Bithchin' looks, light weight, impress your friends!

Weaknesses:    Uhhhh.... it broke. Also it was $75 f***ing dollars, which is still less than full price.

Bottom Line:
    Although it looks amazing, I was rather disappointed with it. I could never get it do be dialed in so it was comfortable. I have a Fetish Cycles carbon fiber set on an old aluminum Cannondale road bike, so I'm not a wus about seats. Another downside is it's price; regardless of what you pay (anywhere from $45 on eBay or $110ish new), Tioga recommends that you replace it every season. I'm 15 lbs below their max weight and it only lasted for 3 light races. If you are a lightweight it may work better for you, but I really think it depends on your body build. Try one out first if you can, because not only is it expensive but if you race with it you won't want to sit on anything thinner than a couch the next day.

Bottom Line: If you are a light weight weenie with disposable income and a hard ass, buy it. All others: don't be seduced by its looks, it's not worth the pain.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   A seatpost up my bum.

Bike Setup:   2001 Gary Fisher Paragon with Avid BB5's.

Submitted by yarrum nayrb a Weekend Warrior from somewhere in busharagua

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks & believe it or not...comfort

Weaknesses:    Friends & strangers want to take it for a test ride.

Bottom Line:
    FOR MEDIUM TO ADVANCED XC sessions I've had no trouble with the Spyder and would buy one again.
    My Lands Down Under are fine with it. You might not pick it for your first saddle,though. Knew from MTBReview that this component was iffy for breakage, so I bought a month-old one for half price on eBay. I ride 4 times a week @ 2 hrs a session. Although barely tall enough for a medium frame, I'm close to the stated weight limit for these saddles. Why so many break reports? Theory:
    MAYBE Spyders are incompatable with carbon fiber seat posts and the whole set up is over-flexing & breaking at the rails (my post is a full-metal-Thomson.
    This is useful & stylin component for out-of-the-closet weight weenies with smooth riding technique... which is, c-mon, the target audience for all super light components of this type.

Favorite Trail:   tranquility base

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Koobi AU Enduro, WTB Rocket, host of others.

Bike Setup:   06 S.C. Superlight, Thomson post/stem, Reba Race,Monkey-Lite, Dangerboy levers, Cane Creek Terros, hemi, W '04 stickers (from eBay), carbon fiber shotgun rack, busty chick mudflaps...

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from nyc

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    bend rails on first ride.

Bottom Line:
    this saddle is garbage. i am 5.9", 160lbs when out of shape. conservative, smooth riding style. no jumps. bent rails on first ride and lost red rubber thingies on the back of seat. tioga does not respond to phone calls or emails. zero customer service. is there more to say?

Purchased At:   ebay, brand new

Similar Products Used:   slr, slk, fizik etc.

Bike Setup:   29er ss. 32/20.

Submitted by Brad a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    must be broken in

Bottom Line:
    what it is is what it is.... you wimps need to shut up and ride. it will break in and flex as good as any lite-weight saddle with a layer of leather. If youre a weight weenie then get it.

Favorite Trail:   vert ones