Home | Reviews | Saddle | Terry

Terry Fly Carbon Saddle

Terry Precision Fly Carbon Saddle: Top-end racing/performance saddle with signature Terry cutaway center. Designed for female or male anatomy with gender-specific shape and size. Low profile, flat top with multi-density injection molded foam. Lightest Terry model with carbon fiber rails, smooth leather top and carbon weave accent material on sides and back of saddle.

Submitted by cspike

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2013

Strengths:    Light, smooth and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    For the original with the vinyl scuff panels, I would say durability. The scuff panel wasn't located well for me, and it provided a seem that I wore out over time. The new version no longer has these panels.

Bottom Line:
I have had 4 terry saddles so far. I still have the original terry fly with the ti rails and the textured cover. I use it on my commuter bike these days, but it is still alive and kicking after almost 10 years. I tried a fizik for a while, and an aspide, but I always come back to the fly saddle. I purchased the first gen of the fly carbon with the gray vinyl-like panels. I liked the idea of the panels for leg rub protection, but they only provided a seem for me to wear through with my legs. This also caused some wear on my shorts. I always wondered about the width of the nose on the saddle as well; it seemed wider than it should have been. I compared it to my fly ti to confirm. I figured it was due to the vinyl panels, and I recently confirmed it when I purchased the newest version of this saddle. I love the newest version. Perfect width for my sit bones, and the absence of the vinyl panels makes for a narrower and smoother nose. The saddle is smooth all around, and some might not like that in this age where some texture may be desired. The rails also changed a little from the first gen version, and it seems to provide more usable area to clamp. The saddle cover is decorative, but it's very subtle. I have also tried their flx version, and it was a little too narrow for me. At this weight and price point, I would definitely recommend trying the terry fly series of saddles. Saddle comfort is hard to give up just to cut a few grams, and the fly carbon provides both for me. I do use this saddle on my road bike, not mtb, but it wasn't available for review on the road bike site.

Submitted by High Desert Norwegian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light, comfy, not too narrow, not too wide. The most comfortable saddle I have used on dirt in 20 years.

Weaknesses:    No wing side armor, so the sides scuff up pretty easy during a crash. Add some Kevlar to the sides and you will up an already awesome saddle / chili rating.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding Terry saddles ever since switching from my super narrow Flite saddles 10+ years ago. Super comfort. These Terry people have their act together. Fits my Clydesdale rear nicely while providing a very generous cutout for the tenders. Good traction on the saddle nose during tech / steep climbs due to stitching. Easy to slide off the back without catching when necessary. I have the Ti Fly saddle on my road bike and the Carbon Fly on my MTB. I demo others that come along and always come back to this one. Try a Terry saddle!

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I'm on at the time :)

Duration Product Used:   Over 2 years

Purchased At:   Over the Edge Sports

Similar Products Used:   Sella Italia Flite titanium. SDG. WTB narrow / Flite type.

Bike Setup:   2011 Turner Sultan 29r trail bike.