Spiderflex Saddle Saddle

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

The Dependable, Durable Bike Seat !

• Super-tough, all-weather polyurethane seat pads
  • High-grade polished stainless steel frame
  • Comfortable pre-loaded suspension system

The New Generation Bike Saddles !

• Comfortable ergonomic saddle design
  • Fits standard seat posts and clamps
  • Easy installation

Comfortable Ergonomic Bicycle Seats !

• Comfortable ergonomic bicycle seats for all bike riders
  • Wide seat area for better weight distribution
  • Ergonomic center relief eliminates pelvic/perineal pressure
  • Ventilated seat slots reduce heat/moisture buildup
  • Cradles your "sit-bones" to alleviate pressure points
  • Eliminates chafing on the inner thigh area
  • Comfortable "long ride" suspension system
  • Works great on trainers and exercise bikes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by sroussin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Strengths:    design
    customer service

Bottom Line:
    design: the only one with a suspension (1/2 inche)
    customer service: after 4 years of having m spiderflex, the metal structure snaped (manufacturing defect) and the company sent me a new one. I didn't see that defect in other reviews to it'a a rare case. Reliability and comfort is awesome. A proud canadian conception.
    Setting instalation: raise up tha handlebars as hight as possible and attached the bottom bracket of the seat at 1 inch from his tip. the seat will look way back but it's the most comfortable i'll become.

Favorite Trail:   Tremblant, Quebec

Duration Product Used:   more than 4 summer

Purchased At:   Spiderflex website

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Escanaba, MI, US

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent for no pressure between the legs, ie. prostate.
    No post ride discomfort. Very durable.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any weakness in the product. However after two years there seems to be less flex, a bit harder ride. I don't know if it a problem with the shock absorber, adjustment or just my old butt.,

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is this is a great product. It has given me two years of great riding with zero prostate discomfort.
    I ride everyday during what passes for a season in Michigan. I have tried many seats to relive discomfort but this is the best one I have found. Kudos to Spiderflex.

Favorite Trail:   Along Lake Michigan shore

Purchased At:   Spiderflex website

Similar Products Used:   I have a collection of "prostate friendly" seats. The type
    that still have a horn but are cut out in the center. They just don't work.

Bike Setup:   The set up is easy. Took about five minutes. You may need to do a few test rides the get the best position.

Submitted by BikeToAustralia a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    well made, well thought out design, IT WORKS - reduced pain, lots of adjustments available, both men and women can ride the same seat with less pain, increased air circulation cools you off and reduces saddle sores.

Weaknesses:    It is expensive. No horn in front means you can not ride no hands. All the adjustments you can make means you have to spend time and thought experimenting to find out what works for you. Sitting upright is the position the seat was designed for - riding in other positions is not that comfortable. The seat looks different, some people like the way it looks, some people don't.

Bottom Line:
    I love it. It works. I searched for "ergonomic" bicycle seats online, this seat made the most sense to me. It was designed from the bottom up, our bottoms.

Riding no hands is not an option for me anyways; my fully loaded, touring bike weighs 150 pounds. I live on my bike, this is my home, my life, my work. I rode 8,000 miles so far with this saddle. Comfortable is important. A recumbent might be more comfortable but nothing else I know of or can imagine is as comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   country roads with shoulders

Purchased At:   Pembina, their shipp

Similar Products Used:   Tried the Schwinn hornless saddle for a few minutes.

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike with child's ape hangers handlebars.
    _ _
    \_/ The handlebars are the right height for me to sit upright with my hands in a natural, comfortable position without tension or effort. Sitting upright is how the Spiderflex seat works.

I ride with a water bladder backpack, 30 pounds of bare essentials there, sitting upright is the least stress and effort for me.

Submitted by Townie Nut a Weekend Warrior from Winter Springs, Fla

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    Very well built. Excellent design over others out there. Easy to adjust. The shock is heavy duty. It has spring to it and my 250lbs. does have spring to it! Sweat doesn't absorb into the seat allowing it to rot away as the salts in our body will.

Weaknesses:    none at all.

Bottom Line:
    I've never written a product review until now. Been a bicycle enthusiast all my life. Always had the sore butt no matter what I rode. Twenty years ago, I remember seeing the Hobson easy seat in the back pages of bicycling magazine and thought what a wierd looking seat it is. And also thought they may be onto something with that design. As I'm getting into my middle ages, bought the Electra Townie which is the most comfortable bicycle "other than their seat" I've ever had. I had a Specialized Hardock mtb. Hands would go numb as well as the butt. I saw this hornless Schwinn seat in Wal Mart for twenty bucks. What is it going to hurt to try it! I was definately heading in the right direction. Traded that bike in for this Townie I dearly love to ride. I didn't keep the seat. So I was back to the sore tailbone and the "manly parts" getting that numbness going on again! So I get back on the search. I checked them all out. Read the reviews. Saw the prices....Holy crap! Over a hundred dollars for the SpiderFlex? Uh, I think I'll get the Hobson's easy seat! Bad move on my part. The customer service was great but the comfort of this seat just wasn't what I was looking for.I even bought the gel cushions for it. They slid around and made it feel like you going to roll off the seat. So I decided to drop the hundred-ten bucks and buy the SpiderFlex. I rode less than a quarter mile and if my butt was smiling!I usually averaged twenty miles on a long weekend ride. And my butt was sore on the easy seat...I rode 40 miles that weekend with my SpiderFlex. If you have the soreness and numbness going on, save your money up and get this set. Between two different companies with the same concept, nothing came remotely close to the quality or comfort of this seat.And I must say that Doug Sylvester from SpiderFlex is an awesome customer service rep.! Like I said before, I've never wrote a review until now. I give it five stars all the way.

Favorite Trail:   Seminole Cross Trail

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   schwinn hornless seat. The Hobson easy seat-with the gel covers.

Bike Setup:   Electra Townie 21D

Submitted by lolmaus a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    * It really saves you from pains in the ass when you ride long. If you ride it for a long time, you might feel pain, but it is a lot smaller than from a usual seat. It would be like when sitting for a long time on a wooden bench. It is way less painful than
    * It amortizes bumbs. When you ride it, rough asphalt is smoother. The amortization only covers small bumps. Inside the cartridge there is just a simple spring without any absorber.
    * It lets you hop to the ground easily — thanks to lack of nose.

Weaknesses:    * It doesn't let you control your bike with your thighs. It is a great disadvantage! If you ride between cars, you can only control the bike alignment with your hands which is way more difficult. Releasing one hand (to gesticulate or wipe sniffles) might be dangerous, releasing both hands is almost impossible.

*It might be dangerous when taking a bumpy slope. When riding over bumps, the saddle kicks your ass to the front. A strong bump during a descent may push you off the seat. And as there's nothing between your thighs you will most likely lose control of your bike.

* It requires a set back seat post bought separately. When looking at Spiderflex, you might think: why there are so long brackets? In fact, they aren't long enough! That's because Spiderflex should be under your buttocks, not under your perineum like a conventional seat. Spiderflex manufacturer admits that on their website and suggests that you buy a set back seatpost.

* It costs a fortune . I paid $150 for the seat and overseas delivery. Here in Russia you can buy a nice road bike for this sum.

* The spongy material wears out quickly and it's not replaceable. Consider wrapping the spongy halves with a reinforced sticky tape.

Bottom Line:
    I bought a Spiderflex out of curiousosity. I read positive and negative opinions about it. Positive ones were from people suffering from pains/illnesses that would not let them ride a conventional saddles. Negative opinions were from bikers who did not actually try it! It is clear that opinions of both camps can't be considered unbiased. So i decided to try it myself.

I rode Spiderflex once on my commuter (Marin Muirwoods 29er) and immediately put a usual seat back. I will never ride Spiderflex on a sport-like bike again (by "sport-like" i mean any conventional mountain or road bike).

But i found a great use to it on my custom stretch cruiser Joseph Stalin http://www.picamatic.com/view/3508062_02052009328/ (i'm going to replace its seat with Spiderflex, assembled a prototype fastening already).

So this seat is either for those who have prostatitis, piles or other problems that won't let them use a conventional seat, or for owners of bikes that do not require balancing when riding: choppers, lowriders, etc.

Purchased At:   spiderflex.com