Specialized Sport Saddle

3.93/5 (68 Reviews)

NOS Specialized Sport Saddle. Direct replacement for any bicycle saddle. 270mm length, 150mm width, 335 gram weight.

Submitted by Justin from Mill Valley

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Strengths:    Isn't too ugly.

Weaknesses:    Not comfortable.

Bottom Line:
This seat came stock on my bike. I didn't notice how much it sucked for a couple of months. I bought a WTB Rocket V Race and i love it. DON'T BUY THIS.

Bike Setup:   05 HR Pro, bomber z1 freeride, Weirwolf tire and grips, zuzu pedals

Submitted by mike j a Weekend Warrior from mt. pleasant, MI, usa

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Weaknesses:    heavy, not very good padding, squeeked after a couple of weaks

Bottom Line:
seemed ok at first, but after a couple of weeks still made my butt numb. Also started squeeking a bit. I'll keep it around for an extra just in case. Wouldn't buy this one though.

Favorite Trail:   anything i can find

Similar Products Used:   other stock saddles

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized HR Comp, WTB saddle, lx front, PlanetBike computer, Race Face Good&Evil grips

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    It looks nice and it's narrow so it doesn't get in my way.

Weaknesses:    Cheap pleather got ripped after one week. Could be more colourful, I guess.

Bottom Line:
I don't bother too much with saddles, so long as the one I use doesn't get in my way (trials involves lots of standing up). This saddle is comfortable enough for when I am sitting down, plus it looks kinda cool. Everyone thinks the little groove at the back end is for "releasing gas" (it doesn't do much else).

Favorite Trail:   Urban Trials

Purchased At:   Duke's On Queen

Similar Products Used:   WTB (hard like a rock).

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by Alex Whitney a Weekend Warrior from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    Relatively inexpensive(although list price is not acceptable)

Weaknesses:    Padding defeats purpose of groove, only average workmanship on this seat

Bottom Line:
Decent if only average seat, don't see the point of the love groove because a) the padding is so soft the groove disappears under my weight, and b) the groove is only at the very back of the seat, should be up front more. In hindsight I should have bought a BG Comp seat(or another brand altogether) with a little less padding, but that's not the company's fault.

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Dale Competition, Selle Italia Trans Am Gel Flow

Bike Setup:   2001 Dale Bad Boy Ultra

Submitted by Mike Croker a Cross Country Rider from Steyning, West Sussex, UK

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Didn't break, looks cool (if you like that sort of thing), has rubbing strips for wall parking, no numb nuts (but not suffered from any of my other saddles...)

Weaknesses:    Squeaked from time to time, featureless feel - block of foam on top of a stick

Bottom Line:
It worked in terms of comfort, but never felt that good....

Favorite Trail:   South Downs Way

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST, Ritchey Vector Plus Rail, Trek (cheap basic one)

Bike Setup:   Trek 830 with Manitou Spyder R forks and various other upgrades

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, Az

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Affordable, comfortable. Keeps the goodies from getting damaged.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
It's a great saddle for the price, what it lacks in low weight it makes up for in comfort.

Favorite Trail:   Estrella Mtn.

Purchased At:   Southwest Bikes

Similar Products Used:   stock Bontrager saddle.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 SLR, Marzocchi Atom Race Z.2, LX/XT, Shimano pd-m515's, Avid Single Digit Ti's.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    It is standard on most Specialized Bikes. Body Geometry works for my butt.

Weaknesses:    A little hard, not too my flex.

Bottom Line:
Suprisingly comfy for me. Most saddles that are standard on bikes in the $400-700 price range are not this good. I like it, but if I had another bike I would try something different. I will not ber replacing it this season though.

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST, Nashbar...

Bike Setup:   Specialized HR Comp

Submitted by Jamez from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    -Came with my bike.
-Looks like my bike.
-Hasn't broken off and left me with a seatpost up my ass

Weaknesses:    -Reliability blows
-Quality sucks
-Uncomfortable as hell

Bottom Line:
The stupid pleather material gets ripped fairly easily. The staple from underneath the crotch area came out, leaving my pleather just protruding. My ass and balls hurt.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSRxc

Submitted by SledgeFoot a Cross Country Rider from W. LA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    Price - got it on sale for $19

Weaknesses:    - rails creak
- pleather material builds up heat

Bottom Line:
Being a lightweight rider, I thought more padding was the ticket for my rear that had little padding of it's own.

But not so!

Even though it's has the cut out love channel, the think padding of the saddle still semi causes pressure on the crotch area.

Having a butt that has little padding of it's own, means that your crotch area sits lower than say a person with a more fat on their tush. So as your sit bones sink into the padding, your crotch does aswell.

So pass on this saddle if you are lightweight rider.

I found that the BG Pro with it's thinner padding is more comfortable that this saddle.

The rails creaked on the first ride and only got worse over time. The sound is distracting and raises questions about durability.

The pleather cover material is not durable for mtn bike riding. Also, as your legs pedal, the friction builds up alot of heat, the most I have felt for a saddle.

If you are in the market for a plush sport saddle, the Serfas Rx Performance is similarly shaped and is of better quality.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from St.pete , Fl,

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    The seat keeps my package happy. I ride to be happy. I have been using the seat scince they first came out with it and I could afford it. The 1.5in foam padding in soft for my 300 lb A$$. It has takin a beating and is still fine for the wear. It has survived big crashes and yard sales.

Weaknesses:    It takes a few rides to find your spot. Too far up and your boys get sqeezed(that may be a positive for you)too far back and your balance is off. The rails could be longer for better positioning, however,this is an old model.

Bottom Line:
My package stays happy during the ride so I can get happy after the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Uranium Road, Jim Thorpe PA

Purchased At:   WV Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   This was my first split seat and it has not failed me yet.

Bike Setup:   The seat has carried me on two bikes. First old hard tail Rockadile LX , now a Giant Warp DS1 full susp. disk front and rear, coil over, with fat man upgrades in the fork Marz. Bomber and XTcranks, 1000lb spring.

Submitted by WORM a Weekend Warrior from Hollywood, Florida

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Very confortable, looks cool, and you can sit on it!

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side, cover doesn't like crashes. Probably won't last me very long

Bottom Line:
This seat was on a used bike that I bought. The first time I rode the bike for a good ride, was the first time my butt didn't hurt. And it's not too big and it's very affordable.
I'm starting to see thru the cover on both sides after a few crashes. Buy it and don't crash!!!

Favorite Trail:   Oleta, North Miami beach

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Yes!

Bike Setup:   Canondale CAAD2 frame, Manitou X-vert, Python Gold Tires,
Sun-Ringle bars and pedals,V-brakes, Shimano...

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from London, England

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Does it's advertised job of protecting my tackle from numbness.
Comfort.
Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    A little extra pressure on the sit bones.
Heavy.
Cover looks light weight, as if it will tear easily.

Bottom Line:
The saddle performs well and is comfortable, prevents numbness after rides. I've put in a couple of heavy going (British Winter) five hour rides since I've had this.

As mentioned the covering looks flimsy and the saddle is quite heavy, although as mentioned it is inexpensive.

An interesting thing to note is saddle positioning, I usualy position my saddle far back on the rails to extend my ride position so I am low and aggressive. I found that if I did this I lost the advantages of the Body Geometry. As a result I've got the seat a little further forward than normal.

I've found this saddle a little too wide in the rear end, this is to be expected as it comes in the sport class. The upshot of this is that during technical and fast descents when usually lent really far back, some control is lost as the legs are pushed farther apart, meaning some of the deft touch on the saddle with the thighs is lost.

For the price this saddle is excellent. I plan to uograde to either the pro or comp version to take advantage of lighter weight, slimmer profile and hardier materials (Kevlar in the pro version I think).

Favorite Trail:   Wendover/Chilterns

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery (price is in UK pounds)

Similar Products Used:   Generic saddles

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike. Race Face/XTR setup.

Submitted by Rayin a Cross Country Rider from FL

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    My equipment functions immediately after a ride.

Weaknesses:    Seat rails are a bit creaky but under a 6'4" 235lb rider riding with the seat back as far as possible I don't know to many saddles that wouldn't

Bottom Line:
My one complaint is more of a seatpost issue I can't fault the saddle too much for that. The printing wore off the kevlar panels on the sides. (Oh darn now Specialized won't get their free ad space on my bike.) I've ridden this seat for hours on end with no problems. So what if its heavier than a Selle San Marco who cares! If you're a racer boy forget it. If you want your "twigs and berries" to work and not have a seat shoved up yer bum this would be the one. Oh and to address the issue of the seat material tearing go to: http://recycledsaddles.net/ this guy will recover your saddle in whatever color you want for $16. He'll even embroider it for you for a little more. Now quit yer griping and buy this saddle!

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Similar Products Used:   Stock saddles a plenty, BG Comp, hard a$$ plastic BMX saddles, "Grandma" seats on cruiser bikes

Bike Setup:   99 Specialized Hardrock FS Comp, Mountain Speed Speed Springs, Avid Arch Rival 40's DK Iron Cross platforms Panaracer Dusters

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Harrison, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Sleek, Comfortable, Affordable, Light

Weaknesses:    Cheap, but what do you expect for $35. (See below for further explaination.)

Bottom Line:
This is possibly the greatest invention ever made. I have just started mountain biking and love it to death. The stock saddle that came with my bike just wasn't cutting it. After about an hour of riding I was in such pain I had to turn around and head home. I searched far and wide for the perfect saddle. I finally came to performancebike.com and saw the Specialized Body Geometry Sport and thought I would give it a try. I do have to say that Performance Bike does suck in the way they do business but once I got my saddle it was well worth the wait. The only downfall to the saddle is that it is made cheap but what do you expect for $35 when now days the average saddle cost is around $95. If you take good care of it like you should, I would expect years of enjoyable riding. The saddle is sleek, lightweight, affordable, and very attractive on any bike. I would recommend this saddle to anyone riding. The only regret in life I have is that I should have bought the Specialized Body Geometry Sport sooner. STOP READING AND GO PURCHASE ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Just the ole stock saddle that came with my bike.

Bike Setup:   Huffy Vormaxx with Dual Suspension

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfortable if you ride it in the sweet spot

Weaknesses:    This saddle has a very pronounced sweet spot. If you ride towards the back of the saddle it can be very comfortable, but if you ride the nose of the saddle a fair bit, as I tend to do, it's torture. The rails have very little flex, the shell is very rigid, and the padding soft, with the result that if you sit further forward, the hard shell soon starts digging in to your perineum, and numbness quickly follows. This may be an indictment of my riding style, but I would have thought that Specialized could design a seat that could be ridden comfortably in any position. It's also a very heavy saddle, and the construction quality is not the best

Bottom Line:
You'll probably find this a good buy if you ride towards the back of the saddle and don't mind the weight. Otherwise, there are much better "No numb bits" seats now on the market.