Specialized Saddle Saddle

2.91/5 (53 Reviews)

Specialized Prolong

Submitted by DudeNudem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Better than sitting on seatpost, free! Makes you learn to stay out of the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Painful, small

Bottom Line:
I got one of these seats from a friend as a take-off thinking it couldn't be worse than the stock seat that came on my bike. Boy, was I ever wrong - that sucked! Painful, small and hard. I trashed it and went out and bought a specialized v-groove which was much better - still riding it today.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager stock saddle, Specialized v-groove

Submitted by Dirt Biker in PA a Weekend Warrior from north wales, pa

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Seat is the worst I have felt. Unbearable amount of a** pain. I went to the reviews to see if others have had this issue and obviously they have. I will need to change this seat. I don't know how they sell this thing. The gears are slipping already. I will take it back for adjustments.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike so far but it's early. First thing I am doing is heading out to buy a new seat. Using this seat for any duration will cause even the person with the softest a** to cry in agonizing pain!

Purchased At:   Montgomeryville, pa

Submitted by b4c21 a Cross Country Rider from Amarillo, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    hurts!!

Bottom Line:
I feel the same way about my seat....does anyone have any recommendations on which one is alot more comfortable but won't break the bank?

Bike Setup:   Stock Rockhopper Disc

Submitted by Stelth a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2008

Strengths:    The Specialized XC saddle looks cool before you actually attempt to sit on it...

Weaknesses:    Searing ass pain after 2 miles. Seriously, this is one uncomfortable POS. I have sat on many bicycle seats but this was hands down the worst ever.

Bottom Line:
If you are a masochist then have I got a saddle for you!!!
I love my Rockhopper but the saddle really is no good. I changed the seat after one ride.

Purchased At:   Megacycle

Similar Products Used:   Every bike I have ever owned has had a seat.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2008 Rockhopper Disc

Submitted by Shannon a Cross Country Rider from the Shore

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    This peice of crap kills my ass and, er, other parts.

Bottom Line:
The only rider this thing is suited for is a S&M freak. Save yourself some pain and agony and don't buy this seat!Or if it comes on the bike you're getting, ask the dealer to swap before you take it home. Most will take the stock one and give you a deal on a different one.

Favorite Trail:   Anything I can ride

Purchased At:   got it from a friend when I broke mine

Similar Products Used:   SDG

Bike Setup:   2002 Blast, DJ 2's, hayes hydro/avid archrival's, some raceface stuff, and this crappy seat!

Submitted by andrew a Cross Country Rider from brantford ont canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everythiing

Bottom Line:
i rode on a road out ot my farm for 1 hour and 45 minutes, oww my ass, it hurt a lot, then while doing trials i fell and bent the rails, rode back home without a seat F**KI*G
specialized

Purchased At:   cyclepath w/bike

Similar Products Used:   anything else is better

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ken Christie a Weekend Warrior from Burnaby

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    black color

Weaknesses:    It bent under a 140 pound kid on the second ride down. It comes with the Specialized Bike as a Package. The seat is crap and the Bike dealer refused to replace it ..Double crap.
And they said Specialized stuff was good .. Not the seat.

Bottom Line:
Not only was the bike dealer, called Sharpies claiming these were great bikes he said he would guarantee them . So you buy it. and something simple like this seat bends on the second ride, and then he says the Specialized People don't guarantee that. Makes you wonder if the whole specialized line has some other flaws. Someplace like Cove Bikes would have replaced it on the spot, even if the manufacturer was not worth the guarantee. So you feel burned of course.

Favorite Trail:   Nicoles on Burnaby Mt.

Purchased At:   Sharpies Cycles N. Burnaby

Similar Products Used:   Marin

Bike Setup:   Standard Specialized XC off the rack type bike.

Submitted by M Dougherty a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    thin profile, conservative good looks, acquired comfort

Weaknesses:    Weak rails!

Bottom Line:
The thing gave me a weight complex!
Went through the first one easing down some downhill courses on my hardtail a month after buying it. One side folded completely down. I took it back and got a replacement some time after. The replacement lasted about another month until the rails were against the plastic bottom. I took it back... waiting for a refund (we'll see).
Bought a Turbo ?? which I also folded the rails on within a few technical rides. I thought that these cromo rails were supposed to be durable.

Pulled out my old ripped up Ritchey Vector Ti off the shelf to make due for the time being. It's working great; much lighter, way more comfortable that I remember, and the rails are still fine. Not getting used to the duct tape look though.

Ride on

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR ...

Submitted by a guy a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Strengths:
looks
size(width)
material

Weaknesses:
a little pain

Bottom Line:
I actually like this seat. If used properly (you should only keep 50% or less of you weight on your saddle) it never hurts, however, when I travel on road (mostly sitting) it does start to hurt after a long period of time. Those WTB look nice though, I'll have to try it.

1 Year

selle san marcos
SDG
giant(stock)

Specialized
Manitou Fork

Submitted by Cat Daver a Cross-Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Strengths:
I'm Still thinking

Weaknesses:
Hurts me bad

Bottom Line:
This came stock with the bike. I've been trying to get use to it but I can't seem to. Took the bike for a ride on the trails today and the saddle killed my delicate female parts. Is there suppose to be a break in time for the saddle? If so, I haven't seen it yet but than I do ride my road bikes more which have better saddles. I think soon I'm going to pop this pain off for a better saddle because I usually have a high tolerance for pain but this saddle does me in. I think my next bike will be a recumbent so I won't have to worry about uncomfortable saddles and saddle sores. But I love my mountain bike so I move to have a better saddle to enjoy the trails better. Won't get a recommendation from my sore parts.

Still exploring

Specialized S-Works FSR XC
2 Road Bikes

Submitted by Cadel a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable
not very narrow

Weaknesses:
very dull colors..only black!!!

Bottom Line:
I can ride 3hours with this saddle without
my ass feeling pain or numb!!!!!

3 months

RH A1 FS

Submitted by Paul B. a Cross-Country Rider from Columbia MD

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable, low price.

Weaknesses:
Weak rails, I bent them after only about one month.

Bottom Line:
This saddle was comfortable for me. And it felt good even after several hours of hard riding. But after a crash (and not a huge one at that) the rails bent! I was kind of pissed at the time, but since I got the seat replaced for free from the bike store I got over it. I replaced it with the Bontrager Race day saddle. Man this saddle is very uncomfortable. I recently went back to the Spec. prolong saddle but I upgraded to the carbotech model. I hope this proves to be more durable.

Avalon at Patapsco SP

3 months

N/A

99 Rockhopper A1 FS, Manitou Spyder front shock

Submitted by Kyle a Cross-Country Rider from South Carolina

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable
Light

Weaknesses:
Rails are weak

Bottom Line:
I've had two of these in just over a year - and now I need yet another saddle. The rails just bend way too easily. A fairly 'easy' crash that hits the seat tends the bend the rails. That ends up putting the seat directly on top of the post, which ruins the ride quality. When the rails are straight, the seat is just fine. But a MTB seat should be able to withstand a crash or two...

1 Year

98 Stumpy

Submitted by >_< a Weekend Warrior from So Cal

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1999

Strengths:
Comfy enough for me. Sturdy enough for me.

Weaknesses:
Graphics come off easy, no kevlar on edges. (WAAAAH!!!!)

Bottom Line:
This came stock on my Stumpy. I have the one with a weave like texture impressed on the saddle cover. It says Prolong Evolution on the saddle before I scraped the graphics off by resting it on the ground on trees on walls etc. etc. No biggie. This is not the model that is refered to as Carbotech either. Yesterday I did my first non stop (ROAD!!!) ride over 15 miles. The City of Angels 27 mile Funride in LA. I finished middle of the pack @ 1:49 and a few seconds according to my CatEye. Taking into account stopping at all red lights and stop signs, which BTW is something I do religiously, I musta been on the saddle pedaling for abt 1:39. The saddle didn't cause me any pain or suffering at all. Maybe I have dialed my bike's features/geometry correctly? Between the Performance shorts, the Thomson post and the M2 frame, I was able to stay in the saddle (I shift, I don't stand and hammer) average about 14 mph, harass a few (slow by standards) roadies, chatted with a bicycle cop (this chubby guy was wearing a FULL duty belt and some police gear in a rack bag but was outclimbing and dropping mofos left and right!!! And we complain about 25 pound bikes as heavy?) in Griffith park climbing up and rolled into the finish line without any discomfort. In fact, I would have been able to get a drink of water, eat an energy bar and have sex with the first female who offered to do it (none of them did). Anyway, that was how comfortable the saddle was to my behind. The length of it allowed me to shift positions a lot too, which alleviates any slight discomfort I feel. Shifting positions also allowed me to change the amount of leverage I had on my pedals. I want a new saddle though, to give in to my chichi parts fever. I find the Flites a tad hard, but that is not to say it sucks, I am sure it is a great saddle, it's just not for me. I might try the Gel (shudder) Flite tho. in the meantime, let's give Specialized 5 hot ones for the Evolution Prolong.

Keyboard

6 months

Forgot

97 StumpCrusher, Thomson (not THOMPSON, take note) post.

Submitted by Daryl a Cross-Country Rider from Small Town, MD

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1999

Strengths:
nice and sturdy saddle

Weaknesses:
too narrow, and my sperm doctor says to switch saddle

Bottom Line:
Kinda narrow but served me well until I got old... it kinda hard on your family jewels

Avalon

2 Years

N/A

Roadie package: saddle, bars, stem - On One

Some good deals here. I havent gotten one, but thought someone might could use it. Carbon and Alloy stuff. The link is for one of the deals, go to "bundles" to see the others. [url=http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/GREMAFX4CC/eddy_merckx_afx4_carbon_finishing_kit]Eddy Merckx AFX4 Carbon Finishing K ... Read More »

Time for a new saddle.

I just have the stock saddle on my '13 Fuel EX8 and it is giving me too much pain even with padded shorts. What is the proper way to measure my seat bones to match a good saddle? Also what brands are the go-to brands for quality and comfort? Thanks.Read More »

Most comfortable saddle for commuting?

I can't seem to find a comfortable commuting saddle. I've tried many, the most recent being a Brooks saddle. They said it would get broken in and the leather would conform to your body, but, after 500 miles, the Brooks saddle still hurts. Any suggestions....I love to ride but tired of the pain/nu ... Read More »

why does my carbon saddle have a bit of play?

why does my carbon saddle have a bit of play? I haved carefully tighten it.Read More »

Best Saddle for the Front Range?

just kidding. But seriously, my ass hurts. Whenever I spend a long time in the saddle on some long uphill grind, my taint hurts. I know that saddles are a personal thing, but there is some science to it, right? Like how the saddle lines up with your sit bones or something? Are there shops tha ... Read More »