Specialized Rival SL Saddle Saddle

• Patented Body Geometry design
  • Abrasion resistant shoulder panels

Submitted by ziggler a Weekend Warrior from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, weight, durability

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
For my little butt this thing has been amazing. Combined with my Pearl Izumi shorts and It's been so comfortable. I've used 2 of these saddles. One on the Kona I sold a year ago and one on my Iron Horse. I will buy another. I have not had any problems with the rails or the cover ripping. It has performed flawlessly.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   WTB Pure V, Laser, Silverado

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse MKIII Elite, Marzocchi 44 fork, SRAM X9 drive train, WTB wheel set, Kenda tires, Fox shock, Race Face Atlas handlebar, Easton EA70 stem, Thomson seatpost

Submitted by donluigi a Cross Country Rider from madrid

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    As comfy as any Rival

Weaknesses:    Rails broken in 5 months, Specialized customer services keep my money and I keep this broken piece of ...

Bottom Line:
Comfy saddle, over-weight but...
Awful quality, awful customer service. Specialized saddles never again.

Favorite Trail:   Guadarrama

Similar Products Used:   Rival, Phenom,Fizzick, WTB, Selle Italia...

Submitted by Michal a Weekend Warrior from Poland, Katowice

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    only looks

Weaknesses:    its a saddle but you simply cant sit on it for more then 10 minutes

Bottom Line:
This is a pricy high end specialized saddle. It looks good and when you touch it, it feels comfy. But when you start to use it... it’s a disaster... I've been riding mountain bikes for over 17 years now, started with a fully rigid bike with cantilever brakes and my ass has never been hurt so much ! This saddled feels like its hard as a rock after a while, more its even feels like its want to hurt you on purpose. I tried different setting and ridden it in every possible terrain / situation in the past 3 weeks. I have just finished another ride and I'm getting this POS of my bike. Yet another very poor designed product from specialized :(

Favorite Trail:   Beskid Maly :)

Similar Products Used:   many saddles, recently fizik nisene

Bike Setup:   Z1 FR SL (still such a sweet fork), giant vt with a swinger X3

Submitted by beeglemania a Cross Country Rider from florida

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    Super comfortable, light

Weaknesses:    WEAK RAILS!

Bottom Line:
I've had the steel rail version of this saddle for 5 years and have even bent a seat post while it was mounted. The rails never bent and its still in decent shape. I got the Ti version now and in less than a dozen rides the rails bent after a jump. I'm going back to steel.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rival w/ Chromo Rails

Bike Setup:   Niner SS

Submitted by danlorek a Weekend Warrior from san diego

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Great looks, very comfortable for me due to width being spot on for the 143

Weaknesses:    rails bend and come out of rear mount hole

Bottom Line:
On the second ride of my first rival, one of the rails popped out of the back hole and i could not get it back in. speesh warrantied this as they should. last weekend on the replacement, the rail came out again at gooseberry. saddle is back at shop, i'm sure they'll take care of it but i've requested a different comparable saddle as i feel the design is flawed. they should have deeper holes for the rails to mount into so they cannot pop out. expect this saddle to fail.

Favorite Trail:   iron

Purchased At:   black mtn bikes

Similar Products Used:   wtb, alias

Bike Setup:   cdale prophet 1mx '06

Submitted by tlg4276 a Weekend Warrior from Overland Park, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    Saddle is well designed and comfortable. Good for all day epic rides.

Weaknesses:    Snapped the left rail on a non-technical trail.

Bottom Line:
I love this saddle however this is now the 3rd Specialized Saddle I have broke or have bent the rails on. This may be do to me being classified as a clydsdale and weight a little over 200.

Favorite Trail:   Landhal

Similar Products Used:   Terry, Fizik, Brooks, and others.

Bike Setup:   Badger 29'r Single speed with Speed Dream wheels, King headset, Ritchey bar, Thompson seat post and XT cranks.

Submitted by Josh Hollman a Cross Country Rider from Sydnei

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2008

Strengths:    Body geometry?

Weaknesses:    Saddle frame is hard, padding becomes very thin in contact with the base of the saddle

Bottom Line:
This saddle becomes thin padded when your bones makes the most pressure. This areas should be the most confortable with a thicker padding yet it becomes deformed and you can feel the saddle frame hard on your pelvic bones.

This kind of 'memory' padding works well for pillows, not for saddles.

When its fully depressed, you can feel how hard it is on your bones.

I've dropped this saddle and replaced with my stock bontrager.

Similar Products Used:   Vetta/Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel Ex 9

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    lite, comfotable, look

Weaknesses:    to be this lite - the rails have to be thin..

Bottom Line:
I really have to chuckle at some of the comments regarding comfort. Has it not occurred to these folks that a seat is a very personal item. Good grief man –its where all you bits and pieces are. Upon which you have a very small area in which to perch all that junk. Now, I’m no medical doctor, but I’m pretty sure every ones butt is not the same as the next. Accordingly, if the seat don’t fit – don’t use it. Get one that does…

As for the rails issue – I’m not exactly inclined to blame the manufacture on this one. As this is a common issue with all seat rails. Lets face it if you want a rail that wont bend, then opt for a tempered sold steel construction – But I better not catch you whining about the weight. Personally I am absolutely puzzled as to why the seat posts designs are so badly designed. Other than the Syntace P6, the clamps on most of these posts only serve as pinch point to bend any rail. Let’s face it who gives a rats ass on how easy it is to adjust. Once I set it I’m pretty much done with it. Lets put some effort in supporting the rail please..

Purchased At:   Gears in Mississauga

Similar Products Used:   A bunch - if my bum is happy with it, I'll take it

Bike Setup:   Scott Genious 10

Submitted by Justin Sylar a Racer from SC

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    'Body Geometry' ?

Weaknesses:    Tha padding 'bottoms out of travel' becoming very thin enough to feel the saddle's frame.
Fortunately I could sell them on ebay.

Bottom Line:
I've tried this saddle because of the so called and famous 'specialized body geometry'. That is a very interesting reading on their website at least.
OK, then you have a saddle that has very soft rails, a padding that will be very comfortable for the first 10 minutes of your ride until it bottoms out (you may stand on the bike for a minute and wait the saddle padding recover its shape so you can sit down again. The weight is not very atractive compared to lightweight 'birth control' saddles out there like SLR that are as unconfotable as this one.
I think there is only one reason to move from a saddle that weights 160 grams to a saddle that weights 235 grams: CONFORT. Nothing else.
With this specialized saddle you will be swithing to a heavier and less confortable saddle, so there is no point at all.
Now I'm riding a WTB laser V saddle with Ti Rails. They have the same heavyweight (235g), kevlar padding on both sides, a very soft frame that acts like a suspension and a very confortable padding that won't bottom out or stay deformed when you stand. I had spent only 19 bucks more for the WTB, it is even more expensive, but at least I'm not regret. If you're a weekend warrior riding 1 hour a day you might even like the saddle, specially if the 'S' hypnotizes you. If your riding style is seated, even while climbing, longer rides, there are other options to consider.

Similar Products Used:   SLR, WTB Laser V * Best so far *

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite/XTR /36 RC2/Crossmax ST

Submitted by Bluerider1 a Cross Country Rider from Oceanside

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Titanium rails, foam

Bottom Line:
Bought the seat on Aug 4, 07 from Surf City Cyclery. I'm 6'1, 200 lbs not a hucker or a jumper. The seat rail broke after 90 days. I was riding on a flat single track in Rancho Penasquitos when the rear right rail snapped while pedaling on a short climb. Called surf City Cyclery to get maybe a warranty replacement or any assistance but I heard the dreadful answer of " No, we don't warranty those" even though it was less than a 4 months. I liked the seat but the rails are too weak and Specialized or maybe the store is not backing up their products. Switching to WTB laser v (medium wide 143).

Favorite Trail:   O.C. Trails, Penasquitos, Daley

Purchased At:   Surf City Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   WTB rocket, Selle Italia SLR

Bike Setup:   07 Epic Marathon.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2007

Strengths:    LIght.

Weaknesses:    foam padding that loses resiliency after one hour, seat "wings" rub inside of thighs

Bottom Line:
Me: 155 Lb, 6'1" cross country rider.
The Product: This saddle is a major disappointment, especially as an offering from Specialized. I generally like Specialized products, but this product is incredibly poor. The first impression on the first ride was that the seat felt hard after an hour and the side "wings" on the saddle rubbed the inside of my thighs uncomfortably. All in the name of ergonomics, I thought. After several more ~2 hour rides, I discovered the foam was so broken down that you could push your thumb into the where your sit bones rest, and it felt like plastic--less than 1/8" of give, and very little flex in the saddle body. After a couple 8 hour rides and trying to get used to it, I was more sore than I've ever been after any ride. And the rubbing of the wings never went away, either, causing serious chafing on those long rides. Maybe the shape is a personal preference thing, but I've ridden on numerous saddles the past 15 years, and none has ever been this uncomfortable. Even if shape is a personal preference, the foam was so poor I would deem this saddle unacceptable on that factor alone. Questioning my sanity, I put a WTB Pure V saddle on the bike--very similar weight and shape--and did (OK, attempted) a 100 mile race, and it exhibited none of the problems of the specialized saddle. I highly recommend the WTB Pure V instead of this saddle. If nothing else, the foam is much higher quality and does not break down after an hour.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V Stealth, WTB Pure V, others

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Adolfo Cuadra a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Strengths:    Very comforatble, tough and looks very cool

Weaknesses:    Once again, the rails are cheap. Cromoly rials bend like soft aluminum

Bottom Line:
I've had a number of bad falls that have torn up saddles in the past. I would have expected tears on the side, but, I can barely even make out any scuff marks. The top of the saddle is in great shape, in large part due to the tough protective sidewalls. The rails on the other hand are the last thing I expected to give. Don't know exactly when it bent (may even be slowly, over time). Then I found that I could easily bend them back, while mounted on the post (not particularly confidence inspiring). Real shame, because as saddles go it felt just right. If only I could have the rails replaced.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback, Santos, Alafia