Specialized Rival Saddle Saddle

• Tuned Density foam padding
  • Patented Body Geometry design

Submitted by 92gli a Weekend Warrior from west chester, pa

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I'm 165 lbs. and use the 130mm wide version. This seat is too heavy for you weight weenies but the best thing about this seat is that you don't notice it. It distributes your weight very well with no hot spots. I'm able to use 2 very comfortable positions on mine, centered and way back. Its been very durable. I also have one on my road bike.

Purchased At:   Came on '05 stumpjum

Submitted by ctbarron a Weekend Warrior from Annandale, VA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, good shape, held up well thus far.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This saddle works for me. It is comfortable, well shaped, has a good cutout. It took a couple of weeks to break-in but is now great. I ride on it for a few hours with no problems. It seems durable so far - no rails problems, tears, etc.

One weird item. The rails seem to be at some non-standard angle. It takes me forever to level the seat, and I've had it on a few seatposts.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Avatar, a few Serfas

Bike Setup:   2009 GF Cobia

Submitted by clj766 a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte NC. usa

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    looks, comfort, material

Weaknesses:    not broke in yet, I guess the rails mine is fine

Bottom Line:
good seat mines just not broke in yet

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   stock cannondale

Submitted by beeglemania a Cross Country Rider from the south

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, strong rails, tough cover

Weaknesses:    none, maybe heavy?

Bottom Line:
I've had this saddle for 5 years, thousands of miles and many crashes. The sides aren't torn the rails aren't bent and it's still pretty comfy. I've even bent a post while using this saddle! I've tried WTB before and always tore the covers in crashes. This saddle has held up great.

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Rival SL (Ti rails)

Bike Setup:   Niner SS

Submitted by vmed_cha_gr a Cross Country Rider from Kefalonia Greece

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Very well constructed, looks like it will last forever.

Weaknesses:    Takes some time to break in , nothing else.

Bottom Line:
This saddle turns out to be one of my best buys. I would suggest it since it is very well made compared with other brand named crap.

Favorite Trail:   local trails

Similar Products Used:   selle italia, fizik

Bike Setup:   marin nail trail, deore xt, rithey wcs, saint hydraulics, maxxis larsen tt tirea, dt wheels.

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Strengths:    Price, durable, attractive design, comfy!

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best saddle I have ridden on. The best saddle for the money IMHO. It's very comfy and the stitching has stayed intact since I bought new. I have used it for endurances, weekend rides for 6 months straight! At 280 grams it's a bit heavy but the performance has made it an afterthought. They are hard to come by so buy one when you see it. BG rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   Soma Juice

Submitted by James Austin a Cross Country Rider from AZ

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    comfortable, very durable, i have beat this thing so hard and it looks virtually like new.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i have had much more blingy saddles and the Rival is far superior. i am not a big fan of the manufacturer and yet i still highly endorse this saddle.

Purchased At:   forgot where

Similar Products Used:   i have the older version of this saddle that i purchased in 2003. i liked the comfort so i decided to get the newer version. the current version is much improved as far as durability.

Bike Setup:   Soma Juice 29er 1x9.

Submitted by Dave Roskell a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    Once I found the correct width it was the most comfortable, long lasting saddle I've owned.

Weaknesses:    Last weekend I broke one rail and bent the other. I'm 190lbs and ride mostly XC and I think the saddle should stand up to the riding I do (never broken one before). I checked out my old smaller Rival saddle and it was bent too.

Bottom Line:
Great saddle but the rails are weak.

Favorite Trail:   Neds, Seymour Mtn., North Shore

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Pro

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Strengths:    - Lightweight for CroMo
- Extremely comfortable
- Good looking saddle

Weaknesses:    - Rails could be stronger

Bottom Line:
Best mounain bike saddle I have ever owned. Extreme value and comfort for the money. Rails could be a bit stronger, I bent one after a year of abuse. but will be buying another Rival saddle to replace it.

Favorite Trail:   Alifia, Santos, Boyette

Similar Products Used:   Bontronger, WTB, Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, you name it

Bike Setup:   2006

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Chelmsford, Ma, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    The most comfortable saddle I have ever used!
Excellent fit, great for long rides, holds up well.

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 6 ft, 215 lb rider and my prayers have been answered!

I've spent boat-loads trying ever saddle I could find over the years. None worked and most were quite painful - especially on long rides. This is so comfortable that it becomes invisible and I can focus on enjoying the ride instead of the pain.

Thanks Specialized and please don't replace this with a "new and improved" version. I've seen this happen time and time again with generally poor results.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker SP

Purchased At:   Cycle Loft

Similar Products Used:   Tried many over the years.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad (awesome ride!)

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, US

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Looks to be very strong and durable. Most comfortable mtn. saddle I've tried.

Weaknesses:    None seen.

Bottom Line:
I weigh, with gear, about 240lbs. Of the saddles I've tried, the Rival seems to distribute the weight far better. I don't get any hot spots and the seams sewn into the bike shorts don't bother me at all. Longest ride so far has been six hours and I didn't have any problems.

Favorite Trail:   W. Magnolia trails

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Fizik, WTB, Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign1, 07 XL frame

Submitted by Chris C a Downhiller from denver

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    comfortable, light saddle with the same shape as the alias 143

Weaknesses:    titanium rails bend very easily

Bottom Line:
this was a replacement for the alias 143 that i got with my bike. The alias was by far the best saddle i have ever used; light and very comfortable, unfortunately it snapped in half after a few months and i got this as a replacement.

this is the same design/shape as the alias, but supposedly stronger. although the alias snapped across the rails, the rails themselves were very weak. the same is true with this, after every ride, the rails are bent, so i have to unbend them by clamping my post on the bend.

the seat would be excellent if they would just use some normal crmo rails instead of the weak titanium

Favorite Trail:   sol-vista dh-1

Purchased At:   bike source

Similar Products Used:   alias 143, the comfiest saddle i have ever ridden.
stock seats

Bike Setup:   this seat is shared between my fr, dj, and road bikes

Submitted by Bill from North Bend, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable going downhill.

Weaknesses:    not so comfortable going uphill

Bottom Line:
This saddle did not work for me. Although, may be great for you. Saddles are such a personal decision. My main complaint was that, I found the nose of the saddle to be too wide and not taper enough from the top of the saddle down. I found this only to bother me while spinning uphill. I switched back to my good old WTB SST 98.

Favorite Trail:   Tolt McDonald

Similar Products Used:   Pro-links, WTB, Rolls

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, Fox RLC, XTR

Submitted by Hanu a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    Ability to have different widths for best comfort

Weaknesses:    The white "S" on the front of the saddle is not going to last long at all. Don

Bottom Line:
This seat is much, much more comfortable than my Selle Italia.
The Specialized retailer was able to measure me and give me the proper width, and it shows!
I'm finally comfortable on my bike!
I run with 100psi in my tires, and this seat, along with my USE XCR seatpost makes the 30 mile rides on gravel backroads much, much more comfortable than the Selle Italia!
It feels like I'm finally getting use of my XCR suspension seatpost. Maybe the othe wasn't placed properly on the seatpost to make use of it, but the difference in incredible!
100psi on gravel roads has never felt this comfortable.
Highly recommended!