Specialized Pro Ti Saddle

3.48/5 (23 Reviews)

Specialized Body Geometry Sport Ti Saddle

Submitted by bill a Cross Country Rider from Prior Lake

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort! When I first sat on it I was very disapointed. By the time I finished my first long ride with it, I was amazed at good it felt. weight, This thing is more comfortable than comfort saddles that weigh 2-3 times as much. Sure you can find something lighter, but it may be unridable for anything but races, they have nowhere near the comfort. Durable

Bottom Line:
Would I pay retail for it? I don't like paying retail on anything so the answer is No! I would be willing to pay twice what I did and be happy.

Similar Products Used:   wtb's, serfas, coda(never buy Anything that has coda on it,c'dale makes great frames and shocks,everything else is garbage or at best grossly overpriced) others

Bike Setup:   I have had this saddle on 2 different bikes. A Cannondale hardtail, and a fat chance Ti.

Submitted by kevin a Racer from nw indiana

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    extremely comfortable

Weaknesses:    extremely UNcomfortable until it is broken in

Bottom Line:
wasn't sure about this saddle after the first couple rides because this thing takes a few long rides to break in and damn is it painful until then. BUT after a 50 mile or so break in period it is very comfortable. it dosen't stick to your legs or rub wear spots on your lycra either. if you watch ebay i've seen these things sell for under forty dollars consistantly.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Similar Products Used:   selle italia's and cheap crap

Bike Setup:   '02 specialized enduro expert, psylo, full xt drivetrain, raceface cranks, disc brakes

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Ashland

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Strengths:    Incredibly comfortable.

Weaknesses:    List price is insulting, especially compared to other top-name Italian ti models

Bottom Line:
At first glance, the Comp would seem to have more cons than pros: cheap construction, not especially light, and ridiculously expensive. I wouldn’t ride anything else. I bought my first one for $90, and almost fainted from sticker shock--almost twice what you’d pay for a high-class titanium Italian saddle. It felt hard at first (and still does), but what I noticed was what I didn’t feel: Most of my rides involve long uphills, and I found that I could sit and crank for hours. Unlike most other saddles, there is nothing to stick in your crotch. Gel saddles? What’s the point?
I don’t want anything sticking in my crotch--I don’t care if it is gel.

I like the saddle so much that I bought the only thing left in the area from 2001, which was the same saddle with ti rails. (I only bought it because the shop came down from an insulting $140 list to a merely ludicrous $80. I wouldn’t waste the money for a full-price ti saddle. Compared side-by-side, it doesn’t feel one bit lighter).

I did try the 2002 comp saddle, which is beautifully made, but it felt more conventional to me, and wasn’t as comfortable as the 2001.

Although highly overpriced, cheaply constructed, and with rather cheesy styling
(especially the tacky looking chrome on the Pro Ti), these saddle have transformed my bike from a $2000 medieval torture device to something I actually want to ride.

Submitted by Michael Schelb a Racer from Boca Raton, FL

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    Good looking, comfortable,

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I find this saddle comfortable on my daily rides (100 - 150 per week) and I am not a small 130 lb sprinter (6'00 / 205).
When I first used BG saddles I had to get used to them - but now I automatically put them on all my bikes. Never sore - no pain the day after - even after a century.

Purchased At:   Boca Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Other Body Geometry saddles on my other bikes

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Peloton - Reynolds 853 - Ultegra gruppo

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe, NM

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    pretty light for the design, easy on the soft tissue down there.... and its pretty durable

Weaknesses:    still not that light, and there is a little break in period for your body

Bottom Line:
this is a great and comfortable saddle. it lasts well, mine's had alot of use that has smoothed the saddle down, but there are no signs of weakness anywhere from it. most of the reviewers have complained of the uncomfortable feeling one has when using it, yet they must have not rode it for more than a couple of times. the seat forces all of your weight on the underside of your pelvis, not on the fragile and very important soft tissue. this reduced area makes the amount of pressure much higher since it isn't dispersed like most seats. and the points of pressure, while they are the ideal place for your weight to sit, are pretty uncomfortable for a little while. once your body gets used to this, the seat is no longer uncomfortable at all, in fact it becomes the most comfortable seat i've ever used. especially for longer rides when one has to fear numbness and damage to their manly parts over the extended period of blood shortage.

Submitted by Sara Goss a Weekend Warrior from Flemmings

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Strengths:    This seat has Ti rails!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Saddle feels sore (on the a..) when put on.

Bottom Line:
This 2000 saddle feels awkward when ridden, but it was installed only a week ago. The installation process took most of the weekend of trial and error sessions. It took as many as 20 tries to clamp the seat correctly on my two-bolt (front and back) seat post. Once 'normally' mounted, the seat does not sit horizontal to the ground.-- (basement floor). After several trials at this installation process, it was obvious that the seat's nose actually points up ward, in a slight angle. On Sunday, my brain kicked in and I stuck small (faucet) rubber washers (1) under the seat clamp- between the seatpost base, and the clamp's base. Thereby in an effort to produce a miniscule vibration dampening effect. (My bf helped me after he installed his own) The position of the washers on the seatpost base, the seat can be angled correctly to a desirable position. Otherwise, the seat is comfy but hard on the a.s-bones, and a.s in particular. This situation should improve once the seat gets used to my a.s behind sat onto it. By the summer, I suppose. Otherwise, my bf bought one too, and tense (United Nations level negotiations with the student salesperson warrented a discounted price, which was necessary when considering the whopping price of the saddle.) The pressure points on the human anatomy are eased and it was proven that post ride (in the bed room) celebrations were successful were wide and 'once in a lifetime do you feel this good', 'winning the jackpot sensation', 'party whistles, and all' kind of joy.
You get the point. Feel it for yourself when this saddle is under your delicate a.s. I'll keep you up to date on the saddle. Ride and have fun!!

Favorite Trail:   Great Canadain Ball Breaker

Purchased At:   Local Specialized bike shop -- NOT K-Mart!!!

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Gatlinburg, TN

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight; length allows for easy movement; great looking Festina Pro model

Weaknesses:    Price - I bought from a good friend at a local shop at wholesale-the retail price of $130.00 is crazy; narrow profile in rear of saddle does not support sit bones, and causes chafing--I wear top-quality shorts, and use chamois creme-it's the saddle; grooved channel should extend the length of the saddle ; raised stiching may also be part of the problem

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this saddle unless you have no ass; I'm a 160 lb. roadie, by no means a Clydesdale, but I cannot get comfortable on this saddle; a friend of mine has the San Marco Era, and is very satisfied with it so I've ordered one to replace the Festina Pro model I have now.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry Comp; San Marco Race Day Strada

Bike Setup:   Fondriest Status

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Melb

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    Ti rails, feels great after the wearing in

Weaknesses:    not strong enough, the plastic bits seem like their falling apart

Bottom Line:
This seat seems fine for ordinary XC and urban assaulting. However dont go to extremes. I was at the skate park and apparently did a 6 foot high jump and bent the seat. I weigh 175lbs. It's also rather expensive

Similar Products Used:   stock saddle

Bike Setup:   specialized rockhopper XT, discs, 521, xvert

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Wales Center NY

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    There are NONE, except it didn't fall apart or break.

Weaknesses:    For all the engineering the specialized put in to these seats, you think they would be alot better. I bought two seats, one for a hardtail, and one for a full suspension. They both squeek, all the time. Very, Very f*#$%king annoying when riding. Not to mention giving the seat 6 months of riding to break in/ body to adjust, but still get a sore ass. Tired of them. going to send them back to specialized

Bottom Line:
Wouldn't offer it to anyone. PERIOD!!!! A buddy has two also, he is ditching his. Don't blame him a bit. Not worth the BUCKS, Buy something ELSE, you'll be much happier.

Similar Products Used:   WTB, guess I should have kept it. And bought a different one for the new bike.

Bike Setup:   A GT Pantera, much upgraded, and an INTENSE TRACER, full XTR, RACEFACE, love it

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2000

Strengths:    good comfort
narrow profile
slight road damping

Weaknesses:    underside plastic nose piece
loosening leather cover on underside

Bottom Line:
I purchased this saddle in ‘99 to replace a wearing and semi-comfortable Selle Italia Max Flite. For whatever reason, the whole concept and design of the seat from a comfort point of view simply had some logic (this was just before Specialized began those seductive ads and challenging everyone's possible loss of manhood). If I had relied upon an initial ride impression, I would have rejected this saddle. It took a couple weeks and maybe a little break-in to really get accustomed to the feel of it. The change of pressure points on your bones from one area to another simply takes time.

Since then the saddle has been pure comfort for 1-1/2 years. The length of the saddle has just a little bit of flex which may help smooth things out a bit. I can also slide forward and back to find different positions over the course of a ride. I've used it for a training and few centuries using a stiffer Cannondale 2.8 frame and my current CAAD3 set-up. I don't start to feel its presence until 5-6 hours into a ride... but hey, sitting on anything that long is going to get to you.

My biggest complaint would be the overall workmanship. It hasn't worn out yet but I don't see it lasting beyond 3, maybe 4 seasons of use. At the point where the leather turns to the underside of the saddle, the adhesive sometimes works loose. This first appeared about a month after I started using it and I have resecured it a couple times with some heavy-duty adhesive from the local hardware store. This is a minor annoyance and I hope the problem does not spread to the entire seat perimeter. For the price, I expect a little better.

Favorite Trail:   Broadway, Manhattan-Bronx to the Battery

Purchased At:   Sid's

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Max Flite

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caad3 Road

Submitted by Tom F. a Racer from Tulsa Oklahoma US

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Strengths:    relieves numbess

Weaknesses:    grooves hurt, but relieves numbess, I am mostly a roadie and I dunno how this seat will work on multi day rides. AFter 100 miles I was hurtin pretty bad, and I have Pearl Izumi micorsensor shorts, very good chamois, so its not the shorts.

Bottom Line:
relieves numbess but hurts, little pricey for 150 dollars, I got it for 90.

Purchased At:   a store

Bike Setup:   diamondback interval

Submitted by Kirk Rogers a Weekend Warrior from Altadena

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    It is a very comfortable saddle. My bike store let me try it and I tried a few seat mentioned and was not happy until

Weaknesses:    It took some adjustment and patience to get it perfect.

Bottom Line:
Great product! I've read the reviews and can tell that there are complainers. Research better! Don't buy stuff you don't research enough and complain about the product. How spent the bread? I have found the temperature on my bottom has cooled. I ride 500-600 miles per month and I do not complain about my seat anymore being uncomfortable. My riding partner who is 170lbs and he's 5'8" did not like the seat rubbed his leg too much.

Favorite Trail:   Red Box