Specialized Phenom SL Saddle

• Patented Body Geometry design
  • Carbon reinforced shell
  • Flush mounted scuff guards
  • Lightweight hollow titanium rail
  • Ultralight tuned density foam padding
  • Tough, light and water-resistant Micromatrix cover
  • Length 270mm

Submitted by Jaybo

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Butt hatchet that hurt me on every ride.

Bottom Line:
I hate this saddle but other love it. Go figure.

Submitted by Lucky

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    Refer to above reviews. lightweight, sleek look etc. etc.

Weaknesses:    comfort for the everyday MTBr

Bottom Line:
Looking at the reviews it seems like AC/BC and I are the only ones with this issue (on this site...) To me this means geometry plays a big role in deciding to buy this saddle - watch out!

Got the saddle with my bike. Could live past the comfy issue but the rear width causes pressure in the area where hamstrings is joined to the "sit-bone" ie. cuts of blood-flow to hamstrings and causing them to cramp - this happened for me after only 5-8kms.

Submitted by ClayP a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight, good geometry, side protection

Weaknesses:    so-so comfort

Bottom Line:
This is a minimalist saddle that gives good support. I bought a used one to try and it is ok. Not super comfy but very light and does what it should

Similar Products Used:   Flite, SDG Formula FXR, San Marco Aspide

Bike Setup:   98 Zaskar LE

Submitted by Jazzist a Racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    Talking about the 2011 version here.
Available in different sizes. Switched to it just before a 3-day marathon race on my Hardtail, without trying it before. Kind of stupid idea, but well, at least I have identified the right size for me.
It is just great! Had no problems whatsoever. Also for going behind the saddle the shape is ok. It is not too long or wide (especially compared to the in this regard awfull sqlab 611 active).

Weaknesses:    Weight could be less.

Bottom Line:
Find out the right size and you have a comfortable saddle for long rides with enough room for difficult downhills.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Format, Selle Italia X0, SQlab 611 Active, Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow,...

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by ehigh a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Light, low profile, and the structure is slightly flexible. The seat doesn't get in the way while riding, like some of mine have in the past. Managed to get it for the price the bike shop pays for it, so that worked out rather well for me. Costs other people there $100

Weaknesses:    I don't experience any. I probably would get a seat with more cushion on it if I had a hard tail; but fortunately I've got plenty rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
I love this seat. It is exactly what I wanted. I realize that when dealing with a full suspension bike that has 160 mm of front and rear suspension that the seat is not going to brake or save my balls. It doesn't give my any trouble and doesn't rub on me uncomfortably. I'm 6'3" and about 165 pounds; I realize not all seats work for everyone but this one is great. There is not a bunch of unnecessary cushion. I might think twice about getting this seat if I had a hard tail, but fortunately (in my opinion) I do not have one.

On a side note, there should be more types of cyclists to pick from. I am ride 4-5 times a week, but I'm not a downhiller, racer, cross country rider... I just do all mountain/free-ride/enduro. Oh well.

Favorite Trail:   Hazard Peak Trail

Similar Products Used:   I've only had stock seats.

Bike Setup:   Norco Range 3; few after-market upgrades.

Submitted by Major Glory a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    light weight, looks good in black or white, cut away middle adds to comfort. not the most padding but thats a strength not a weakness for me. make sure you get the proper width

Weaknesses:    it doesnt come in other colors ?

Bottom Line:
Best saddle I've used. Get one, you wont be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   all the fast ones

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 - old skool

Submitted by mcmurv a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Light, sturdy, good looking.

Weaknesses:    Hurts my ars.

Bottom Line:
AC / BC said it best. If you are XC racer, this would be a great saddle for you. I am an ultra endurance racer, so sitting on this saddle for 6+ hours is painful. However, it does encourage one to jump out of the saddle and dance on the pedals. Over the last few months, it has really helped my out of the saddle climbing.

Favorite Trail:   Breckenridge 100

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized S-Works Epic

Submitted by FreddyMac a Cross Country Rider from Princeton, NJ

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    COMFY! Comfy! Comfy! Well made, light weight

Weaknesses:    Um... Looks like wedgie waiting to happen...

Bottom Line:
Disclaimer:
I know that saddles are a very personal item, and no two bodies are made the same, so even great saddles will not work the same or be as comfortable for everyone.
Like others here, I was very skeptical of this saddle, but I could not find another of my beloved WTB saddle anywhere. At first glance, I thought that I had seen pizza boxes that would be sturdier (and probably more comfy too). But my LBS guy swore by it and I know that he rides 15-20 miles a day- almost every day. Plus, it came with a 30 day money back guarantee. So I figured that I would try it out and then when I hated it, I would just return it and I could at least ride and have 30 days to track down another WTB. Boy was I surprised! It was love at first sit. This saddle is soooooo comfy. All day rides in the saddle or a quick trip around the block, this thing just performs.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   WTB, San something

Bike Setup:   klein Adroit hardtail- XTR & SRAM XO

Submitted by azdrawdy a Cross Country Rider from N. Augusta, SC

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    Terrific saddle for long rides. Love the minimal padding and sloped nose.

Weaknesses:    Well, it is starting to show some wear from my inner thighs rubbing the nose, but that is after over 200 hours on this saddle.

Bottom Line:
I had a Phenom on my '06 Stumpy FSR and loved it then, but wasn't sure I could use this minimalist saddle on my hardtail. Wrong! This saddle is perfect. Light (enough). Never snags (I wear lycra, not baggies). Extremely comfortable, even on six hour rides. I may stock up on these before Speccy changes the design!

Favorite Trail:   Varies

Similar Products Used:   Too numerous to list.

Bike Setup:   Caffeine 29er 2.

Submitted by panzer07 a Cross Country Rider from Fremont CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    Light, comfy, very comfy

Weaknesses:    shorts - baggies or tights get caught on sharp edges of seat when doing scary technical decents and paper thin leather wears out quickly and is very expensive!

Bottom Line:
Great saddle but not recomended for mountainbiking as it gets caught on shorts on every technical decent. Have swapped it out and now is on my roadbike. Very comfy and can do long rides without getting numb nuts.

Favorite Trail:   TRT

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Italia, San Marcos

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP9

Submitted by azi a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable, reasonably light

Weaknesses:    Wide at the back

Bottom Line:
This saddle came with my bike. No problems with comfort on endurance rides. The rear of the saddle is a bit wide though - the wing reinforcements rub and catch on my shorts when I lean back for technical descents. This impairs confidence a little.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser, Specialized Avatar

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by bdundee a Racer from wausau wi

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, not a bad price and cool looking.

Weaknesses:    The nose might be a bit thick.

Bottom Line:
Awesome saddle!! I was using a wtb pure and it felt like it was putting pressure where it shouldn't. So I thought I would try a phenom. I was very leary at first do to the lack of padding and minimal design, but wow I fell in love on the first ride. I can feel my sit bones planted in the correct spot on the saddle and no pressure anywhere else. Perfect!!!!

Favorite Trail:   9 mile

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   WTB and Bontrager saddles

Bike Setup:   GF HKEK, with a few good parts here and there!

Submitted by Century100 a Cross Country Rider from Murfreesboro, TN

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Strengths:    Relieved the pressure I was having with my stock saddle.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I was getting a lot of pain from my stock saddle, so bad that it felt like I had a constant bladder infection. I went to my LBS and they recommended the Phenom. I was reluctant to pay $85 for a seat that looked like it had zero padding, but to my surprise, this seat was much more comfortable than my padded stock seat. I have only put ~150 miles on it, but so far I have not had any pain (other than the obvious pain of sitting on a thin saddle for 3 hours).

Purchased At:   Moab bikes

Bike Setup:   Haro V4 set up for road rides

Submitted by beatnik_ a Cross Country Rider from Alicante Spain

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    Comfy, well made and water friendly

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
That´s the best saddle i´ve ever tried in 20 years. I love Toupe, but it was uncomfy, that is stiffer and way better.

Buy it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!