Specialized Phenom Gel Saddle

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

• Patented Body Geometry design
  • Carbon reinforced shell
  • Hollow chromoly rails for off-road durability
  • Gel and tuned density foam padding
  • Tough, light and water resistant Micromatrix cover

Submitted by dan haxmeier

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2014

Strengths:    Quite comfortable

Weaknesses:    Bought in 2012 and today found out that it developed a crack underneath seat to the point that it tore a hole in my bike shorts. Took it back to where I bought it. Asked them if they ever heard of a seat cracking, they said sure it was a defect it that particular seat. Warranty only good for one year. I'm thinking if is known to have a defect it should be replaced for no cost. Am I wrong in thinking that? If so, no more buying specialized

Bottom Line:

I was very pleased with that seat until it cracked. Never heard of a seat cracking.

Submitted by DaveMav

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2013

Strengths:    very lightweight and extremely comfortable and just happens to look killer.

Bottom Line:
if you are thinking of getting one just do it because its a excellent saddle you wont regret getting.

Submitted by Elemental277 a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    -Comfort
-Weight
-Gel nose for climbing
-Comfort

Weaknesses:    -None yet, but just purchased recently

Bottom Line:
I have only used this saddle a few times; however, it it the most comfortable I have ridden, period. The stock seat on the Stumpy could bruise your tail bone.

I blindly bought the second saddle from Performance last year and it was o.k. aesthetically, but the comfort still wasn't there.

After 12 miles yesterday, I didn't want to go home. The saddle works flawlessly and the gel nose is amazing for steeper saddle climbing.

I would definitely recommend getting "fit" for the saddle. This is the first time I have tried this and I am pleased I did. You simply sit down on a gel pad thing and it marks where your tail bone is. Then the dude measured the width and calculates for your average riding position.

This saddle may or may not be one of the better on the market, but I offered 5 Chilis b/c it's the most comfortable and best that I have ridden. I would definitely recommend it!

Favorite Trail:   Forest Hill

Purchased At:   Old Towne (Ashland)

Similar Products Used:   -Forte Pro SL Ti
-Specialized stock BG
-Bontrager (cushy for RH HT)

Bike Setup:   '07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp w/ a few tweaks

Submitted by dblspeed a Cross Country Rider from Dublin

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfy, reasonably light. You can actually sit on the gel nose during steep, long climbs.

Weaknesses:    Shorts, both lycra and baggies, keep getting stuck in the square edges.

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable saddle even with the light padding thanks to the BG shape and the flexy frame. The square edges become a major annoyance because they catch pants\baggies.

Favorite Trail:   Anything unpaved

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser V Stealth. Specialized Romin, Alias, Henge.

Submitted by bgfthntr a Cross Country Rider from ADK, upstate NY

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    Well made, technology filled, thought out design, 2 sizes available

Weaknesses:    Hard and too square (for me)

Bottom Line:
This is a well made saddle, The gel nose is fantastic and was for climbing very technical steep sections. For me the saddle didn't not fit me very well. I had the 143mm and I need a bit wider. I would recommend giving this saddle a try but it didn't work for me. It's more of a racer setup.

Favorite Trail:   Spier Falls