Specialized Henge SL Saddle

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

• "Medium" carbon-reinforced shell
  • "Medium" rated ultra-light padding for all day rides
  • Lightweight hollow titanium rails
  • Rounded rear for snag-free racing
  • Tough, light and water-resistant Micromatrix cover

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    choice of varying widths, weight, comfort

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
Hard to give this saddle a valid assessment as I only rode it a half dozen times or so before the shell broke. I have another Specialized on a road bike and like it because the 155 width fits my 6'2" large frame. I don't consider myself a Clydesdale at 195 +/- and don't "sit" on the saddle but distribute weight between pedals - seat - and bars, but going over some rocky single track on a rigid 29er, I heard a loud "pop!" Got off bike thinking that I had a wheel or tire issue and when inspecting bike and attachments, noticed a diagonal crack on underside of saddle across the plastic shell of the saddle - rails were fine. Don't know if it is dealer in San Antonio blowing me off or Specialized not standing behind product but haven't got any recourse several months since dropping off saddle. Figure I'm burned for $110.00 dollar saddle. Probably won't buy another Specialized for off-road and certainly done with that shop.

Favorite Trail:   Government Canyon

Purchased At:   Ride Away @ I-10

Similar Products Used:   been riding for 35 yrs and ridden virtually every saddle out there

Submitted by jdnewe01 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great fit (for me!). Big round nose for climbing. No snag spots. Lightweight. Does not feel like a 220 gram saddle. Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Uhhhhh. None yet. Price maybe?

Bottom Line:
Super comfy! For a minimalist lightweight saddle this thing is VERY comfortable. I had been a WTB guy before this (pure and rocket). I freaking love this saddle. I would ride this on anything from an XC racer to a big travel AM bike. Even if you're scared of a saddle with minimal padding give this a try, you might be very surprised.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Pure, WTB Rocket, Specialized Rival, Charge Spoon

Submitted by Natedogz a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    Most comfortable saddle that I've used and I've tried many! I seem to get chafing/soreness up under in front of my sitbones even with a good chamois and Butt'r, but this saddle minimizes it the best and has been very snag free in rough fast riding. Wide nose to move around on.

I demo'd a takeoff from guy at LBS and liked it so well that I bought it and another that I found.

Weaknesses:    My first Henge has been great, couple small nicks in the cover from crashes and bike hauling, but hanging tough. Like another reviewer, my second Henge started coming loose from the shell. It just caused the seat to make a knocking sound when you wiggle it back and forth and sometimes during rides, but doesn't seem to cause any major damage. The bothersome one has dark blue anodized look on front of saddle rails. Should probably call Specialized to see what they might do about it, but I've been too busy riding both of them.

Bottom Line:
Best saddle I've ridden, but kinda pricey although my take off price was great. However comfort is good, sore butt is not....buy it you'll probably like it...but everybody's azz is different so you usually don't know until you try it. Oh yeah, get your sitbones measured and talk with a good LBS and then test ride before you buy when possible. Lightweight too for those worried about it.

Favorite Trail:   the ones that flow!

Purchased At:   Take off

Similar Products Used:   Many WTB, a Fizik, Specialized Toupe, Phenom (2 years ago model)

Bike Setup:   Haro Mary SS, with Reba and Performance Bikes Access 9.7...both 29ers.

Submitted by dblspeed a Cross Country Rider from Dublin

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Great balance between comfort and ergonomics.

Weaknesses:    Could be cheaper.

Bottom Line:
Not as comfy as the Phenom and the Alias, probably due to the stiff carbon shell, but still pretty comfy. Much, much better then the those two when descending and going through technical sections thanks to the rounded, unobtrusive shape. Best saddle I have ever had.

Favorite Trail:   Anything unpaved

Purchased At:   E-tailer

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser V Stealth. Specialized Romin, Phenom, Alias.

Submitted by bclagge a Weekend Warrior from Boynton Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light, solid, comfortable, snag free

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't mind it being cheaper, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

Bottom Line:
After my Body Geometry Avatar separated from the rails for no apparent reason I was reticent to try another product from the same product line. But, the Specialized vendor at the Santos Fat Tire Festival let me demo this saddle for the weekend. I immediately noted how comfortable it was. I rode 40 miles on it that weekend with only moderate soreness - which I would expect given that I don't normally ride quite that long. When you find a saddle that works for your butt, you stick with it. So I immediately ordered it directly from Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Specialized website

Similar Products Used:   Spec BG Avatar

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 1x9, Tora 318

Submitted by b_rowell717 a Racer from Conway, AR

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, flexy carbon shell soaks up vibration on both the road and trail. Just put 296 miles on it on a nonstop ride across the state (finished in 19.5 hours). No soreness, numbness, or butt pain of any kind. The nose is flat and wide, which is good if you are in your drops and throwing down some power, also wide enough to give you lots of positions to use when mountain biking.

Weaknesses:    The rails on the test saddle I used before I bought my Henge started coming loose from the shell. it just caused the seat to make a knocking sound when you wiggle it back and forth, didn't cause any major damage

Bottom Line:
Any saddle that can keep me comfortable for 300 miles/19 hours on a bike deserves 5 stars. thicker, more comfortable, and much cheaper than a Toupe saddle. It's also built to last a long time, too!

Favorite Trail:   Ouachita/Womble trail

Purchased At:   The Ride

Similar Products Used:   Fi'zi;k Aliante Carbon, Selle Italia Flite, Specialized Toupe (least favorite saddle of all time), & Louis Garneau MTB saddle from 1998

Bike Setup:   2006 Redline Monocog 29er w/ white Stan's Arch, LP Composites riser handlebar and seatpost, Ergons, Avid BB5.

2008 Specialized Tarmac- Orange and Blue, cheap 105/Ultegra SL stuff on it.

Difference between the Henge SL and the Expert saddle?

Other than the SL being 10 dollar more than the expert, according to the Specialized website the only differences are in the shell and the padding: "Medium density super-light EVA padding for longer rides - Stiff carbon-reinforced shell for longevity and all-day riding efficiency" for the expert ... Read More »