Specialized Henge Comp Saddle

• Patented BG design
  • Stiff carbon-reinforced shell
  • Flush mounted scuff guards for increased durability
  • Light and super durable hollow chromoly rails

Submitted by Scott Novak a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight. Absorbs hard bumps fairly well, as compared to saddles with a weak suspension that handle small bumps better but bottom out on hard bumps. Nice clean look.

Weaknesses:    It only appears to work well for short rides. After one hour on the road I'm standing on the pedals every chance I get. It won't let you sit upright without it being extremely uncomfortable. It's best suited with the handlebars at about the same height as the saddle. The shape seems better than many other saddles, but the padding seems deficient. I just finished a 34 mile round trip 4 hours ago and my butt is still sore under my sitbones. I've ridden this saddle for over 4 months so it's had plenty of time for break-in.

Bottom Line:
I'm 5' 11", weigh 187 lbs, and I'm at about 14% body fat. My legs would be considered very muscular. Maybe this saddle would be comfortable with a much lighter rider. It might work well on a short course where you aren't on the saddle much of the time anyway. But on a longer ride on a smooth trail or road where you are mostly sitting, it's only semi-comfortable for an hour. Then it becomes difficult to sit on it.

I believe that this is a 143 mm 2013 vintage Henge Comp. My two comparisons are a Cloud 9 gel saddle (Don't remember the model.) that I could ride on for about 4 hours or 60 miles. And a Terry Liberator Y Gel saddle that I rode on for 4 blocks today before turning around and reinstalling the Henge Comp. The Terry Liberator felt like I was sitting on two tennis balls.

I did have my sit bones measured at a Specialized dealer and the 143 mm width was recommended to me.

I think that I've given this saddle a very fair trial. However, it is so uncomfortable that I am not looking forward to riding my bike. I will be replacing this saddle ASAP.

Duration Product Used:   34 Miles

Purchased At:   Craigslist. Was Stum

Similar Products Used:   Terry Liberator Y Gel, Cloud 9 Gel saddle (Don't remember the model.)

Bike Setup:   Surly Troll, 2.24" wide 26" WTB Mutano Raptor Tires mounted on 25 mm inside width rims.

Submitted by Mickon64 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2013

Strengths:    Nice shape and channel. Shorts don't snag on the back

Bottom Line:
Great saddle you simply don't notice it is there. Was measured up for my size and it is perfect. Previously had a fizik gobi but this beats it hands down.

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Gobi

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Brsitol, CT

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable saddle, didn't need breaking in. I was anticipating replacing it when I bought the bike, but after a few rides discovered it's more comfortable than my current saddle.

Weaknesses:    None yet, hopefully it wears well for at least a few years.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful saddle. If I ever need another , It's well worth $80. My typical rides are about 1.5 - 2 hours of riding very technical terrain. This saddle is comfy.

Favorite Trail:   ANy

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Stealth, Laser V, Selle Italia stuff, Terry Fly Ti, so many in last 10 years.

Bike Setup:   2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite FSR

Henge Comp vs Expert saddle.

My Stumpy fsr elite 2013 comes with a Henge Comp saddle wich honestly on 3 and plus hours ride is killing my butt,we truly are light years away from my first Henge saddle I've had on my 2011 fsr Elite 26,that saddle was a couch. So,enter the Henge Expert saddle,is that just lighter or does it have a ... Read More »

Cracked Henge Comp Saddle

So this is the first saddle I have ever had break. I am not even very heavy (180lbs) and I ride pretty light and slow for the most part. I have had a few saddles that creaked (especially the Henge when it was new!!) and a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil at the rail entry in the palstic pan fixes that. ... Read More »