Specialized Format Saddle

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• Rounded back shape won't snag shorts
  • Hollow chromoly rails for added durability
  • Tuned density foam padding provides additional trail comfort
  • Ballistic nylon corner panels
  • Tough, light and water-resistant Micromatrix cover

Submitted by PerthMTB

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    comfortable, hardwearing, good value

Weaknesses:    won't turn any heads at the trail centre

Bottom Line:
Got this saddle when the own-brand one on my Giant broke. Wasn't expecting much because its a pretty unassuming looking saddle, and was about the cheapest in the shop. However, I've been pleasantly surprised - it's really comfortable even after a whole day on the bike, it's stumpy rear end means I clear the back of it easily when I have to get down over the back wheel for logs & stuff, and the abrasion patches on the side mean it doesn't get scuffed leaning against trees & walls. When I bought a new bike that came with a fancy Fiizik saddle, I swapped it with this one from my old bike!

Submitted by AzFlapjack a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable and Durable

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my 2009 Stumpjumper FSR comp and I've been riding on it for almost 3 years without any discomfortand have found it to be comfortable even on extended rides. I recently swapped it out for a Henge Comp and found the Henge to not be nearly as comfortable. I'm planning on going back to the Format. For 70$ this is a great saddle.

Submitted by stumpjumperchris a Weekend Warrior from Orange, CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Great balance of firm feel yet compliant.

Weaknesses:    Side panels frayed a bit, which was the difference between a 4 and 5.

Bottom Line:
This came with my bike and although at first I thought it was going to be too firm, I can ride all day with even a trace of discomfort. Compared to my old Specialized "gel" saddle, this is way more comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Willow (Laguna Coast)

Purchased At:   Rock n Road Cyclery