Specialized Format SL Saddle

• Rounded back shape won't snag shorts
  • Hollow titanium rails for strength and lightweight
  • Ultralight SL tuned density foam padding
  • Ballistic nylon corner panels
  • Tough, light and water-resistant Micromatrix cover

Submitted by chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    I like this seat. Just did 2 hrs in it no problems. I ride a fizik aliante on the road so maybe my azz is a little tougher than the average mtb'er, but I like the spesh seat. And, I rode without padded shorts, just old school synthetic shammy. Maybe that makes a difference?

Weaknesses:    does have some stains from mud. So what, it's a mountain bike.

Bottom Line:
Joe Bob says check it out. I'm thinking of putting one on my road bike. Pretty comfy, not too heavy

Favorite Trail:   lysterfield lake park

Duration Product Used:   5 X

Purchased At:   mikes bikes, berkele

Bike Setup:   spesh stumpjumper fsr

Submitted by ChrisEdu a Weekend Warrior from Sussex, UK

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight and inoffensive to look at.

Weaknesses:    Lack of comfort. Even after a short amount of time on the saddle I was left feeling sore.

Bottom Line:
Came as the first fit saddle on my Epiphany. I used a fw times but just found it too uncomfortable to ride upon, even with padded shorts. Now changed it for a Henge SL143 - hopefully that might be better, it certainly felt more comfy in the shop.

Favorite Trail:   South Downa

Purchased At:   Freeborn - Horsham

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany

Submitted by qazokm a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, RI USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight and easy to slide off the rear during technical or steep descents.

Weaknesses:    Not comfortable after 1.5 - 2 hours of riding. Relatively small seating area.

Bottom Line:
This was the stock saddle on my 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro. I used it for a year but replaced it recently. The saddle is fine for up to 2 hours of riding, but after that it was too uncomfortable for me. It is lightweight and has titanium rails. But I wouldn't pay the MSRP on this. For $105 you can get much better saddles from WTB or Fizik.

Purchased At:   Came with my Special

Bike Setup:   Stock 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

durability of the format SL saddle

Hi... I´m looking for a new saddle, as a XC racer I want something durable and if it´s lightweight even better. I know for experience of mine and other friends, that those ultralight carbon saddles more sooner than later end up with broken rails or broken shells...I was looking at the specialized ... Read More »