Specialized Comp Saddle

3.31/5 (117 Reviews)

Specialized Body Geometry Comp

Submitted by jaeastri a Weekend Warrior from Lincolnton, NC

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Strengths:    Slightly better than riding with no seat I guess.

Weaknesses:    Lacks proper support. legs go numb. Terrible lower back pain.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this seat as an aftermarket replacement. If it comes stock on your new Specialized bike, use it for a few rides so you can experience how a proper saddle should NOT feel.

Favorite Trail:   US National White Water Center

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   Avenir 200 Series Mountain

Bike Setup:   This seat came stock on my 2010 Rockhopper Comp & my 2009 FSRxc Expert.

Submitted by beautifull loser a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix AZ

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great entry level saddle. Perfect for short commutes (under 20 miles) and running around town on the weekends. Plus it doesnt look like anything someone would want to steal.

Weaknesses:    a little to firm on the long haul. Got periodic numbness after about 20 miles.

Bottom Line:
I rhode the 143 version of this saddle for 3 years straight. With no problem what so ever. It is a great saddle for a weekend warior or the short distance rider. We are doing a 700 mile tour in the spring so I thought it was time to get a newer saddle. I went with a Italia Gel Flight 130.

Purchased At:   Craigslist.org

Similar Products Used:   Flight Gel, Flight, Salsa, Velo

Bike Setup:   95 HardRock Ultra, set-up for commuting w/ Scott At4 aero bar's

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, Ca.

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Looks like a saddle

Weaknesses:    Not comfortable in the least

Bottom Line:
if this saddle weighed 146 grams I'd brag about it and show it off to all my buddies. But according to Weight Weenies, it porks in at 287 grams. A saddle at this weight should be comfortable. I'd love to throttle the "doctor" that came up with this "body geometry" stuff, or at least make him ride on this saddle for a few hours.

Purchased At:   Came on '03 Epic

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST, Selle Italia Flite, TransAm, old Specialized Pro

Bike Setup:   Came on '03 Epic Disk

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Double Oak, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Strengths:    More comfortable than a bare seatpost

Weaknesses:    Never truly felt comfortable for more than an hour (numbness would begin sitting in and generally uncomfortable).. seemed padding would compact into the center, negating the center channel.
Ultimately though durability, went to ride today and noticed something seemed wrong with it, looked more closely and the rails had buckled just behind the seatpost mount, slightly lopsided, about 2mm "depression" on the worst side. There had been no problems before my previous ride, and no crashes, so no apparent reason other than just I must have plopped down firmly on it (I ride mostly XC, no significant drops of more than a foot, which I take out of the saddle anyhow usually)... so I quickly pulled my recently purchased Koobi Enduro off my roadbike, put that on, and went for a 2 hour ride. The difference from all previous rides was night and day, I literally didn't notice the saddle the entire ride, and not a trace of numbness or any form of discomfort... I knew I wanted to replace parts on the bike as they wore out with better ones, and the saddle was on the list for when it "wore out", but it was a bit of a surprise to see the rails bent like that, but I'm glad it did, I'm happier to know that the Koobi works wonders on my MTB as well!

Bottom Line:
It worked for awhile, adequately (better than my old road bike saddle), but after repeated adjustment attempts, never could get rid of some level of numbness issues beyond about an hour of riding (would stop or just stand on flat parts whenever possible to alleviate).
Bending of rails under less-than-strenuous conditions surprised me highly, especially without a related crash or some other event to account for it. I did have the seat adjusted fairly far back (mounted towards the nose end of the rails), but within the limits (at the front limit). I do weigh 220+-, so I realize that even "moderate" stress from me is a lot (which is why i purchased a burlier frame than I'd have liked) but again, no big drops or anything I can remember about "slamming" into the saddle, they just somewhere along the way didn't like my weight. If you like the BG but don't totally love it, try the Koobi Enduro, (give it about 5 test rides to break it in), you will thank yourself for it. I'll give it a decent value, for someone lighter it would probably be a better deal

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine Northshore

Purchased At:   Came on Specialized Enduro 03

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Selle on my roadie, new Koobi Enduro

Bike Setup:   Stock Specialized Enduro, about to see significant new season upgrades on most of the parts.

Submitted by Alan a Weekend Warrior from CA,USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    Very reasonably priced and light, bought it on sale at www.specialized.com. The seat felt kind of too stiff at first, but actually feels great once after the firmness is get used to ( after 2 or 3 rides ). No numbness whatsoever. Easy to slide back and forth when climbing and going downhill.

Weaknesses:    Poorly constructed. After less then a season, the rails got twisted off the seat after a minor fall. I can bend and force the rails back into the place but they pop off again easily. Trashed it.

Bottom Line:
I believed the hollow middle design is great, at least for me. I guess saddle comforts varies from person to person. The firmness others dislike actually worked very well for me. But this seat is so poorly constructed and didn't even last one season. Maybe specialized have fixed that problem now but I think I will try something else. I switched to a WTB speed V and it feels great too, lasted two seasons and still going. I think I will stay with the hollow middle channel type design when I need to buy another seat.

Favorite Trail:   Still exploring

Purchased At:   www.specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   Stock "too soft" seats from my trek and giant. WTB Speed V (good).

Bike Setup:   The seat was on a Trek 4300.

Submitted by Andthereyouare a Cross Country Rider from Bear, DE

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Strengths:    Well constructed, very light considering it looks so big. And comfy for short and long Mt. rides. No break-in process either.

Weaknesses:    Can't seem to find any even after 2 1/2 years.

Bottom Line:
I played the seat game so many times and wasted so much money looking for that durable yet comfy Mt. seat. This is it and I wouldn't change it for anything. This was perfect right out of the box. I use the Gel Pro model on my Road bike and this one on my Mt. bike. Specialize makes some great products and I would certainly recommend them to anyone. Of course don't get me wrong they do make some bad things too, but this isn't one of them.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD

Purchased At:   www.specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Ti Gel Flite, Fizik Pave, Specialized Gel Pro '03 and a bunch of no name brands not worth mentioning.

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race, Rolf, Easton, XT, Azonic, Chris King, Panaracer, Sid Race it's a nice setup.

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from South Shore, MA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Strengths:    has held up good for 2 years no rips.

Weaknesses:    OK for shorter rides, Quite heavy look at the comp from the back of the seat and you will see why ...the cusion on top of the V is too pointy

Bottom Line:
The saddle has held up well but I need a saddle that will be good for those long rides with NO numbness. OK for shorter rides, but when I ride for 4 hours or more it makes me numb...which gets my wife mad...we can't have that now. Last week I rode a 40 mile training road ride (2 hours) and got numb around mile 30. Not good on the indoor trainer either. When you get numbness shooting up your thing It is not too easy to concentrate on much else. Enough goes wrong on the bike, I do not need that too. I believe I am going to get a WTB Laser Ti I have heard good things.

Favorite Trail:   Freetown State Forest

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST, SDG Bele Air(Ouch), San Marco

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel with carbon extras and those egg beaters ;-)

Submitted by Palmer Fanatic a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    The saddle is firm and the rails are strong. The rails are marked with measeurements.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't make me any faster!!

Bottom Line:
I like this saddle much more than the stock piece of plywood I had. I used to ride and feel it for days in my bum. Now (I'm not going to say all is well), but the pain goes away quicker. I guess I should just ride more. I like this saddle. Not worth the $100 retail, but gladly worth the $30 Ebay bid.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park, COS

Purchased At:   Ebay!!

Similar Products Used:   None. Had a cheapy stock saddle before.

Bike Setup:   '96 Schwinn, front shock, hard tail

Submitted by Tim from Medford, Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, price (it was on $ale).

Weaknesses:    UNCOMFORTABLE! After all the hype with the "Body Geometry" line. somehow I expected more from this saddle. It's a "scrotum squeezer". The raised rails seem to align perfectly to each nut. After only 2 back-to-back rides I was left very saddle sore, not to mention the side lettering started to come off. Poorly crafted.

Bottom Line:
Spend your money elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   Watershed Loop

Purchased At:   specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   SDG, Bontrager FS2000 and Race.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Steve from california

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Strengths:    Good shape and feel. A lot better than my old saddle. No numbnuts.

Weaknesses:    A little firm.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is a great value, considering that I got it in a bargain bin for $30. However, I would not pay the 100 bucks if this one got busted because 100 bucks is pricey for a hard saddle. The saddle has taken most of the other soreness out of my ride.

Purchased At:   Competitive edge cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek saddle, flite

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000

Submitted by Chiripa a Weekend Warrior from Bogota, Colombia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Strengths:    Little numbness. Light.

Weaknesses:    Terrible shape on the rear. It actually is double puncher; one for each nut. And a plyer on the center too. Poorly constructed. It goes apart very easily. It stores lots of moisture. If you wash it, you'll feel like sitting on a curd, even after a week.

Bottom Line:
What were designers thinking? It's better to stay away from it. Literally.

Favorite Trail:   El Armario, Sutamarchan

Purchased At:   Shop in Costa Rica

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia. MTB.

Bike Setup:   GT i-Drive '00, Modified Z5 Bomber/RS Deluxe, STX/XTR

Submitted by Geremy a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Wife is pregnant, what more can I say!

Weaknesses:    Very popular with the poser peleton at Wash Park

Bottom Line:
You may look like a dork, but at least your dork works.

Favorite Trail:   4 corners

Purchased At:   I don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Flite

Bike Setup:   Klein hardtail with umpteen thousand miles.

Submitted by Jose Rodriguez a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Colors and original leather

Weaknesses:    Weak construction. Weak Plastic. Rails too flexible, not designed with confort in mind.

Bottom Line:
I am giving this saddle one flame because it is the minimun I can give it... After just seven months using this saddle the plastic base flexed so much that the rails went of the anchorin base (needless to say that it is impossible to put it back again). The plastic in the base shown signs of stress. The highly publicited "Body Geometry' is just an advertising claim, because such a design does not work with every body

If you plan to spend money in a good saddle and you appreciate your guts, don't throw your money on this model.

Favorite Trail:   Sope Creek

Purchased At:   Specialized Store

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager and Coda

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F400

Submitted by O River a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    no numbness what so ever on my 15th mile all i wanted to do was stand because whatever bones sit on this bike seat hurt but no numbness

Weaknesses:    this thing hurts if it's your first time

Bottom Line:
dispite all the pain involved in the 15th mile of cross country riding my nuts are not numb, sure my back bone hurts but i still have feeling down there. i recommended this seat for those who are about to start a family but if that is not a concern i'm sure there are more comfortable seats available.

Favorite Trail:   anu