Specialized Body Geometry Saddle

2.86/5 (59 Reviews)

Minkow Wedge helps eliminate pressure points. Narrow profile. Manganese rails.

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Strengths:    The most comfortable saddle I've ever used. I am relatively large, 230 lbs, and this saddle takes the pressure off the the areas that use to bother me.Mt hip bones fit nicely on the wide rear sections for good support. Seat angle adjustment is critical.The seat has a long adjusting rail which enables you to play around with the fore and aft settings to fine tune the positioning of the seat to maximize comfort.

Weaknesses:    As other reviewers have noted the outer seat "skin" tends to rip. Need to improve durability of the exterior seat skin.

Bottom Line:
Good seat for big riders!

Submitted by mrwitte a Downhiller from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    -Quite comfortable - for me anyway. Saddle comfort is a very personal and individual blah blah blah...

-Though the erectile dysfunction issue appears in hindsight to have been somewhat more of a "scare" than a genuine "issue", the saddle seems to work as advertised (I have felt less compression in the all-important area after riding and retained the ability to sport magnificent tumescence). I figure why not hedge your bets if the seat can still be comfortable and durable.

-Great durability.

Weaknesses:    -Kevlar ripped a bit on the side, but that's just full disclosure. I don't actually consider that a "weakness" as this happened while I beat the crap out of the saddle freeriding & crashing all over the Pacific Northwest and the Northshore for years. The saddle is still going strong.

-Remarkably ugly to my aesthetic, with wierdo faux-metal-colored plastic crap bolted to its back & front ends.

-Worse, and worst, said back-end faux-metal plastic crap is hideously pointy for no reason I can imagine other than "aesthetics" (yeesh). If you misjudge the space you've got or you just ride a bigger frame, this saddle will scrape the Rocky Mountain oysters right off your body like a razor-sharp gardening trowel. Any time a normal saddle of understandable form factor would merely brush by your shorts, this pointy, silver gladiator's trident of doom will aggressively catch and shred.
This is a particularly ironic property when one considers that this is intended to be a junk-saver saddle to begin with. Forsooth! Oh, bitter truth!
I have more than one pair of shorts that have been mertilized by this thing, but I'm cheap and I live on the edge so I don't throw it away.

Bottom Line:
Save for the one odd, deal-killing decision about saddle shape, Specialized would have knocked the ball out of the park with this one. I would have given this saddle a 3 or 4 for value and a 4 or 5 for overall if the back end of it weren't shaped and hardened like a meathook.

Favorite Trail:   Schleyer to Clownshoes

Purchased At:   Don't remember. Long

Similar Products Used:   Koobi something-or-other that felt great and didn't shred my junk but broke a rail after one moderate crash.

Bike Setup:   Numerous, this saddle gets around. Though I've used it more on my XC/All-Mountain rigs (which I still abused on the Shore) than my big rigs.

Submitted by slimniceguy a Weekend Warrior from ny,ny

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    I bought this seat to minimize my periscrotal disorder (gum disease of the scroti). I must say, this seat has met my expectations. It is so comfortable that I often find myself sitting on my bike to watch TV. 5 chillis

Bottom Line:
Buy this seat. Your family jewels will thank you every day.

Favorite Trail:   City streets

Similar Products Used:   Sella ScrotalFit Classic

Bike Setup:   Cannondale prophet

Submitted by curtis hale a Cross Country Rider from lincoln, nebraska

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    very reliable, put about 3000 miles on it and very little or
no wear.

Weaknesses:    after riding the new body geometry saddle I have less saddle
soreness.

Bottom Line:
The saddle was very durable with minimum saddle soreness.
Specalized has the zone perfect with saddles.

Favorite Trail:   platte river state park

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   velo and trek.

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper

Submitted by Miguel Lott a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas, Harris

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Strengths:    Actually comfortable, though mine is a slightly different model. The hip bone area is flatter.

Weaknesses:    Has logos all over the thing! You have to get used to it for a few days, especially if you're used to softer saddles.

Bottom Line:
My first venture into "modern" style bike saddles, and I'm not disappointed in the least. Mine is a slightly different design than the one pictured, which may have something to do with my perceptions. It's a comfortable enough saddle, and I couldn't beat the price of $10 from my LBS junk box, either. I feel no pressure on anything but my hip bones, so I imagine it's working as it should. I'm usually the person searching for a wider more cushy saddle, so I was a little nervous about trying it. It worked out great.

Favorite Trail:   My ride to work, as difficult as they come!

Purchased At:   Houston Bicycle company's junk box.

Similar Products Used:   None. I have many bikes but only one that is MTB.

Bike Setup:   Mid eighties Santa Fe hardtail, with cantilever brakes. Forged drops, chromoly frame. Rail clamp alloy seat post.

Submitted by dirtdigler a Downhiller from sydney australia

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    like a pretty fishing lure it caught me

Weaknesses:    For what i thought would be a soft on my bum ride it was actually not very comfy the first time I put the bike down the edges tore NO side protection but the worst thing was I crashed a lot

Bottom Line:
I didn't realise what was happening untill I saw my mate with the same seat crash all the time then iy dawned on me the seat is so wide you can't get off the back on drop offs in time and getting back is just as bad . Do not buy this seat for xc or dwn hill as it is actually dangerous it is only good as a commuter bike seat and really for the amount of padding and plush look it should be a lot more comfy in its defense its well designed for pertanium protection and if you have a really scrawny arse the only person on a mtb that should use this with easewould be a bandy leg x horse rider

Favorite Trail:   snail trail

Purchased At:   supreme cycles narrabeen $38

Similar Products Used:   wtb velo plush

Bike Setup:   tricycle with glitter paint and handelbar streamers

Submitted by Ben Stack a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Strengths:    I can't think of any

Weaknesses:    Ouch!! Hard on the rear. Very difficult to adjust it so it's comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this saddle!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Gateway

Purchased At:   Eriks Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Comp

Submitted by reg rider a Cross Country Rider from tallahassee, fl 32308

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2005

Strengths:    A good all around saddle for the money.

Weaknesses:    the material isn't the strongest. the side of the saddle has ripped in a number of places. but after 3 years i guesse it's bound to do that.

Bottom Line:
Looking at all these negative reviews, i feel compelled to give the body geometry comp a fair shake. i have ridden this saddle pretty hard for a little over 3 years. that's a long time and lots and lots of miles. and i love this saddle. the BG comp isn't the lightest or the sleekest, but it is a very comfy mountain bike saddle. Way more comfortable than the selle italia on my road bike (which is light and performance oriented, but which in my opinion is also pretty painful).

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   selle italia gel ti, WTB

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Pro Ti, Thompson Elite seatpost, XTR/XT, Zokes Bomber, Mavic, Merlin Ti road bike, Surly 1X1

Submitted by Barry a Weekend Warrior from San Marcos, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Strengths:    Looks Nice

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable...Have tried 3 positions so far. Seat removes pressure from soft tissue areas and makes you sore in other areas. Seat surface is too tacky, not smooth and slick...Sticks to your shorts/inefficient.

Bottom Line:
Would not buy again. Most uncomfortable seat I have ridden in 30 years. Purchased two seats at the Goodwill yesterday to try as replacements.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Never tried this type of seat before.

Bike Setup:   Using on an old Specialized Rockhopper hard frame.

Submitted by ScHwEiNhUnD a Weekend Warrior from Spokane

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    UH,Looks good? Kevlar on side fends off abrasion, light?

Weaknesses:    weak plastic frame, HORRIBLY HIDEOUSLY ATROUCIOUSLY UN COMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This saddle sucks in the first degree, all of them should be rounded up and burned, it is so badly uncomfortable after about ten minutes of riding and if you commute the ride home is agonizing. with a chamois it isnt as bad but after 2 and a half hours it gets bad!

Favorite Trail:   Bluff?

Purchased At:   Wheel Sport South

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   Giant hard tail, rhynolite, koolstop, panaracer fire xc and a really uncomfortable BG saddle

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    Cut-out

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I liked this seat, especially compared to the stock seat. I rode it for about a year doing cross-country riding on double and singletrack. It was comfortable enough on a long ride, I would just stand up every so often to give myself a break.

Then my bike went into a tree on some serious singletrack and the rail bent (I think, it's all a little hazy). Granted, a seat isn't made to go into a tree, but I think it should have been able to handle it.

One thing I learned, try a bunch of seats before you buy and work on the tilt. It took me a couple of tries before I had it titled at a comfortable angle (a little forward of level) so I could ride comfortably.

Good for entry to mid riders just looking for a decent seat without wanting to do more research.

Purchased At:   HTO

Similar Products Used:   Stock Seat

Bike Setup:   2002 Fisher with XT front, XT/618 wheelset, Panaracers

Submitted by Remi Parent a Racer from Nigadoo, NB Canada

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Seems durable

Weaknesses:    Gave me red marks from friction or poor design

Bottom Line:
This saddle came stock on my new Epic 04.
The seat is alright if you only ride around but if you race or ride hard then you might want to consider something more confy.
3 Chilis for value because of the high price if you buy seperatly and 2 for overall as I think the design could have been better.

Favorite Trail:   sport chalet in Bathurst

Purchased At:   Velo Extreme in Campbellton

Similar Products Used:   Selle flite (very expensif, light but a little hard on ass)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 04, kept my older time pedal, will soon upgrade SD3 brakes to SD7 and will order new saddle today, probably serfas DDVADO.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I like the fit, much better on longer rides than the Flite. Put it on my roadie and put the WTB on the SJ. WTB seems to be more comfortable and is about 85g lighter.