Specialized Avatar Gel Saddle

• Water-resistant MicroMatrix synthetic leather
  • Exclusive medically-proven Body Geometry technology

Submitted by MBURGESS

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Great Seat

Bottom Line:
Had for a month now and i think its good

Submitted by Ben a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Good weight for the money, comfortable for long rides, nice flat shape

Bottom Line:
Have this saddle on my cross country/all-mountain bike. It is pretty light for a cro-mo railed saddle, appreciated for the price. I've found that a saddle with a flatter tail works best for me, since it puts you on your sits bones rather than fleshy areas. This saddle fits the bill, resulting in minimum contact between the saddle and soft tissue, and corresponding comfort.

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred 456, Rock Shox Revelation Dual Air

Submitted by Mateo a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Super comfortable. Solid construction. Decent looking. No chaffing!!!!! Sized just right.

Weaknesses:    The rail on one of the saddles became loose at one end. Not a big deal as they warrentied it without issue.

Bottom Line:
It took me a long time to find a saddle with the right balance between comfort and weight. This saddle has it. I originally wanted it for the numerious 100 mile long rides I do on my road bike, but ended up buying another for my mountain bike as well. I pray they do not change it.

Purchased At:   Landis Cyclery

Submitted by jeffgothro a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    It's alrite I spose, butt seems to get tired of the seat quick, gel doesn't seem all that soft, agree with previous post, WTB Pure V imo better.

Weaknesses:    Mentioned above.

Bottom Line:
Get a WTB seat, I think you'll like it better.

Purchased At:   Bike Ventura

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Downhiller from San Anselmo, Marin, California

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    good for DH
strong
light

Weaknesses:    not good fro all day riding
hurts your groin

Bottom Line:
i had this saddle on my bike thinking: oh gee i get gel! but it turned into:hmm i think ill get a WTB pure v race. it was fine for the first month but as the rain washed away more dirt and made trails more technical, the saddle was a peice of crap. its good for DH because its easy to get behind the saddle. not good for any XC becuase it can be VERY painful on the jewels. get a wtb or something

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   cannondale f400

Submitted by Prince74 a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable
Looks good
weight

Weaknesses:    None I can find after one year of riding

Bottom Line:
Comfortable seat, no pains or discomfort even on 70km+ rides.

Purchased At:   T&L

Avich Arch Rivals
Sram Power Chain 2 - Cross Step

Submitted by smilinsteve a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock CO

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Strengths:    Most comfortable saddle I have used in a long time

Weaknesses:    Heavier than some, kevlar corners would be nice, doesn't look like anything special

Bottom Line:
I used my S.I. Max Trans Am for years with minor discomfort but figured it was as good as any.
This saddle has been much more comfortable. It is more flat across the back, so that my weight is supported over a wider area. The trans am saddle sloped slightly downward from the center which put more weight concentrated on the center. It might just be my anatomy, but for me it is surprisingly comfortable.

Purchased At:   Absolute Salida

Similar Products Used:   Sella Italia Max trans am, plus many others

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz superlight

Submitted by chucko58 a Cross Country Rider from Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonably comfortable under many conditions. Durable.

Weaknesses:    Not so comfortable on long seated climbs. My sit bones were not happy after more than about 30 minutes of spinning. This particular saddle (150 mm) was too wide to easily slide behind on downhills.

Bottom Line:
This saddle was bought after sitting on the Specialized "butt-o-meter". Seems I fell between two sizes and the salesman recommended the wider one. In hindsight (pun not intended) the wider size was a mistake. Ultimately the saddle was too firm for long days of grinding climbs. Might be better suited for non-Clydesdales.

Favorite Trail:   Manzanita

Purchased At:   Trail Head Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL w/ Crank Brothers Joplin R seatpost

Submitted by TrekSquid a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Different Sizes. Sturdy Construction. Durable covering. Focus on "Sit Bones"

Weaknesses:    Even though it says "gel", it is still very firm

Bottom Line:
This may be a little early to review, but I'll probably forget if I wait too long. I have always had issues with seats. I guess I'm just lucky that way. I have always figured paying more didn't necessarily mean it would work any better. My objective with this purchase was to actually be sitting on my "sit bones"...which has never happened to date.

Bottom Line. I can feel that I am sitting on those bones.

- Is the saddle a miracle cure? I don't think so. I still find there are times when I am not on those sit bones.
- Do I probably need to tweek with my seat adjustments a little? Yes, I think I can get a little better performance after I fine tune it a little.
- An improvement over my existing saddle? Yes, I think so.
- Best thing since sliced bread? No. If it turns out to be after I've ridden it a little longer I will come back and modify my post.
- Worth the money spent? I think so.

Similar Products Used:   Never purchased an "anatomical" seat. This is the first

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700. Factory installed Bontrigger saddle

Submitted by ctbarron a Weekend Warrior from Annandale, VA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good shape; like the cutout

Weaknesses:    Slippery; seat rails flex a lot over big bumps

Bottom Line:
Seats are a personal choice, and this one didn't work for me. I tried it for about a month. It is firm, even with the gel padding. It never seemed to get "broken in." It was not comfortable for me even with padded shorts, and brutal without them.

It was also slippery - my but slid all over it with a couple different pants/shorts. It also felt like the seat rails moved a lot when I want over bigger bumps, although it never broke or sustained any damages.
I did like the cutout and it seemed like a well-made saddle. Just not for me...

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rival, a couple by Serfas

Bike Setup:   2009 GF Cobia

Submitted by schnee a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Strengths:    Perfect shape, comfortable, choice of widths, durable

Weaknesses:    Older versions developed creaking noises (ones with gray oval pads, silver stitching and pronounced 'pinstripe' grooves).

Newer ones don't have it anymore (ones with smooth shell with two small arc-shaped printed silver labels on the rear)

Bottom Line:
I have big wide hips, and this is the first saddle I've found that really fits me. When I got measured using Specialized's 'sit bone' guide, I was barely on their chart.

Others made me feel like I was sitting on a hatchet; with the Specialized BG, I'm right on those sit bones and perfect from the start. I've gone on 50 mile, 5,000' climbing days on this saddle. I've also put on 180 miles in a single week on my road bike.

I have these saddles on every bike I own, from my carbon full-squish MTB and rigid single speed 29'er to my classic steel roadie. I see no need to try anything else.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Fizik, Ibis

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper (old bike), Ibis Mojo (new bike), Giant OCR Composite, Haro Mary

Submitted by Foxtrot3p051 a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Very, and I mean very comfortable! What a world of difference this seat makes!

Weaknesses:    None at the moment, just recieved this seat. Been using it Only a couple days.

Look wise the 143 is sleek, similar to the stock seat. 155 is a bit bulkier. Not much but its noticeable. Not that its a big deal, Ill take comfort over style any day as long as I don't look too goofy heh.

I wouldn't consider this really a weakness, but it was something that caught my eye after putting it on the bike.

Bottom Line:
Wow, great purchase! Ive been using the seat that came with my bike for a little over a month now (just got the bike). My butt would get numb and Id have to switch sides constantly with the stock seat.

I have bike shorts, and while they helped a little they didn't totally relieve the pain over long rides.

I first ordered the 143. The moment I sat on it I realized how much better it felt. I decided to exchange it for the 155 though. The 143 was way better then stock, but the seat was a tad too small for my butt. The 155 turned out to be a better fit - It's ridiculously comfortable now! Great buy!

Favorite Trail:   NA

Purchased At:   www.specialized.com

Bike Setup:   GF Wahoo, stock everything

Submitted by pakdoc a Weekend Warrior from Mountain Brook, AL USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    Still waiting on the comfort. Weight.

Bottom Line:
An average saddle....still trying to break this thing in as the Alias was way more comfortable due to the weak flexing rails (which broke). Defininely no flex in these rails and seems pretty durable.

Favorite Trail:   BUMP

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Alias, BG comp, WTB's Rocket V

Bike Setup:   Blt2, xo, ck isodisc on x 819, RF Next

Submitted by PedroC a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    Confort, does not rub on inner thighs, price

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Very confortable saddle for short furious riding or long XC days out. I have the 143 version and it fits perfectly! Only let down is the weight that made my very light bike not so light anymore but at this price it is an excellent saddle and at the end of the day the added 150g, when comparing to the Silverado I had before, is more than compensated by the extra confort it offers.

Purchased At:   CyclesUK