Specialized 03 Telluride Saddle Saddle

3.89/5 (18 Reviews)

Our most affordable version of the MTB specific Telluride line. Incorporates the same design features developed with Ned Overend with more affordable materials to provide a value packed saddle.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Strengths:    Very very comfortable

Bottom Line:
Extremely comfortable saddle with lots of padding. I had some hard old unforgiving thing on my bike, and found when trying to cycle up on rough terrain I was getting jolted out of the saddle which just made for hard work trying to keep traction and momentum. Tried some other cheapish saddles, all just as bad. This new saddle (05 Telluride Pro) gives a sort of suspension effect by absorbing a lot of the hard edge of bumps and allowing me to keep peddling a lot more. Has definately made cycling more enjoyable.

Similar Products Used:   Various cheapies etc

Bike Setup:   Giant hardtail

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Woodland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable. I did the Seattle to Portland ride on it with minor irritation.

Weaknesses:    Rail broke when lifting my bike from my trainer. Thankfully, it didn't fail while I was riding.

Bottom Line:
I can't recommend this seat to anyone. Hope this doesn't happen to you. I'm done with Specialized saddles. I weigh 190 lbs., so it should have worked fine for me.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   fizik Aliante Gamma, Specialized Turbo

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Elite road bike

Submitted by Jonesy a Weekend Warrior from Penrith, UK

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    Exceedingly comfortable, while not looking podgy at all.

Weaknesses:    Strength

Bottom Line:
Well, i'd not given it any purposeful stick but it got bent slightly off to the side by a couple of degrees - but pretty minor really. Just corrected it by bending it back the other way. It held up against a beating at Glentress (up till I broke my wrist) a fortnight ago on a frame that's probably too big for me, so that's a good sign.

At £30 I wouldn't be terribly fussed buying a new one if it properely knackered, but the guy at the shop said if it broke bad it may be covered under warranty anyway!

Buy it - as long as it doesn't get broken you're onto a winner especially for the price. I wouldn't really recommend for hardcore downhill sort of stuff but anyone dabbling in that area who also does XC will appreciate it greatly.

Enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen XC Route/Glentress

Purchased At:   Bike Trek, Ambleside

Similar Products Used:   Just stock seats, namely the supplied one with my Marin. The difference is honestly unbelievable. No longer feels like i've been sat on bollard for 3 weeks.

Bike Setup:   Marin Hawk Hill... but getting an 04 Marin Rift Zone tomorrow!!!! Woo hoo!!! I'll be keeping the seat though...

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2004

Strengths:    Comfortable, comfortable, comfortable but still a narrow enough saddle that it doesn't get in the way on technical bits.

Weaknesses:    Quality - I'm on my 4th one. The first two had loose rails (which really didn't affect performance, but it was a nuisance on a brand-new bike), the third bent after a relatively minor over-the-bars incident (was going really slow on flat ground)

Bottom Line:
Really, really comfortable compared to the 3 or 4 other saddles I tested (Sporting Life is great at helping you get setup properly). If you can afford to replace them every once in a while it's great.

I'm going to try the new Telluride Pro when my next one breaks.

Purchased At:   Sporting LIfe

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR '03

Submitted by EnduroPro R a Cross Country Rider from Renton, WA USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Strengths:    price and it's comfortable

Weaknesses:    Broke one of the rails. Noticed some "play" in the rails about 2 months after I got the saddle. Then one of the rails snapped after 7 months of riding. I was just climbing a hill and, snap!

Bottom Line:
The seat has been comfortable all along. The only problem is the construction. I started noticing some 'play' in the rails about 2 months after I got it. Then while I was riding my normal trail one of the rails snapped. I took it into the local specialized dealer and they couldn't believe it. The rails snapped at the rear bend. They'll be talking with their Specialized Rep this week to see if Specialized with warranty the saddle. I thought it was a decent price for a saddle, but my overall rating is 'poor' b/c it broke. I've never broken a saddle in my life and I'm not a heavy rider (168 lbs.)

Favorite Trail:   Tapeworm

Purchased At:   RiverCity Bicycles Portland OR

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry Comp

Bike Setup:   '03 Enduro Pro, XTR disc/shifters, XTR RD, XT FD, Thomson Stem and Seatpost, SunRynoLite XL rims, Specialized Enduro Pro tires, CK headset.

Submitted by Mike E from San Mateo

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable. No numbness. Narrow

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended. Very comfortable. Perfect amount of cushion. I tried a total of around 6 different saddles for my MTB. Since I really couldn't tell if they're gonna work for me, I bought one, used for a few months, then tried another. I was looking for a comfy saddle that didn't leave the boys numb. This seat does the trick! The Speicalied Pro Comp was like riding a two-by-four. SO uncomfortable! My sit bones were killing me after even a short ride. This seat is very similar in design, but has padding. Definitely try it!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Pro Comp. WTB love channel. Others similar

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Air

Submitted by jimi doo a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    Soft cushion, middle cut, wide tail, light

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Looking for a new saddle that was softer than my really old one and had a middle cutout.

Tried the 04 Specialized Milano Ti but its cut is too aggressive. Had a small sweet spot on the saddle.

04 Telluride Pro is one of the softer saddles out there. Decent middle cutout. Give it a try.

Favorite Trail:   ECMd

Purchased At:   Specialized

Similar Products Used:   04 Milano Ti, Fitzik

Bike Setup:   Merlin MTB

Submitted by Stretch a Cross Country Rider from San Deigo, CA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Total comfort -- all the time.

Weaknesses:    None detected so far.

Bottom Line:
I was beginning to think that life was a choice between bicycling or emasculation until I came across this saddle. The Telluride is a dream come true -- comfortable, fairly light, comfortable, narrow, comfortable, well-priced and comfortable. The marketing material indicates that Ned Overend led the saddle's design. Thanks, Ned -- job well done!

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG, WTB Laser, Trek, and others.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Submitted by Rob from New Baltimore, MI

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    Lots of padding, comfortable even after 5 hours in the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality leather, the grey and black color wears off ( also stains light colored shorts). The rails bend and became loose under normal riding conditions.

Bottom Line:
I'm now on my 3rd seat since April. The grey and black color wore off after 2 months on my 1st one so I returned it to my Specialized dealer and he replaced it. The same thing happened on the second seat, along with the seat rails becoming loose and beanding. I returned that one and am now on my 3rd seat. I think it is a great saddle but Specialized really missed the boat when it came to quality. I hope they offer a higher end Telluride Saddle for 2004 that will last more than 2 months.

Purchased At:   Fraser Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Comp

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper, XT, Eggbeaters, Cane Creek..

Submitted by Marcus Ward a Cross Country Rider from Warrensburg

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    Seems to be built well, too early to tell really, relatively light.

Weaknesses:    The leather looks scuffed after putting about 10 hours of riding on it, I can't tell if I need to put some saddle soap on it, if this is just funk from my behind or the leather is poor.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is awesome. I tend to run it quite a bit further forward than I did the sella italia, but the pressure is all on my sit bones and my dong is happy for that. No numbness or bad pressure where there shouldn't be, I can ride much much further with this than I could the italia. Great product.

Favorite Trail:   chubb, knob, katy

Purchased At:   FREERIDE bike and skate shop, wbg

Similar Products Used:   Sella Italia Flight

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper m2 fs, RS duke etc etc, the usual stuff

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Lufkin, TX (USA)

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    Price, looks, performance, reviews by others.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a great saddle for only $40. The stock saddle on my bike was a Bonty mid-grade with a gel pad right at the base of my nuts, like that is gonna help the jolts? Bonty makes crappy saddles, I've had 2 of them (came stock on bikes) and pitched them both after a couple of rides. This Specialized Telluride saddle is a GREAT seat for the money. If you buy one, you'll be thinking all the other saddles out there are "To Hell You Ride!" 5 setamin turds all 'round.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on!

Purchased At:   Specialized Store on the 'net

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Bontrager, Serfas.

Bike Setup:   '03 model Trek 8000, full XT, Duke front shock, Panaracer tires and Time Comp pedals. Other than that it's right out of the box.

Submitted by Hank a Weekend Warrior from Redlands, CA , usa

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Good looking.

Weaknesses:    sticky leather. No cutout means no air - saddle heats up from butt and friction. pants/shorts make big difference.

Bottom Line:
Saddle width fits between a technical and comfort saddle. also, the body geometry design extends the saddle further back ... better on dh. Gets really hot when wearing some shorts, and there's no cutout so no air circulation. I think this is more comfortable than wtb rocket v, but the heat bugs me. Overall, one of the best saddles I've tried.

Favorite Trail:   socal

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   WTB rocket race 03' , trico sports memoflex airflex, Trek OEM, mongoose pro dual density

Bike Setup:   cheap sp full suspension

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Wethersfield Ct. US of A

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    Price, Looks, Shape

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
It would take a great saddle to suplant the WTB, and this one does. Cant beat the price for comfort. Long term durability is the only thing in question

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on