Home | Reviews | Saddle | Sette

Sette Race Ti Leather Saddle Saddle

3.93/5 (14 Reviews)

With the Race Ti you don't have to suffer the consequences of an uncomfortable lightweight saddle. The Race Ti features a layer of EVA foam & a ultra soft leather cover. The Ti rails provide shock absorbency & reduce weight. 198g

Submitted by Aaron Jenkin a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Light, cjeap and looks slick on the bike

Weaknesses:    As already noted a few times... BUT PAIN!!!
Plus a bit narrow for my liking

Bottom Line:
Great looking, light and cheap saddle, but the longer I am on it the more it hurts. 70km yesterday was my 10th ride on it and it was hell. Certainly not going to be on the bike on that saddle again for a few days!!! Saddles are such a personal thing and what works for one may not work for another. But this saddle hurts more than any other saddle I have ridden and will be swapped out ASAP.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG of various forms

Bike Setup:   Medium-top end alloy hardtail

Submitted by Fleas a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light!
Looks good - sleek.

Bottom Line:
Excellent race saddle! Easy clearance to move around it - good shape. Cheap! Not too slick/slippery.

Would not recommend for long-in-the-saddle rides. If you're on a lot of technical stuff where you are standing a lot, it's perfect. If you are spinning up fire roads all the time, then it's probably a little thin and short on comfort. I thought I would like it for long haul road-to-trail rides, but it started wearing on me after a few hours. For those extended rides I will seek more padding.

Can't grade it on abrasion- or impact-resistance... yet.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   None, really.

Bike Setup:   Rigid 29er w/ gears, tubes, disc brakes

Submitted by Don Duende a Cross Country Rider from Eastern Sierra

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light(200gm)and cheap.

Weaknesses:    Comfort. This saddle didn't work for my wife on her road bike. So, I put it on my MTB for a while. Not the best saddle I ever had but not the worst.

Bottom Line:
Saddle comfort is a very personal experience. The saddle fit me much better than my wife, but not as well as others. On the MTB I don't spend as much time in the saddle, so the weight savings is appreciated.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager (pathetic)
WTB Shadow V (good)
E3 Form Gel (better)

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, Maverick DUC32 fork, XTR, Chris King headset and hubs, Mavic 717 rims, Fox RP3, FSA carbon cranks, Candy C pedals, Thompson Elite seatpost, E3 saddle

Submitted by Cookie_Monster a Racer from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Leather cover
Ti rails
cheap
very light

Weaknesses:    OUCH!!!!! Butt pain!!!!

Bottom Line:
Hey, this seat is a bargain. But I get numb riding it after 30 minutes. My porker of a sofa seat WTB Pure V is much better for 1-2 hour rides. Must be the "whale-tail" design that my butt likes. I'd honestly use the Sette only for racing, but even then, I like more comfort in the long run - less tiring in a race. There are more comfy saddles in the same weight range, but you're gonna pay 3x-4x as much.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Pure V OEM

Bike Setup:   '06 Kona Leroi RaceFace Evolve XC seatpost (2006)

Submitted by robotkiller a Cross Country Rider from JAX,FL

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight, cheap. Ti rails, leather cover. Saddle shape is comfortable and looks kinda like a Selle Flite

Weaknesses:    some may think it's uncomfortable. Graphics are a little chintzy. Looks weird having a cheapy saddle sitting on a fancy rig, but who cares - it works.

Bottom Line:
When I first put this saddle on, I thought it was the most uncomfortable thing I had ever seen. I was used to riding on my big cushy WTB and the Sette was just unbearable. And this was on a full suspension bike. I put it away.

Long story short, I bought a hardtail to replace the FS and eventually got around to throwing this sucker back on the bike. Again, unbearable. I decided to stick with it, however, and after a couple of long rides, I have adapted. Now I love this saddle -- the smooth cover makes it very easy to maneuver and now I find it to be very comfortable. Weird.

I never thought I could give up the WTB, but having a light saddle really makes a difference in the handling of the bike as well as sliding up and down the seat. Spinning seems more efficient now too.

I like it -- it's unbelievably cheap, has Ti rails and weighs in the 190s. I cannot think of a reasonable flaw. If you've wanted to try a light race saddle but don't want to pay a ridiculous price on an experiment, get this saddle.

Favorite Trail:   razorback

Bike Setup:   IF steel deluxe

Submitted by Scott a Racer from New Orleans Area

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, sleek. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Ouch.

Bottom Line:
The price and the reviews sold me on this saddle. I raced it for the first time today (2 hours) and am fairly chafed even after buttpaste. In all fairness, I'm using a second hand clamp and bolt (lost the original in the last race)until the Thomson elite seatpost arrives. This has led to the seat sliding up along the Ti rails. What this seemed to do was bring the seat back a little and raise the front allowing for spandex grab. Since I was aware of it I was more careful but it caused me to stand up longer on my legs and burn energy. It may have also brought me up closer to the front; subsequently, more chafing than would have been normally if the seat would have stayed in position. I may get another slightly more comfortable seat for training and put this on for racing. 3 overall rating but I'll come back later after the new clamp if my theory is correct.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Backbone, Loveland, CO

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Specialized saddles.

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Epic. New Thomson Elite seatpost on the way.

Submitted by Thai Hua a Cross Country Rider from Quebec

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    -Cheap
-Light
-Comfort

Weaknesses:    -None

Bottom Line:
Great product. Better then my Specialized BG Rival and so cheap for an Titanium rail saddle. Really recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont Qc

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   -Specialized BG Rival

Bike Setup:   -Epic Comp D
-XTR rear and front derailleurs
-XT dual control Lever
-XTR Disk and galliper
-LX crankset
-FOX RL100 fork

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Indy

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, comfort, smooth cover

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
With the usual disclaimer that saddle comfort is individual- This saddle is the BEST. Light with a smooth leather cover and a great shape. Lets you move when riding without catching your shorts or chaffing your thighs. Minimal padding, but with the way the plastic frame flexes a bit none is needed. I've ridden 2-3 hours rides with no problems. I use it on XC and road rides. (Not sure I would trust it for big drops, freeride, etc.)

Favorite Trail:   The next one

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco, WTB, others

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse F/S

Submitted by gary stoughton a Cross Country Rider from moab,utah USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight,looks good,fairly comfortable,cheap...cheap...cheap?

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This saddle looks cool and is under 200g,seems to be well constructed and it's cheap!!With the thudbuster under it,it's pretty comfortable,without it?I'm not going to try to find out!For $25 this is as good as it gets!!

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Similar Products Used:   bontrager,specilized BG

Bike Setup:   05'Rockhopper Comp,sette bar/stem,sette carbon spacers,profile bar ends,thudbuster 3G,blackburn rack,sette race Ti saddle

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Strengths:    Light, inexpensive, flexy enough for comfort. Ti rails, leather cover.

Weaknesses:    Maybe too flexy for a full-on race saddle. Being picky: the graphics on the saddle rub off after the first ride, but personally I think the saddle looks better without them.

Bottom Line:
You can't beat this saddle for the price. I know it won't suit most "racers", but its a comfortable saddle that cuts weight. Maybe a little too much flex to provide sufficient energy transfer when grinding it out.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight w/Fox Float AVA RL. Crossmax XL, Reba SL.

Submitted by esmundo from canada

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2004

Strengths:    light, base with good flexibility, price

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
It's rather unwise to review a saddle because everyone's rear end is different. Comfy for me could mean disaster for you. But for an unbelievable price which could only get you another swap out stock saddle, who can go wrong. For those who have experience on light weight/race saddle may found this a real treat, with a thin layer of padding on a flexible base, I've found it to be really comfortable. And for those who have always been hesitated to get a race oriented saddle because of the unsure comfort level marked with a somewhat rediculous price, here's your change to tried out a dirt cheap but quality product which can compare with those that cost 3 times as much.

P.S. I used this on my road bike which means much more saddle time compare to mountain riding. And just for reference, I'm a lightweight rider with bony butt.

Similar Products Used:   selle italia trans am, gel

Bike Setup:   devinic apex

Submitted by Jason from Fort Bragg, CA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Strengths:    It's light and looks pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    It's just what it says.......a race seat.

Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, this thing is a race oriented saddle. that's what it's billed as and that's exactly what you get. No frills (or padding!). For the price(point) I can't complain. I knew I was getting a light seat with minimal padding but I didn't know how minimal. It has less padding that the photo makes it look like (and the photo doesn't look like much padding!). I've gotten used to it but, I would've stuck with the higher priced Terry fly or similar had I known how little padding this had.

Don't get me wrong, SETTE does right by you on this one. $29 bucks hardley gets you a bike tube anymore so to get a Ti seat that's less than 200 grams for this price is insane. So, I give it a pretty darn high rating because me being delusional about my purchase shouldn't be their fault!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Mavic, XT, Avid ti, Rock Shox Duke, Thomson.....

Submitted by brandon a Weekend Warrior from amarillo, tx USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    super light, very forgiveing, strong leather

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
i love this seat. its light, which is why i bought it, and is forgiving when you rack yourself. and its comfortable too as long as you dont sit on it for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   urban