Serfas Saddle Saddle

4.21/5 (109 Reviews)

Serfas Saddle

Submitted by whydied a Cross Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    Looks
Snappy stitching
Weight
Pyshological sense of value out the door

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable
Fragile
Bad Adhesive

Bottom Line:
Well when I was in college I worked as a bike mechanic at this hole-in-the-wall cycle shop owned by an ex-drummer from some semi-famous local Chicago rock band or something. The guy wasn't always able to get me my paycheck on time so I used to help myself to some items amongst the stacks and stacks of random stuff in the back storage room. I nabbed this seat, and thought it looked pretty p1mp1n with that fancy stitching all over it and the Ti rails. Plus, it was pretty light. Too bad a canvas bag filled with broken glass would be more comfortable to sit on than this seat. Okay clearly it isn't that bad, but it always felt lumpy and hard in all the wrong places. Perhaps individual ass-bones are like snowflakes, no two are ever the same, and likewise this seat is comfortable to some and miserable to others. In any case I guess I've owned, and used, this seat for about 8 years. Even though it was uncomfortable and has probably made me sterile, I stuck with it. This afternoon one of the seat rails broke. It snapped right behind where it enters the post clamp. So RIP my faithful crude seat with the fancy stitched lettering.

Guess it is time to get one of these WTB seats everyone seams to rave about.

I rate this seat a 4 for value, because I think that if I had actually payed a cent for it, I would have been happy with all the features it sported visually, and despite being torture to sit on at times, I excuse that somewhat due to the probability of anatomical bias.

Overall I rate it a 3 because long term this was a seat that simply did not wear well with time. Rather than develop an aged look with some character, it just kinda started coming apart and breaking down. I probably have too high a pain threshold and am too tolerant. I'd guess most people would have tossed this seat after a year at most. For some reason I kept using it until its structural integrity was completely terminated. Who knows why?

Favorite Trail:   Places without trails

Purchased At:   not purchased

Similar Products Used:   Another Serfas Kevlar seat that was as skinny as a thong, A Specialized perforated leather seat, Other various seats that remain nameless

Bike Setup:   95 specialized stumpjumper steel hardtail frame with a hodgepodge of colorful aftermarket upgrade parts.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Firm, quiet, not slippery.

Weaknesses:    Hard nose, especially on long climbs.

Bottom Line:
I've used this saddle for six years - after 6,800 kilometres it's not the first thing on my bike I think about changing.

Favorite Trail:   The OAKS, Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Maroubra cycles:Shoriq&Matt

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FS +10, Koski engineering, Scott

Bike Setup:   Mongoose SX6.7 hardtail, mech and running gear upgrades

Submitted by Marty a Weekend Warrior from Moncton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    economical, works fine once broken in, light for the price

Weaknesses:    took a while to break in right..

Bottom Line:
super deal.. for the price.. cant go wrong.. be perfect for a racer on a budget who want light weight parts.. but cant afford much... this puppy saved bout a quater pound off my old shred up seat... still just like new 2 years of hard use later..

Favorite Trail:   whatever i can find

Similar Products Used:   lost count!

Bike Setup:   atx 840, judyxc *4"*, titec cockpit w/easton monkey bar, 'xt' v brakes.. yada yada yada

Submitted by James Dodd a Racer from Walworth, NY US of A

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Strengths:    Nice fit and finish, the stitching of the logos is first rate. The feel of this saddle beats the crap out of the stock GT saddle that was designed by the Marquis De Sade.

Weaknesses:    Little pricey for chro-mo rails.

Bottom Line:
I can do more miles now without saddle soreness thanks to the Serfas Cosmos. Major improvement in comfort. I'd buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   Mix

Similar Products Used:   GT stock saddle.

Bike Setup:   Nothing special.

Submitted by Special Ed from Los angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Decent weight, good suspension and comfort comfort comfort

Weaknesses:    Tacky graphics. Hard to find. Price.

Bottom Line:
When it was time to replace the POS that came with my road bike, I went with the Prolink thinking that it'll be more comfortable for long rides even if it was significantly heavier. Boy was I ever wrong! The ARC Dual Density Pro Ti on my mountain bike felt way better and is 80g lighter. I had thought of exchanging it for the lighter Flite Gel but decided to stick to what's tried-and-true, the only problem now is that I can't find one to buy.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   San Marco Concour Light, Selle Italia Prolink

Bike Setup:   Yeti mtb, Specialized M4 road

Submitted by Mario Javier a Weekend Warrior from Oakville, ON Canada

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    Durability, comfortable and looks good.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
The LBS where I bought this from no longer in business! I guess for durability, this saddle outlast the store. I average 500 Km a year on my bike and I have this on it for the last 3 years or so. I dropped the bike and scrape the side of the saddle but the materials did not tear. I guess that is kevlar for you. I recommend this to anyone thinking of upgrading their saddle. However, I would probably lean more toward the RX version. I am not sure if it is more comfortable than the original, but from others have said, I guess it will be.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso Conservation

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Similar Products Used:   Vetta TT, WTB and SDG7000

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher X-0 with full XT and Raceface components

Submitted by Garrick Whitnah a Weekend Warrior from Keller, TX

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Tough!
Clean looks
light
not real expensive

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any
Might be a little firm for some

Bottom Line:
Love it! Bought the Dual Density Pro with kevlar sides to replace the scuffed up SDG that came on my Klein. It was a lot more comfortable for me as well. When I bought my Specialized road bike I could not stand the Body Geometry seat so I replaced it with another identical Serfas. These have really held up well. Real light, also, with the titanium rails. The only problem I see is the new ones have a groove or gel (are they as good?) - I can't find one just like the two I have (I need one for the tandem I just bought).

Similar Products Used:   SDG Belair
Specialized Body Geometry

Bike Setup:   1999 Klein Mantra Comp
2000 Specialized A1 Sport

Submitted by Pup a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Strengths:    COMFORTABLE -- AND FOR A WOMAN RIDER!!!!!!
DURABLE!! stands up to mud, crashes, sharp rocks...
Did I mention comfortable?
Narrow and flat behind, super design
Light
Sexy looking

Weaknesses:    Hard to find mail order, so have to pay LBS prices.
All-kevlar is sweaty

Bottom Line:
This is an update to previous review, for the Leather/Kevlar ARC Dual Density Pro

Ive now had this (exact same) saddle for 2 solid years of riding in deserts, mudholes, snow, falling down cliff faces... its been thrown in creeks, submerged in mud, bounced off slickrock, skidded on fireroads. Its been through two frames. Ive done everything but douse the thing in kerosene.

Its got a little scuffing on the leather, thats all.

Its by far the all time favorite part of any of my bikes. Padded but not gooshy, firm but not painful, flat but not broad, narrow enough to get off of without a second thought AND WIDE ENOUGH FOR A WOMENS PELVIC BONES, long enough nose to creep up hills on. Comfy enough for five-day riding trips to god-knows-where.

If they ever stop making this saddle, it will break my heart. Twenty chilies.

Favorite Trail:   Ozone / 310

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Flying Wedgie, in all its versions
Fat gel saddles
Wide "women's" death trap saddles

Bike Setup:   Uzzi DH dream bike, Z1 / XT / HS33s...

Submitted by Chris Blau a Weekend Warrior from Everett, Wa USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    Tough as a Lessbian from Louisiana. The seat has seen flesh tear, bones chip and not nary a tear in the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Too damn rigid!!! This is definately a racers only seat, there is no give at all here. It's okay for down-hill, mostly 'cause you're never on it for more than a fraction of a second.

Bottom Line:
I reiterate, this is a racer/down-hill application only.
I Like to mix up down hill Jams, with cross country rides.
There is no cross country bred into this saddle so avoid it like the plague if you do the same.
Just the wrong saddle for the application, it's good if the
over all objective is to keep the seat post from finding your arse and that's it. I went and got an RX to see if I could keep my sack safe and it seems to be a good fix to
the alternative. Did I mention the RX is very comfortable?
Just make sure you don't get the fake suede version, it'll get you in a bind!

As for this saddle, I'm taking it to the local chain gang and see if they can work some boulders into gravel with this baby! Some one want to buy it??? $5.oo & shipping.

Favorite Trail:   Tolt - McDonald park

Purchased At:   This lame place called "Bike Works"

Similar Products Used:   The old plastic polymer BMX saddles, remember those?... damn similar.

Bike Setup:   GT LTS Spin (Full susp.), Rock Shocks Judy DH, KORE stem, Titec Hellbent bar, Shimy' XT components.

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from the bushes in canada

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Strengths:    this is a sweet seat, i take my beatings repeatedly... the kevlar hold up beautifully

Weaknesses:    after 2 years the stitching for the letters is coming out

Bottom Line:
this is a good saddle, it is soo comfortable, i bought it off a friend who had it on a BMX... i dunno why he got rid of it, but it is GREAT!!!

Favorite Trail:   sticks and stones

Purchased At:   freinds house

Bike Setup:   fisher level betty(98) lx, bontager crow bar, plat pedals, irc tires, GOOD STUFF

Submitted by KWG a Cross Country Rider from SACK OF TOMATOES

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2000

Strengths:    SERFAS CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE BEST.
TI rail broke. Within 3 days, Serfas replaced the rails and mailed it back to me.
Comfortable, Kevlar lasts forever.

Weaknesses:    The titanium rail broke!!

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Kevlar Dual Density Pro:

Serfas knows how to treat its customers. However, as other reviewers pointed out, it doesn't matter how comfortable the saddle is or how nice the company is if you can't trust the product. After reading how many others have broken the rails, I'm not so sure it's safe to ride even with the replacement rails. It's not good when you can't ride and trust your bike parts. I haven't broken any other company's saddle rails. I would've given it 5 flamin' Godzilla dingleberries but it's unacceptable to have this many riders posting about broken rails. It must be a design flaw. Check out the other saddle reviews.

Favorite Trail:   MR. TOADS WILD RIDE

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST Kevlar; Specialized OEM on the 1999 FSR; Bontreager saddle that's OEM on Trek STP 200 (nice saddle)

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek STP 200 w/ Marzocchi Z2 Atom bomb & Race Face headset (you must replace that cheesy OEM headset)
1999 Specialized FSR XC w/ Mountain Speed X-Rated bearing kit (you must have the bearing kit) w/ Marzocchi Z1 drop-off

Submitted by Baron von Big Ring a Racer from Wisconsn

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2000

Strengths:    Super Comfy, Cutouts underneith, light, kevlar protection on the corners (ARC Dual Density Pro, women's version)

Weaknesses:    Not available mail order

Bottom Line:
Best saddle I have ridden to date. Its held up well on my hardtail. I want to put one on my dual suspension bike but I'm worried about bending the rails. Seats take much more of a beating due to being seated more on the dually...I've already bent my beloved Vetta TT. I also plan on putting one on my road bike.

I have the narrow women's version (which as a 155# man) I find extremely comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   The Lab

Purchased At:   La Grange General Store

Similar Products Used:   Selle Novus, 2 models of Selle San Marco, WTB SST-X, & my trusted old Vetta TT trishock

Bike Setup:   Fisher Paragon, XTR Rapid Rise rear derailler (THE BEST), crappy Judy T2 with Total Air Cartridges

Submitted by Richard Warg a Weekend Warrior from Woodland, CA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    The Serfas RX Mens. Comfort, comfort, comfort. It was comfortable the first time I sat on. Quality finish.

Weaknesses:    Price??- Nah, it's worth it.(see below)

Bottom Line:
I've got a 60 year old bony butt and I'm a new rider. I recently finished my first 100 miler in horrid wind conditions and was never aware of this fine saddle. (Maybe it was the distraction of the wind.) It was just there all day and no matter how I sat on it it was comfortable. My bike has a stiff ride to begin with and I was concerned that I might get pretty sore by the end of the day. I needn't have worried. Definitly a perfect choice for an older man with not much experience.

I have the Avocet Touring on my commute bike and I love it but after 50 miles it becomes uncomfortable, especially if I need to get on the drops in a headwind. After 100 miles the Serfas felt like I could have done another 100 miles.

Purchased At:   Foy's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry, Avocet Touring

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez A1, Serfas RX, SPDM-434

Submitted by cdale a Cross Country Rider from scottdale, PA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    Cost, weight, looks, durable

Weaknesses:    i had a crash and bent the rail out of the seat so i gave serfas a call and they gave me a new one free within weeks. no questions asked. great service.

Bottom Line:
this seat is so great. i got the serfas arc dual density for $50. i've tried many seats and the serfas is the best by far. it's so comfy i never have any pain at all and every other seat i tried gave me pain. none of the stiching ever came out. it is skinny so its so easy to get behind. it's light weight and looks cool. i highly recommend this seat for cross country riders.

Similar Products Used:   WTB sst, titec berserker, coda 900, vetta tri shock, selle italia

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M500, RST Mozo, LX and XT components

Submitted by JonBoy a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, Larimer

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable, good-lookin', light weight.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Pro Duel Density RDG and Women's Pro Density
Sweet saddle. I had the mail order company deliver straight to my work place and as soon as I took it out of the box, two buddies already wanted to ride it. The RDG is definitely the most comfortable saddle of the five I have ridden over the past few years. It sports a deep but not overly noticeable groove down the center, generous cutouts, and cushy tailbone pads. The best thing is it looks like a race saddle while still being so comfortable that you essentially forget about it while riding. I know that saddles are a personal preference thing, but let's face it, some designs are better than others.
By the way, if you are looking for an awesome women's saddle, my wife rides the pro duel density / women. She loves it.