Serfas Men's RX Saddle

3.71/5 (14 Reviews)

• Deep groove technology assists in eliminating pressure in soft tissue areas
  • New Dual Density Base technology allows base to flex in critical areas

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mtb_nw a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    Durability, Material.

Weaknesses:    Even though this saddle seems to be comfortable, don't be fouled. There is too much padding built into this saddle to be safe for long riding. After 7 years of using the Serfa RX I now have permanent Pudendal nerve damage. My doctor told me I may never be able to ride again. I started using this saddle 7 years ago when I got serious about biking. I talked with the local bike shop at the time and they recommended this saddle because it was designed for a man’s body. Luckily for me my physical therapist is a road biker and sent me in the right direction so I can start riding again. The first change was to get away from a saddle with a lot of cushioning and get a firm saddle. I cannot stress the importance to men to get the right saddle. Go to a bike shop that can measure your sit bones and get a saddle that place all your weight on this part of your body. Even if the saddle is correctly fitted for your body if it has too much padding the excessive padding still places too much pressure on the Pudendal nerve and artery. I have spent as much as ten hours in the saddle in a single day and the cumulative damage adds up year after year. And yes my saddle was installed properly.

Bottom Line:
    I cannot recommend that anyone should buy this saddle. Even though I occasionally go on epic rides I only average 5 to 6 hour per week in the saddle. If you are a serious rider spend the money and time to get a saddle that correctly fits your body. I almost ended up with ED because I believed the sales pitch and did not get a saddle that was correctly fitted. What I thought was normal minor discomfort at the end of a ride was actually damage that I was doing to my Pudendal nerve. I now have saddle that does not cause Pudendal pain or pressure while in the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Ranger Creek, Suntop

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   I have used this product for over seven years so I have no long term comparison. I do recommend a Specialized saddle with body geometry. This is what I now ride. I can't believe the comfort difference a well designed saddle makes.

Bike Setup:   I first had this saddle on a 2001 Schwinn Moab. Moved it over to my 2004 Kona Dawg in 2004. Broke that seat and replaced it with a new Serfa RX in 2006. I again moved the saddle to my 2008 Specialized Enduro SL that I purchased this summer.

Submitted by Paul Whitcomb a Weekend Warrior from Stoneham, MA. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    Gives relief to the perineum with a good balance of support and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little firmer.

Bottom Line:
    After reading a scientifically-conclusive article about the difference in blood flow in the genitals regarding seats with a center groove and ones without, I finally took this aspect of my health seriously and bought the RX. I am using it on my racing bike, which I use for short rides (under 20 miles) and commutes. I can't dig the extra acceleration out of it like I could my Topo KevlarKT, but frankly, I don't care. The seat basically does the job while not injuring you. It is somewhat supportive and comfortable enough. A good balance. I would like to see it firmed up for street riding, though.

Favorite Trail:   Moose Run, D.A.R. State Park

Purchased At:   City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Topo Kevlar KT, Selle Stratos

Bike Setup:   1989 Raleigh Technium Pre. Scott Aerolite bars, Stronglight stem, ITM gooseneck, Camagnolo brakes, bottom bracket and crank, Sun rims, Easton aluminum seatpost, Kinesis aluminum forks, front hub Shimano 105, rear hub Specialized sealed.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Qc, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort. Not too big. Supporting where it counts. Kevlar means you can toss it around more than leather and not worry about it.

Weaknesses:    Not waterproof.
    two tones may offend some people?

Bottom Line:
    This bike seat is great! I am a lightweight biker, 6"0 160 lbs, so I may not have the same demands as my more robust bretheren. However, I love riding hardtail, with no shocks. this seat is soft enough to take the bite out of the potholes you miss and firm enough to keep your contoglements well protected from the cruel cruel world that bikers expose it to.

The reason I gave it 4 chilis instead of a 5 is simply that I am sure if I were willing to shell out more dough, I could find somethign better, but that has not happened yet.

Favorite Trail:   Downtown baby!

Similar Products Used:   Various WTB, Gary Fisher ,Trek and Selle Royal Products

Bike Setup:   Marin Muirwoods, mostly stock.

Submitted by Victor Okunev a Cross Country Rider from Port Moody, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable indeed and keeps you potent :) Also if you ever have to leave your bike unattended you no longer have to remove the seat. Just run the locker cable through the slot in the saddle.

Weaknesses:    The rails are so soft, this saddle does not even belong to the MTB-related reviews. It is suitable for the commuter bikes only. My arse bent those macaronis very badly just after a couple of rough landings. Also the saddle is too wide for easy maneuvering.

Bottom Line:
    If you're really into MTB sport, then spend your money on something that has 8mm rails.

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   NRG Kevlar

Bike Setup:   Brodie Brute

Submitted by paul a Weekend Warrior from toronto, canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    very soft. medically tested. space in center to ensure you dinger keeps working.

Weaknesses:    material can rip

Bottom Line:
    I felt like someone lifted up my ball sack and kicked me right under it, so I bought this. If you want to save your nuts. go get it.

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Bike Setup:   specailized Hr comp

Submitted by James L. a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable and no more loss of feeling after a long ride!

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy, and hard to get behind.

Bottom Line:
    I race at 225 lbs and am 36 yrs old and 6'4" tall. I also have a rock shox seat post. This combo compleatly eliminated any problems with my prostrate! (can I use that word on this site?) After two years the seat finally started to break apart. I am looking into the slightly narrower one so I can get behind it without much effort. If I try a different seat and my ass hurts I'll buy another one of these quicker than you can say saw palmetto!

Favorite Trail:   The Farm

Purchased At:   Penn Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Stock seats, Gel covers

Bike Setup:   Bontrager(old School), XTR/XT

Submitted by Ralph a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    Really comfortable and great for long rides and bumpy trails. No numbness and in the groin area and cool.

Weaknesses:    Hard to move back during downhill. Retains moisture when wet.

Bottom Line:
    Really great! I recommend the product, however if you like doing DH try the other Serfas saddle which is narrower. I convinced a friend who was suffering from numbness to change saddles and he bought a Sefas RX and he never ceases to praise the product.

I would suggest some kind of waterproofing without reducing breathetability and comfort of the saddle.

Similar Products Used:   SDG

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR, XT and Deore components, Titec, Kore, Panaracer Tires.

Submitted by David Greenspan a Weekend Warrior from Bala Cynwyd, PA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive and very comfortable on the perineum

Weaknesses:    Still get butt cramps after 2 hours. Some wear.

Bottom Line:
    Inexpensive and very helpful for that perineal numbness. This saddle is a must try, especially given that it is quite inexpensive IF you have had problems in this regard. The wear is quite evident on the surface detail but so far no structural problems. I still get some Butt ache on the longer rides, adjustments have only helped some, but I have never NOT had a butt ache on longer rides. Perhaps its my fit (5'8", 160) or perhaps its that I only ride once or twice a week.

Favorite Trail:   Valley Forge

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper hardtail.

Submitted by Matt ScaryMonster a Cross Country Rider from Malvern

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Like a butt massage. Mmmm, butt massage,

Weaknesses:    Sucks up water

Bottom Line:
    Serfas, Inc.
    Attn: Customer Service
    20402 north Sea Circle
    Lake Forest, CA 92630

8/27/02

Dear Serfas,

I have been a user of your 2002 Men’s Rx Saddle for approximately 1 ½ months and would like to let you know my experience! My initial reaction to the product was releif of the genital soreness and numbness that previously led to considerable discomfort: I could function like a man again! And after a long epic, that counts! A true beleiver I discarded the packaging in a cavalier display of loyalty!

As a mountain biker I regularly encounter certain obstacles such as stream crossings and rainstorms, not to mention butt sweat. The Serfas Men’s Rx Saddle absorbs not only the impact of these factors, but also a considerable volume of water. This condition causes ‘crotch moistening’ which has in turn led to chafing and irritation in my tenderest areas. In addition, the unmistakeable scent of thriving mildew surrounds my bike’s proximity and transfers from the seat to my clothing.. Your product has replaced my saddle-soreness with saddle-stink!

At this time I request whatever provisions Serfas’ product testing and customer service teams offer to restore/replace the Men’s Rx. A replacement saddle with some sort of water repellancy action would be acceptable, or even an identical saddle with a water resistant glove would suffice. If neither of these options are available, I’d accept reimbursement for the cost of the product. I’d be glad to return the product to you for observation.

As a loyal customer I do not wish to purchase a competitors seat, such as the Terry Liberator, which has a non-absorbing sheath. I would like to continue promoting Serfas standard for customer care, as I trust I’ll discover as a result of this letter!

Unfortunately I have been dubbed ‘Smellamastra’ by these unforeseen circumstances. I ask you: Please do not select your company a rhyming moniker such as ‘Surface’ when ‘Service’ is an available option.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Matthew

Favorite Trail:   Whatsahickon?

Purchased At:   Bikesport

Similar Products Used:   Terry Liberator Mens

Bike Setup:   Kona Cindy, Bomber, someupgrades

Submitted by Steve H a Cross Country Rider from Chula Vista CA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, absolutly no numbness

Weaknesses:    Would like to see this product in leather cover.

Bottom Line:
    I had this saddle installed on my bike when I first purchased it. Lasted about two and a half years. I thought I would try something different. Tried a Specialized Body Geometry. Big mistake. It is not the saddle for me. I am on the bigger side (195 lbs) and that saddle downright hurt, and no matter how I positioned it, numbness everytime I road. Brought it back after less than a week and purchased another RX. My rear and the boys are happy again!

Favorite Trail:   Sweetwater trail