Serfas Men's Performance RX Saddle

4.69/5 (16 Reviews)

• Deep groove design assist in eliminating pressure in soft areas
  • Hollow Cromoly rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by swampdog a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    comfort,comfort comfort. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Weaknesses:    white fake stitching design. mine finally faded before failure. hollow rails. how much more would solid rails cost serfas?

Bottom Line:
    Great seat. Very comfortable. Durable except for the hollow rails. Padding feels the same as when I bought it. Rode 8 to 10 average mountain bike miles a day for 10 months and rail snapped yesterday. Its back to the Brooks old school seat which will outlast many of these saddles. Almost got a year out of it.

Submitted by Tom Bartton a Cross Country Rider from Tehachapi

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    Unbelievably comforable. I have been riding for 20 years and this saddle does it. I am boney butted so it is criticle for seat comfort and contour. This seat flexes., feels like your sitting on a sofa! A little heavier but when it comes to comfort on a 15 mile ride, 175 grams is not a discussion.

Bottom Line:
    If you have issues with seats, have to adjust yorself when your riding and get sharp pains or are miserable on your curent seat, this is the seat...

Favorite Trail:   Edwards Air Force Base trails

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   An upgrade from the old erfas ARC Gel seat which was also comfortable

Bike Setup:   Specialized EPIC FSR

Submitted by judge031 a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable from the start with no need for prolonged break-in period. Good compromise between super slim performance seats (causing pain and numbness on long rides)and too-fat saddles for the upright posture bikes.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    If it holds up for 5 or 10 thousand miles of bike path riding, I'll buy it again and again. It's the best seat I've used so far in about 15 years of heavy duty riding.

Similar Products Used:   Mostly stock seats that came with various bikes and one (uncomfortable) Velo "Bio:logic" saddle.

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3 FX and Trek 6500 set up for path riding

Submitted by yo.man a Racer from ottawa

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    most comfortable seat ever sat on, bar none. i can ride all day and feel fine. the one i had came with a vinyl covering which was amazing for protection from rain, but....

Weaknesses:    vinyl covering eventually crumbles in extreme cold and heat.took a long time though.

Bottom Line:
    i dont think they make this seat anymore. they got a new version with a neoprene/spandex like cover which wont stand up to any type of riding for long. theres also another version with a leather imitation which also wont last too long dull surface grips clothing. the original version (i think) was the best , even though it fell apart(it took many years, 7, i think)it was smooth shiny tough surface. if you can find this one BUY IT, you wont be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   everytrail

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   none.im so sad!

Bike Setup:   whatever

Submitted by erockem a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Narrow
    Great Padding

Weaknesses:    Red emblem doesn't match my bike.

Bottom Line:
    GREAT SEAT! I'm a bigger guy 198lbs. Padding is excellent and it's nice and narrow at just over 6 inches (twss) because of that I get no thigh rub (twss). I have maybe 1,200 miles on the seat total with some rides as long as 65 miles at a time and it has been pure comfort. I'm now shopping for a second one for my road bike!

I would recommend this seat to EVERYONE!

Purchased At:   REI.COM

Similar Products Used:   Stock trek seats

Bike Setup:   TREK 4500 Disc

Submitted by Richard Cranium a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    Solid construction, sleek looking, but the most important thing is that this saddle is so comfortable !

Bottom Line:
    This saddle rocks ! Comfort like no other saddle I have ridden. Gives me the ability to ride much longer time spans with more comfort then on previous saddles that I have ridden through the years.

If you value your backside and oranges and want comfort without sacrificing too much weight buy this saddle you will not regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek Park

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V & WTB Devo

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1 & Giant XTC

Submitted by Claro Evangelista a Weekend Warrior from Woodside NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2006

Strengths:    Really comfortable. I'm happy with this purchase.

Weaknesses:    Did not find any yet.

Bottom Line:
    Thank you all for your reviews. I bought the Serfa Performance RX based on your comments and really happy with it. A big improvement in comfort level when compared to my Bontrager saddle which always reminds me that I'm sore down there. I used it on the trail and tend to forget that it's there. The twins are happy!

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Purchased At:   Mud Sweat & Gears

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager saddle that came with my Trek Session 77

Bike Setup:   Trek Session 77

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2006

Strengths:    Comfort, relief of numbness, and still the right shape for serious XC riding

Bottom Line:
    I was experiencing some dreaded numbness from an overly soft seat. This on is a nice balance between performance and health. When it comes to that area, why skimp? Best $60 I've spent on anything ever. Protect your boys.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Generic crap that came with my bike

Bike Setup:   Upgraded Giant Yukon

Submitted by Mauro Angel Pena a Weekend Warrior from McAllen, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Strengths:    comfort, assurance your body will be ok after long rides... a bikers best friend.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy for serious racing, but perfect for club rides on the weekend.

Bottom Line:
    Great road bike saddle. I would really recommend it for anyone looking for serious comfort on long rides. To be specific, I ride the Serfas performance rx saddle with Pearl Izumi Attack Shorts and have never had a sore bottom with this combination. On the other hand, for serious racers, this is a great training saddle, but you would have to exchange it for something lighter on race day. On a final note, I am 5 foot 8 and weigh 150 lbs and this is the best saddle i've ever had. I recommend it!

Favorite Trail:   City Bike Lanes

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Velo

Bike Setup:   2005 Mercier Galaxy AL

Submitted by BLOPA a Cross Country Rider from BUENOS AIRES

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Strengths:    quality construction, good materials, ligth....

Weaknesses:    grey canal color.a little expensive.

Bottom Line:
    long time confort, i`m 80kgs and i find the correct saddle.

Purchased At:   local store

Bike Setup:   gt avalanche with upgrades......

Submitted by Walt a Weekend Warrior from Kent, WA King

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2005

Strengths:    Right price, does what it's supposed to do.

Weaknesses:    The translucent plastic trim looks a bit tacky.

Bottom Line:
    The channel in the middle reminds me of... well, never mind, but this is one very comfortable saddle for say, a twenty mile ride or so. Maybe I'll do more if I lose some gut muscle.

Purchased At:   Angle Lake Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Avocet coil spring... probably the stock saddle that came with the bike.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper retired from active duty. It now serves as your basic old fart exercise bike.

Submitted by Gilbert Moore a Racer from Bowie, Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Great padding (Cushy and accomodating without being mushy or too plush to provide the needed support), Narrow, and relatively light weight as alternative saddles go.

Weaknesses:    In terms of the functionality of the product, I have not noticed any weaknesses. However, the graphics and color scheme are Serfas blue(light blue/silver blue), so you may have to get passed that. A small price to pay for happy gonads.

Bottom Line:
    Good saddle. Not the lightest on the market according to its gram count, but it never seems heavy on the bike. In fact, it is about as heavy as top level saddles of the late 1990's. Nice combination between narrowness, weight, and comfort.

After years of riding regular bike saddles I started to develop some problems that nearly ended my cycling days. Then I started to search for more comfortable saddles that would allow me to sit comfortably for a 3 hour ride.

I started with Terry, Specialized, and several other 'comfort type' saddles. Somehow I then stumbled onto serfas, and rode the RX for two years with no problems. However, the width of the RX was a constant source of abraisions and rashes on my inner thigh, and made it harder to throw the bike from side to side during out of saddle efforts. It was also rather heavy, but it kept me on the bike and I was grateful.

Since I'm a big rider (6'2", 235lbs) I figured the width provided better support. Upon switching to the RX Performance model, I was really suprised at how much better it felt. No more problems when working out of the saddle, the weight is acceptable, and it is even more comfortable to me than the comfort version(RX).

Now I tell all of my riding buddies to check out Serfas. Those that have tried a Serfas have made a switch. The others, well I guess they're not having any issues. Good for them. But, if your nads start screaming when you ride, stop everything and get a Serfas Performance RX. It is the most important bike purchase I've made in 20 year of riding/racing.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Serfas RX saddle, Terry Liberator, Specialized Body Control, Sella San Marco Regal, Titano, Rolls

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Mavic Open Pro Rims, Easton SLX fork.

Submitted by Gene Henriksen a Weekend Warrior from Newport News, VA US

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Fits me well. I am a 180lb, 5'11" rider. I found the RX Men's saddle a little too wide. This one is narrower. No problems with soreness. Durable, comfortable.

Bottom Line:
    For me (180 lb, 62 years old, ride 2 to 3 hours at a time) this saddle is perfect. I prefer the leather cover over lycra becasue it doesn't absorb water and I can slip on and off more easily. The narrower back (compared to the RX Mens) makes manuvering easier. No saddle sores.

Similar Products Used:   Serfas RX

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, XTR, hyd. disk brakes. Easton Monkey Lite handlebar.

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    This seat is comfortable, and natural feeling. Other split seats (like the Specialized Body Geometry Comfort) force your posterior in to unnatural positions, and feel fat and high. This Serfas model feels like a normal seat, only a bit better padded, and your nads don't hurt after a long ride. Looks great too!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any, yet...

Bottom Line:
    I'm a biggun at 230 and 6'1". I've tried most of the comfort saddles, including other models from Serfas. I now believe everything with the word comfort in it, is uncomfortable. The Serfas RX Pro has the perfect shape for me. Not too wide, not too high or over padded... It feels like an extra comfortable, normal seat. I noticed no numbness after a 20 mile technical ride and it was my first ride. I only expect this seat to get more comfortable. I felt like I could ride forever.

I think the correct shape and a good center channel is more important than all the gel in the world.

Try it!!

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore/Pt. Mugu

Purchased At:   65.00

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry Comfort and Comfort Plus, Schwinn dual density comfort saddle, Selle Italiz Turbo, other Serfas models.

Bike Setup:   2001 Jekyll 2000. Numerous XTR upgrades and Mavic 317 wheels

Submitted by SledgeFoot a Cross Country Rider from W. LA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    - Comfy support for sitbone
    - Quality materials used

Weaknesses:    - Not suited for my thin build (or lack of?)

Bottom Line:
    This saddle not suited for my body. I am one of those thin 130lbs climbers.

The plush padding for the sitbones offer great support for the sitbone, but once your sit bones sink into the padding, there is too much pressure on the crotch area (the cutout section did help a little, but not enough).

Since thinner riders have little padding on their butts, this means that your crotch area sits lower and closer to the saddle. Since the sit bones sink into the plush padding, so does the crotch area by default. As result, pressure is felt and you end up supporting your body on your sitbone and crotch.

So if you are 130 pounds, and 5'10" tall, pass on this saddle. I have come to learn that thicker saddles aren't for my body, so I have found comfort in thinly padded saddles like the Specialized BG Pro and Selle Italia Flite Max.

I give this saddle a 4 for value, at $60 it's not bad for a medically designed seat. The Specialized ones sell for much more. For overal rating, it is not fair for me to give this a low rating, because it did not match my body type. So I will give it a 4 because it was comfy on my sitbones. It's not the saddle's fault that I have flat butt.