Selle SMP Pro Saddle

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 290 grams MSRP : $259.99

Endorsed by physicians, the patented SMP saddle features an extra wide channel that eliminates pelvic floor pressure and restores blood flow to surrounding tissue.

Submitted by jSatch a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2012

Strengths:    perineum relief
perineum relief
perineum relief

Weaknesses:    expensive (imported?)
a little to firm for me
wish they made a mtn bike specific model

Bottom Line:
took a couple of rides to get used to and adjust the position, but much less pressure where it counts.
pricy saddle, nice leather, construction seems good.
best for xc/long distance riders. a little to firm for me. i went with the hybrid model. more padding, more comfy, vinyl cover for easy care. less expensive too. has held up to some crashes, jumps and stuff.
these replaced my wtb pure v saddle due to prostate issues. wish i did it before.

Duration Product Used:   1 yr

Similar Products Used:   lots of saddles. much less pressure that channel type of seats.

Bike Setup:   speshi sx trail

Submitted by jonshonda

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Yes, it is very expensive, but its the only saddle that doesn't make me go numb.

Bottom Line:
I had the summer of 7 saddles, everything in specialized lineup, and a brooks B17 too. All of them could not provide the comfort I needed. I don't know if I have larger than normal testies, but they always seemed to not have enough room.

I have always been fitted with a 155 saddle, so I wasn't sure the SMP Pro would be wide enough ( the dealer said through convention out the window with these saddles, there is nothing else like them out there). Well, went to the local SMP dealer, who threw one on my bike and put me on the trainer. My balls knew from the minute I sat on the saddle we were heading in the right direction. FINALLY, they had a perch ( aka the eagles beek). Now to see if I was going to go numb....please please, don't go numb.

After about 20minutes on the trainer I hopped off and guess what, I walked out the door with my new saddle. THANKS!!!

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable Saddle after getting used to it. You find that only your seat bones are sitting on the rear flat part of the saddle and everything else has no weight on it. You can ride all day without soreness in the saddle.

Weaknesses:    It is expensive, but it makes your ride more enjoyable, and you can ride longer with no soreness, so thats worth it.

Bottom Line:
I had problems with other saddles, that after 25/30 kms or so, they would start to hurt.
When I got this saddle, it felt hard at first, but after about 5 rides I got used to it.
Your seat bones are sitting on the flat rear part of the saddle and there is no weight anywhere else. My seat bones were sore initially but once used to it, there was no soreness.
Make sure you sit on it properly. With my bike I have the saddle slightly tilted up, so when Im on it and the suspension sags, it sits flat. You dont want to fall into the middle of the saddle.
You may find it hard to sit on at first, but persevere, your seat bones will get used to taking all the weight.
For technical sections, I find myself lowering the seatpost as the saddle is hard to get behind sometimes.
Also if youre going to spend money on this saddle and you dont know anything about bike fit, spend a bit more to get yourself fitted to your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Wisemans Ferry

Purchased At:   PricePoint - online

Similar Products Used:   Lots of different WTB saddles

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Comp 2007. Santa Cruz Superlight 2011, Fox fork, Shimano Tubeless, Sram X9.

Submitted by matteorollino@yahoo.com a Weekend Warrior from stockholm, sweden

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    quality

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
doctors said i could not ride any longer due to very early prostate problems...after a few funky looking saddles that would obstruct basic movements (spongywonder.com)i decided to try smp...i started with the lower end "strike" (30 EUR)....amazed, no pains...moved up to plus (150 eur)...amazed again, the saddle was even better...i now ride pro, i was scared it would not be wide enough but this is so far the best smp I have tried. Expensive piece of gear, but then again possibly the most essential when riding. Worth every penny for the riding pleasure. In conclusion...value for money? Maybe not:smp charges a fortune for this stuff. Value for riding confort? 100000000000000% positive

Favorite Trail:   italian alps

Purchased At:   ebay.de

Similar Products Used:   smp strike, smp plus

Bike Setup:   scott genius 30, scott scale 40

Submitted by Hospital a Cross Country Rider from Byron Bay

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The left hand side rail on this saddle collapsed. I'm a Cross Country rider no huge jumps or bumps. Returned saddle to LBS they called the new OZ rep for Selle and he wanted to debate with them regarding replacing a rail on a 300.00 saddle that is 6 months old.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is garbage for the price. If it fails and your in Australia the new OZ rep will want to send it back to Italy to have them debate the warranty with you. Come on Selle if you advertise a saddle as being the best then make it last a little longer than 6 months. Me I will never purchase from Selle again.

Bike Setup:   Orange E8 World Cup.

Submitted by Hummbird a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2008

Strengths:    The greatest saddle ever as far as I am concerned. Period. All other saddles even when broken in still generate some kind of pain. This one is totally pain free. Seriously, no pain, of any kind, well maybe a bit of wallet pain.

Weaknesses:    PRICE, no question the only thing that hurts about this saddle is paying for it.

Bottom Line:
Have to ding the price on value, but this saddle makes me want to ride more, longer, and harder. If you can stomach the price buy the saddle and you will never understand why anyone would ride anything else.

Never knew I could be so passionate about a saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Phil's

Purchased At:   WebCyclery

Similar Products Used:   Selle Flite Carbon Rail, Numereous WTB saddles, a bunch more I can't even remember

Bike Setup:   95 S-Works Hardtail, Single speed, Sun Tour Microdrive XC Pro cranks FTW!!!

2013 Stumpjumper ht comp vs 2013 Carve Pro

Hi all, I have found a store pretty close to me, and I can get a 2013 sj ht comp for $1,780 and the Carve Pro for $1,650! I mostly ride the trails close to me which are not to hilly but do have some steep climbs, not to much down hill either. however there are a lot of roots and rocks. which bike do ... Read More »

Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro parts diagram

anyone got one available. I cant contact Ringle as its the weekend!Read More »

Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120mm Oil Service

Hello to all, Just a quick question. After 8 years I've decided to replace the oil on my Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120mm fork... Great fork by the way. Below is a photo of the oil that was in the chambers. [url=http://postimg.org/image/pgtk5xes1/][img]http://s8.postimg.org/pgtk5xes1/DSC01272.j ... Read More »

My Hope Pro 2 EVO is killing me

Actually, that's the other way around. I'm killing my Pro 2 EVO. Repeatedly. What gives? It's a 150x12, ridden on a Banshee Prime. The wheels were new last March. By last July I had cracked the freehub body and half the bearings were shot. Hope warrantied the body with a stainless one. Bearings ... Read More »