Selle SMP Lite 209 Saddle

• Casing: nylon 12 charged with carbon fibre
  • Frame: AISI 304 tubular steel

Submitted by older'nslower a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    Super comfortable while being narrow enough to move around on. Firm padding. High quality construction.

Weaknesses:    Price. These are expensive. Blame the Italian guild system I guess.

Bottom Line:
Hands down the best saddle I've owned in twenty years of riding. If you've ever had prostate problems, this saddle delivers what others promise - albeit at a hefty price (like $250). This particular model is curvy, which means that you'll need to find its sweet spot on the rails before the full benefit will kick in. I liked it so much, I eventually bought its less padded brother, the Dynamic for my road bike. Since I've been using them, I haven't been back to the doctor for any prostate issues (usually not an issue for young guys, but if you can afford it, view it as prevention). Some retailer's will allow you to demo one before ponying up the cash for a purchase. That's what I did before I committed the cabbage for this baby. If you want a pretty good description of the different models, see Steve Hogg's website.
If you're considering one of their saddles, I can't recommend the lower end models that you see on some of the online retailers' websites. I first ordered one of the cheaper ones thinking that I would try to get away with spending less cash. I immediately returned it. I think that there are better saddles out there in that price range. Either go all the way or buy something else.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   WTB Vigo, Specialized Romin

Bike Setup:   Cross Country mostly

Submitted by Spectre a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable saddle overall. The cut out is very effective at taking care of numbness problems down there. The saddle puts pressure on your sitbones and takes away most of the pressure elsewhere.

Weaknesses:    Not so lightweight, but weight is reasonable. Expensive even compared to other high priced saddles

Bottom Line:
Great saddle, but note that your sitbones will be sore after longer rides until you get used to the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   SDF

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Turbo, Flite, Flite Trans Am, Selle SMP Glider

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade

Submitted by Ejglenn a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    I bought the SMP lite 209 after much research and after much numbness and other negative effects to anatomical areas needing good blood flow. I do the Make-A-Wish 300 mile ride each year, which is three centuries back to back for three days. Last year I rode the saddle that came with my bike, after which I seriously considered going to my urologist to see what was going on with my "male functions" or lack thereof. I did some on line research and discovered what was going on based on my symptoms. After recovering fully in a few days, I decided to purchase a new saddle. In short, I looked at many, sat on many and chose the Selle Lite 209. I rode the WAM this year with no ill side effects of being in the saddle for three hundred miles except the expected sore butt. I recommend this style of saddle to any male who has experienced disfunction after many hours in the saddle. Get fitted for the proper width and select the seat with cushion that best suits you. I would suspect that women can experience the same benefits. If you are a roadie, this is the saddle for you.

Weaknesses:    Haven't experienced any.

Bottom Line:
My bike is fast and nimble and now I have an excellent saddle to take me the distance. If I had two butts, I'd buy a second one!

Favorite Trail:   Sorry I'm a roadie

Purchased At:   Wekeepyoucycling.com

Bike Setup:   56 cm Bianchi San Lorenzo Scandium frame, Campy daytona 10spd gear set, Campy Proton wheels, Vittoria Rubino Pro tires w/Kevlar (celeste of course), Ritchey SCM Carbon handle bars, Profile jammer bars and Look Keo carbon peddles.