Selle SMP Glider Saddle

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 260 grams MSRP : $259.99

Endorsed by physicians, the patented SMP saddle features an extra wide channel that eliminates pelvic floor pressure and restores blood flow to surrounding tissue.

Submitted by seattle43 a Racer from Roswell, GA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    Design, stitching, leather, ergonomics

Weaknesses:    Weight for those weight weenies, yet if you ride LONG distance then a few grams should not make a difference if you are comfortable! I have a black seat and the leather looks great after two years....the white seat leather has not held up very well. The seat is still functional, yet the leather looks 2nd class.

Bottom Line:
This is a seat you need to adjust more than once. The directions state to tilt the seat nose up a hair...and you really need to do so, yet once dialed in, the best seat EVER. Have done 4 Ironman's and countless century rides and always hear complaints from others about their seats. I have one on each of my bikes and will never switch.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   eBay & LBS

Similar Products Used:   Fizik, Brooks, WTB

Bike Setup:   Custom Lynskey Helix and Cervelo P3 Tri Bike

Submitted by Peleton1 a Cross Country Rider from Plantation, FL

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Strengths:    Other than the fact that I think that Alex's Bike Shop on SR84 in Davie, FL ripped me off on price, this seat takes a little while to get used to but it is outstanding once that happens. My wife is especially grateful that I'll continue to be able to satisfy her after riding a century or two. Regarding Alex's Bike Shop and the price I paid - I blame nobody but myself for being so stupid. But don't make the same mistake I did.

Weaknesses:    Don't get ripped off on price. Don't buy from ALEX'S BIKE SHOP on State Road 84 and Hiatus Rd in Davie, FL

Bottom Line:
A great seat! A less than honest bike shop.

Purchased At:   Alex's Bike Shop, Da

Similar Products Used:   I have had other Selle seats but this one takes the yellow jersey. I have found the seat that I will use ... at least until Selle makes something better.

Bike Setup:   Specialized

Submitted by KevinK a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable after a month of use. Your butt needs time to adjust, but, once adjusted, no saddle can compare in comfort and health for your circulation. Great for Ultra endurance rides.

Weaknesses:    Cost, takes time for your butt to adjust to using your sit bone. Weight

Bottom Line:
Eliminates numbness, increases circulation, extremely comfortable for long rides, best saddle I've owned. Just wish the new Carbon railed Glider were lighter than 210g. Currently using a SMP Full Carbon on my other bike, and still trying to adjust. Comfort level is far greater than it's Full Carbon counterpart.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite Titanium, WTB Laser Titanium, Selle SMP Full Carbon

Bike Setup:   05 Titus Talas Switchblade, Shimano XT Cranks/cassette/chainrings/chain/front derailleur, Sram X.0 gripshifts/rear derailleur, Formula 2010 The One brakes 180mm f/r, Masterpiece seatpost, Elite stem, Manitou Absolute Elite 140mm MY08 forks, Fox Talas shock, Mavic 819disc rims, DT Swiss 240s hubs, continental Mt. King 2.4 ust front, WTB Weirwolves 2.1 ust rear.

Submitted by enu9 a Racer from west palm beach, florida, usa

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    comfort, better for your health

Weaknesses:    high price but its worth it

Bottom Line:
if my taint could talk it would say "smp for president". i am 37 and was starting to have some difficulty going peepee after long rides but this saddle has fixed me right up. i just did the 12 hours of santos solo and rode the next day with out any pain in the nether region. my legs and arms were a different story though. 300 dollars is as much as some less serious riders pay for their whole bikes but if you ride a lot the smp is a worthy investment.

Favorite Trail:   santos

Purchased At:   alex's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   various fizik saddles among numerous others

Bike Setup:   lynskey pro 29er hard tail.

Submitted by asmallsol a Racer from Livonia, MI

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I've used this saddle for road and I love it. No numbness what so ever. I've used Selle Itilia cut out saddles, Specialized BG saddles, ect and nothing comes close to how good this is. There are tons of reviews on Roadbikereview and other roadie sites but not many for MTBing.

I was worried of it being too rough for MTBing, but its great. So much so, after experimenting with my road saddle on my hard tail, I bought another one. I ended up using this saddle for the Shenandoah 100, and even after over 10hrs of riding, there was no discomfort (except for my legs and arms, but thats another story)

Only downside to the saddle is the price, but its so good, I was willing to buy another one. To get it a little cheaper, check on ebay. Alot of people end up trying the saddle and find out its not for them. Found my second one in like new condition for 180bucks

Purchased At:   Ebay and CrossCountr

Similar Products Used:   Everything

Bike Setup:   Used on Road, cross, and hardtail

Submitted by Myke a Cross Country Rider from Granby, Colorado - USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Smart and functional design. Handcrafted from premium components. This saddle relieved the pressure and severe numbness I was experiencing.

Weaknesses:    None so far. The cost is high so one needs to shop around to find the best deal.

Bottom Line:
Back in the day only my sit bones would get sore during the first couple of early season rides. After that everything was okay and I could ride for hours on a hard saddle. Once I got into my early sixties things changed - image that.!. My Selle SMP Glider is the carbon railed model. No more dead and numb body parts. I'm back... Neither rock, nor stump, nor gnarly sligletrack shall defy you. Rise up humble mountain biker and seize thy kingdom...

Favorite Trail:   the Winter Park, CO trail system

Purchased At:   theprostuff.com

Similar Products Used:   I've used a number of saddles in my 29 year mountain biking odyssey. Many of the known name brands. My favorites include variations of the Selle Italia Filghts and a couple WTB designs. The last one I used was the Specialized BG Rival Ti with the pressure relief channel. But nothing comes close to this new design of the Selle SMP.

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon. Fox Talas RLC, Specialized AFR shock w/Brain, Magura Marta SL brakes, SRAM X.0 parts, XTR parts, Mavic CrossMax SL-R wheelset...
Backup bike - 1997 Litespeed Tellico (6AL-4V Ti) hardtail with lots of titanium. Was a $6K build in 1997 dollars and comes in at a flat 20 lbs. A keeper...

Submitted by ERO a Cross Country Rider from Malvern, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    Does what it says on the tin, is comfortable and control is good.

Weaknesses:    It's really too expensive for what it is...and this was the cheaper range.

Bottom Line:
My phisio once said to me, quite seriously, that extended riding on saddles like Flites equates to problems 'down there' eventually. Not 'if', but 'when'. She was right. At last, after over 30 years of serious off road cycling, I've found the saddle I should have been using all my life. Early days, but no numbness whatsoever after two hour plus rides on it. If you ever have any 'difficulties down there' after extended riding, you really should at least try one of these. The problems get worse as you get older, so be warned. These saddles come in a variety of widths, so don't assume you know which one to get - take some care to have your seat bone width measured - the dealer will explain about this (i.e. don't buy mail order). Oh, and if you do get the right width, it's actually very comfortable and control is excellent - easy to slide off the back. I cringed at the price until my first ride on it, after which it didn't seem to matter. Not really for novices, though. If you're an occasional, relaxed upright rider, go for something soft and padded instead. This saddle is for the more committed, aggressive rider.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the Chamonix valley

Similar Products Used:   Several Flite saddles over the years

Bike Setup:   Fat Chance Yo Eddy steel frame X-C MTB. Increasingly less aggressive setup as I get older.

Submitted by tkehler a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, with wide cutout, but above all, fits me perfectly

Weaknesses:    Price, I guess (but it's worth paying big dollars for a great fitting saddle, no?); some would say the shape is goofy?

Bottom Line:
These saddles aren't for everyone, but they are fabulous IF they fit you. Because of your positioning on them (I have several), you should get one that's narrow: i.e., close to the width of your sitbones. So get your sitbones measured before you buy one and complain about it. Another thing: it does take a while to get comfortable. It took me two weeks of riding before my muscles toughened up, and of course YMMV. However, I strongly recommend this, and other SMP saddles, for anyone who has tried a variety of saddles but wants a cutout saddle of genuine quality. I use one on my road bike too. (Only four chilis for value as these are very pricey.)

Purchased At:   Campione Cycles, Van

Similar Products Used:   Plenty of seats, including the famous Brooks (Swift ti; B-17 etc. -- Brooks are great for shorter distances, but now I'm crazy about the Glider)

Bike Setup:   Seven sola ti XC bike, Thomson seatpost and stem, Moots bar, SRAM X9

Submitted by dixie002 a Weekend Warrior from Tauranga, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort. The painful memory of the high price tag soon disappears when you realise that you no longer have a sore backside and numb genitals.
Believe it or not but it has actually increased my cycling speed. More time is able to be concentrated on the riding style and cadence, rather than trying to get comfortable and moving around the saddle to prevent pain/numbness.

Weaknesses:    None apart from cost.
Looks a bit ugly, but less so on the bike.
My LBS pour scorn and derision upon me but hey, that's a small price to pay for comfort.

Bottom Line:
A great investment in riding comfort.
Highly recommended nothwithstanding the very steep price.
I'd love to try the carbon SMP one I'm worried I'll want one; and I'm so weak......

Favorite Trail:   TuHoto Ariki & Billy T