Selle SMP Extra Saddle

• Casing: Nylon 12 charged with carbon fibre
  • Frame: AISI 304 tubular steel rails

Submitted by dedmann a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    super ego, replace-able rails, crash tough, drop nose

Weaknesses:    i find it faultless.

Bottom Line:
being 140lbs my boney bottum really appreciates the extra amount of padding. i have a real hard time finding a seat that fits since breaking my hip. this seat changed my rides completely. made for longer ride with out having to "tough it out" in the saddle. i have yet to hit the wall in the saddle sore category since i started using this seat. i crashed at nearly 30 mph; sending the bike tumbling: not a single tear! barely a scuff. i highly recommend this seat. if you are bony, have wide or wonky hips, and love your prostate- then this seat for you

Favorite Trail:   sunset -flagstaff

Purchased At:   Bicycle World Kingma

Similar Products Used:   san marco concour, tioga spyder, brooks professional, wtb volt, sdg something or another

Bike Setup:   all mountain, rough xc

Submitted by esXso a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Well-designed full-length cutout allows excellent blood circulation. Long adjustment rails. Nice amount of surface grip; not too slippery. Right amount of padding; not too much. Easy to drop behind and remount. Inexpensive. Made in Italy.

Weaknesses:    Heavy at 320g (advertised weight) but lighter than the 395g SMP Extra. Looks a bit strange.

Bottom Line:
Unsure what the difference is between the SMP Hybrid and the SMP Extra. My guess is the Hybrid has less padding and is hence less heavy but they look identical in photographs.

I used about an inch thickness of flour in a flat 2-gallon zip-lock bag to measure my sit bone width on top of the toilet seat cover. My 124mm sit bone width is very comfortable on the SMP Hybrid 140mm width saddle. I was initially worried the saddle would be too narrow and overly padded but it isn't.

The full-length cutout is highly functional for long climbs or low aero position (road-bike style) riding. My previous saddle crushed the kibble & bits and cut off my blood circulation. I expect other saddle manufacturers will soon be imitating this design.

Favorite Trail:   neighboring loop thru the foothills

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a WTB Pure V Pro which I liked, but not nearly as much as this SMP Hybrid. The WTB was giving me numbness.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR 29er, rider is 6'2" 185lbs

Submitted by FrenchFit a Weekend Warrior from Left Coast, CA, US

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    Good on and off, in the drops saddle. For long rides. I put one on my touring rig.

Weaknesses:    Feels a little, padding is a little overdone.

Bottom Line:
This is a good saddle for distance and being in an aero position, hiking on and off the saddle. The drop nose is smart design. The Extra suffers from being a little heavy, bulky, maybe too much padding for some. I bought it for long distance riding, and riding int he drops; so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   Tomorrow's

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   On a distance bike.

Submitted by moshemark a Cross Country Rider from Gush Etzion, Israel

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    Eliminates numbness, works well on a mountain bike

Weaknesses:    Takes time to get used to--uncomfortable for the first few rides.

Bottom Line:
I used to experience numbness on prior saddles, but haven't since I switched to the SMP. I have found, though, that the saddle can get uncomfortable on full-day rides, and I have to make sure to shift around on the saddle. But on less than 4 hour rides, it's quite comfortable. It's important to use a level when installing it so that the saddle is at the right angle.

The other $200+ SMP saddles are meant for competitive riders.

As it takes time for your body to get used to this saddle (it took me a few weeks!), it's best if you can borrow a test saddle from a bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   Dolev-Har Yaaleh