Selle Italia XO Saddle

3.16/5 (38 Reviews)
Weight : 215 grams

Featuring a special shape suitable for any type of bicycle, the XO has a low profile and wider seating area. Using the time proven Flex Control padding and differentiated thickness shell design, the XO offers comfort in critical areas.

Submitted by Rolf Sindoe a Cross Country Rider from Kyringe, Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort and price

Weaknesses:    A little shorter than normally I prefer. Not the flashiest SI saddle for your Uber-bike.

Bottom Line:
A very good saddle, even though it's a little short. _A lot_ better comfort than what you expect, judging from the length. Good looks, surprisingly good ergonomics, cheap and relatively light.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:    ebay

Similar Products Used:   Too many to mention :-(

Bike Setup:   58 cm. frame. Musing Crozz cross bike w. Shi. gears and 700X1.8 tires

Submitted by Ben Rawlinson a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, rigid, and yeah, I'm not much for flash on my bike, but the stitch and style attracted me to it.

Weaknesses:    This is a racing saddle, nothing more. The gel simply does nothing, I'm writing this review in hopes that those who recognize the truth behind it will prosper and those don't might have a racer's ride, but will never reproduce. I wouldn't be surprised if saddles like tis are the reason Lance lost a ball.

Bottom Line:
Don not by, unless you want a Darwin award!!!

Favorite Trail:   Snow Valley

Purchased At:   United Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Stock Bontrager, which I replaced and Specialized carbon rail

Bike Setup:   2001 Cannondale F900 Hardtail, maybe that's why my kids always have headaches!

Submitted by a o a Weekend Warrior from toronto

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    e'erything

Bottom Line:
worst saddle ever, gave everybody that has ridden it a rash from the rubbing and where it hits you--thats 8 different people with the same problem!!! cheap saddle that came on old bike was so much better, but i sold it with the bike not thinking that this seat was going to be such crap!!!

It gets one on each for the sole reason that u can't get lower!!! so in my books it gets 0 flammin' chillies!!!

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   cheap saddle on old bike (1000000000 times better)

Bike Setup:   trek 6500 with hayes hfx 9's

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, SK

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    -Very comfortable
-no numbness
-not too bulky, but enough padding so you don't bust your butt

Weaknesses:    -plastic guard underneat cracks easily
-cromo rails flex

Bottom Line:
Basically, I love this saddle. It may not be for everyone, but it's the right one for me. You can't beat the price, and it is super comfy on rough xc trails, or on 250km road rides. When I buy I new bike I pretty much buy this saddle at the same time. (Selle Italia Trans Am XO)

Similar Products Used:   Other Selle italia saddles, Selle San Marco, stock saddles

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro, Specialized Roubaix

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Very comfortable, no numbness ever.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This seat is great. I spent a lot of time looking for a stylish, durable, comfortable seat that doesn't make me numb on the long rides. This seat was perfect. I have the X0 Trans-am model and I couldn't be happier!

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock State Park

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia C2 Genuine Gel (hard)

Bike Setup:   Fetish frame, titec seatpost.

Submitted by Roy langman a Cross Country Rider from Hobart, tasmanaia

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2005

Strengths:    Comfy. light (manganese rails). Cool stitched graphic. wear & grip

Weaknesses:    None yet (perhaps the price initially but the comfort makes it worth the price for me)

Bottom Line:
I wanted a new seat and asked my shop to get me something decent and flat in profile - I don't like seats with scoops or cut outs. They got me this (it was about $120 Aus) I thought ok I will give it a go and loved it from the first ride. So much so that I went out and got another one for my road bike. Saddles are so much a personal thing - this one works for me. Check with the shop that can exchange it for a differnt brand\type if it is no good before you hand over the cash. Obviously of you bend, you mend. I hate those shops that say "its supposed to hurt to start with, you will get used to it" That's total crap. If it hurts on the first ride your butt is trying to tell you something!

Favorite Trail:   anything narrow, fast and tecnhincal

Purchased At:   Treadlies

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Ti SL, Serfas thing with cut out, Giant cut out, Brooks leather, San Marco Rolls (not sure which one)

Bike Setup:   2005, Cannondale F1000 with Hutchinson Python tires & OURY grips. ( and the Selle Italia )

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Strengths:    cheap, light, not uncomfortable

Weaknesses:    Not super durable or comfortable, small size

Bottom Line:
This has been a servicable seat for me but is probably not for everyone. If you are fit and/or young and on a budget it is a good alternative to an expensive seat. The small size is not versatile for cranking away but can work ok on a mtn bike cause you can slide off the back easily on a descent.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Sella Flite Ti

Bike Setup:   S-works hardtail

Submitted by Damien a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Lighter than most cheapo saddles I've used.

Weaknesses:    Low density padding, cover bonded to chassis maybe prone to splitting and tearing.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 04 XO (not the Trans Am model).

Since I'll often spend more time in the saddle of my commuter bike, I decided to spring for a new saddle, and now I can see why people pay upwards of a hundred bucks (or more) for a saddle. It takes me a while to get used to a saddle, so I gave this one a good 4 months, and it's not for me.

The weird way the cover is bonded to the frame (it's sort of melted on, like those sandwich bag sealers on tv) didn't seem to work well, it started splitting on the back left side within a couple of days, and after a couple months, it's splitting and tearing in the cutout. Paint on the rails started peeling within a couple of weeks, so I've got rusty rails too. The padding must be pretty low density, because it's getting less and less comfortable as time goes one (vs the stock saddle on my Schwinn Moab, which is cheap, but still comfortable for up to 25 miles at a time after 3 years). It's better than the extra wide saddle that comes with the smoke, but not much. The rails do seem stiff enough though, I feel no squige or excessive flex at a clyde weight (225 in the summer), and this saddle is easily half the weight of the stock saddle. I don't get any numbness however (just discomfort and sitbone pain), even on pretty long rides (~20 km), so maybe the cutout is for me.

Even when bike components seem excessively expensive in Canada (Selle Flite more than $100! That's 25% of the cost of the bike!), I've learned my cheapskate lesson.

Favorite Trail:   Mean streets of Mtl

Purchased At:   Yeti Plein Air

Similar Products Used:   Several stock cheapo saddles, Selle Italia Nitrox

Bike Setup:   Kona smoke, commuter bike.

Submitted by Allan a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    Price, cut-out may work for some people (didn't for me)

Weaknesses:    Didn't solve numbness problem. Maybe too much cushioning for some people.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the XO Trans Am (with the cutout). I bought this saddle in the hopes that it would alleviate the numbness problem with my current saddle (cheap SDG). The XO Trans Am is initially a comfortable saddle with lots of cushioning. I went for a 3 hour ride and it was only marginally better than my current saddle for causing numbness. Other than that there were no pressure points from the saddle. The cutout may work for some people, it just didn't for me. I returned it and will try a Specialized Body Geometry instead.

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco, SDG Comp, others.

Submitted by Digger a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Pressure points in all the wrong places. Was painful on a smooth road during the test ride. If you want one - look on EBAY for mine!

Bottom Line:
Cheap, but not worth the pain.

Favorite Trail:   Dynamite

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   None so painful.

Bike Setup:   Giant hardtail, stock + Shimano 424 SPD's.

Submitted by Rob Brook a Weekend Warrior from Hull, UK

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Looks well cool, looked well made, cost (£25 in shops, approx $40?), weight.

Weaknesses:    Like sitting on a razor blade, the bike (palisades trail 2002) had some upgrades made instore prior to sale, these included bars, bar ends, tyres, discs and said saddle. Whilst the logos in bright white stiching look ace, i am sure it would dirty quickly and look scruffy.

Bottom Line:
I rode the saddle once for about 1.5 hrs (it was my first ride on new bike). Half way through the ride my bum was in agony and I was trying anything to rest it for the remainder of the ride. i am glad I could check the reviews here to make sure I wasn't being soft. It seems saddles are a very personal thing, with some liking the XO. I gave it 3 chillis for value coz if it works for you this is a top saddle for the price.I had to take it back after the 1 ride and swapped it for the originally specced WTB Speed V. This seems much better, but looks less cool and weighs more. review to come.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   Freetown Sports, Hull, UK

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Turbo (9 yrs ago!)

Bike Setup:   Marin Palisades Trail, Magura Julie Discs, TA19 Wheels, Hutchison Scorpion tubeless tyres, Deore groupset.

Submitted by Garth a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    reasonably light, comfortable

Bottom Line:
I have the Transam model and it is very comfortable. I use the saddle on my commuter bike (which I race on occasion too). I do +- 60 km a day on the days that I commute on terrain varying from asphalt to chatter bump single track. The saddle works well and doesn't pinch my trouser furniture. It has enough width to cater for most wide sit-bone individuals.