Selle Italia Trimatic Saddle

2.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Selle Italia Trimatic

Submitted by Erik S a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Good looks, Firm saddle

Weaknesses:    Picky setup

Bottom Line:
I use this saddle on my road bike were it works well. Bear i mind the set up is picky. You should use a seatpost that can make tiny changes in angle and take your time. Take a hex on the first couple of rides. This is FIRM saddle, when done right it is very comfortable. I would not use it on my MTB because it may not take the abuse of crashes as well as my Kevlar SDG. The gel along the center softens the load on important parts yet the fim padding under the leather puts the weight were it should be, on your sit bones. Like all saddles if it fits you ride it.

Favorite Trail:   Any with Dirt or pavement

Purchased At:   Ebay RULES!!

Similar Products Used:   Many from many places

Bike Setup:   Klein Road Bike

Submitted by Chris Matthews a Racer from Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Nice look, black/silver embroidered

Weaknesses:    Feels like it cuts off the blood supply to your 'old man'!

Bottom Line:
Feels like it cuts off the blood supply to your 'old man'!
One of the guys at my local Bike Rack has this saddle and loves it... but the general opinion is the same as my experience... most guys get numbness in your tackle whilst riding on this saddle (my Scott is no problem!) and the sensation of blood rushing back in when you lift yourself off the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone/Wabash

Purchased At:   Came stock on the bike

Similar Products Used:   Scott Performance,

Bike Setup:   Bianci Veloce road/ Scott Tampico mtb.

Submitted by Ralf Gard a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Cheaper than a vasectomy.

Weaknesses:    Pressure on soft tissue instead of sit bones!
No damping whatsoever.
Looks cheap (if you look on the inside the cover is just stapled onto the plastic)
On top of that, i have a yellow saddle and it discolored rapidly, especially in the rain.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this torture device, do yourself a pleasure and spend some more bucks on the cool looking and excellent Flite saddle of Selle Italia. That way you'll still be able to get kids if you want to.

In my humble opinion this saddle is a disgrace and a smudge on the good name of Selle Italia.

I saw this saddle recently in a bike shop and they are selling it now for only 9USD (new saddle!)

I think it is still too much, i would send it to someone if he wanted it but quite frankly i think the stamp outvalues the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   was on the bike

Similar Products Used:   Selle italia Flite (with and without gel)

Bike Setup:   Italian steel

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Strengths:    styling, narrow and easy to maneuver around, light weight.

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable for me(6'3", 225#), needs dropped nose for climbing.

Bottom Line:
i think this saddle would be best for lighter riders or for those looking more for maneuverability and light weight.
it was just too uncomfortable for me on longer rides. one thing that i definitely think should be changed is the nose
of the saddle. it should be padded better and have a downward slope for getting way forward on steep climbs. selle italia makes many different models of saddles and i don't think this is one of their better ones. that could explain the sale prices on them.

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm on(just glad to be riding)

Purchased At:   bikeworld over internet

Similar Products Used:   terry liberator, koobi SI(both very good), selle san marco
new millenium(came stock on my lemond poprad cyclocross bike; worst saddle i ever sat on!).

Bike Setup:   fisher hardtail with thudbuster suspension post.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Good construction. Italian styling.

Weaknesses:    Pressure ridge instead of pressure relief

Bottom Line:
With my other saddles I might return sore after the first few rides of the season, but soon my butt toughened up and there were no worries. I've always wondered why people ride pressure relief saddles (and now I know). This saddle feels fine during a ride, but my boys can't feel anything for hours afterwards. That's not cool. I suppose this might fit some people, but for me there's way too much tapering down at the rear of the saddle (i.e., it's not flat enough). Thus, the first point of contact is between my sit bones instead of on them...ouch! Look for an eBay auction soon.

Similar Products Used:   Velo Crossbow, Selle Italia Trans Am

Bike Setup:   Battaglin, full Daytona 10 spd

Submitted by dave smith from jacksonville florida

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    great looks, good wieght

Weaknesses:    ride on one for three months

Bottom Line:
I had heard all these negative comments about riders complaining about this is the most uncomfortable saddle they had ever used. After a few rides they couldn't even sit down, I laughed and thought who are these guys, ride more often and your butt won't hurt for long rides. I used the saddle and started noticing that I didn't feel right in my middle section, heh, it's the weather of 2001, North Florida has experienced everything from the coldest winter in many, many, years, to now the rainest late spring ever I have lived through and that has been since i was eight years old and I'm no spring chicken. Don't get me wrong you can ride 12 months out of the year and usually the weather allows you to ride at least two to three times a week, no matter what. Anyway, back to the saddle, bottom line if your old lady in pestering ya about getting your tubes tied, I recommend riding on this saddle for two months, riding at least three times a week, you'll know what your in for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   along the river of course

Similar Products Used:   none, thank god

Bike Setup:   bianchi xl mega pro, full dura ace

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Menlo Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Strengths:    Nice looking, light

Weaknesses:    Not ergo/split, too hard and narrow, too expensive

Bottom Line:
This seat is close to giving me black and blue marks. This seat makes me realize why men have "male problems" after riding. Compared to wider split seats, this area has pretty much thrashed certain parts of my anatomy.

Perhaps it fits some people, but not me.

Came stock on my Marin Verona. Wish I would have asked the bike dealer to throw in a different seat when I bought the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Stanford loop

Purchased At:   Bike Connection

Similar Products Used:   Serfas ergo seats

Bike Setup:   Marin Verona, mostly stock, 747 clone pedals

Submitted by Henkman a Cross Country Rider from Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, protective bumpers, suspension?

Weaknesses:    Torture device, Nastiest saddle ever!

Bottom Line:
This saddle doesn't work for me at all.Maybe the gel model is better. I tried it first on a road bike and it really hurt, even in short events. I put it on a mountain bike when the cover on that saddle ripped. It was no better. I couldn't feel any suspension action or any give on the shell or the padding. I used this saddle for as long as I could and then I got a Serfas Cosmos. It made a world of difference.

Favorite Trail:   Wentworth