Selle Italia SLR Saddle

4.04/5 (89 Reviews)
Weight : 135 grams MSRP : $139.50

The Selle Italia SLR line of saddles feature a combination ofThe highest properties of carbon helpingTo makeThese saddles both lightweight and strong. Style: Mens Weights: Carbon Kit: 125 g Gel Flow: 215 gTubularTi: 135 gTubular Vanox: 180 g Width: 135 mm Length:275 mm Rail: Carbon,TI, or Vanox

Submitted by BadHabit a Cross Country Rider from Ill.

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Weaknesses:    Rails might not fit your seatpost.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the SLR Carbonio Kit Flow. I have not yet used this saddle. I bought it to install on a Syntace P6 carbon seatpost, but the rails are 3/64" too far apart for the Syntace clamp--reputed to be one the best designed.

My preliminary research says that carbon rails can't be adjusted (bent) like metal rails.

The saddle is beautiful and so light--and so expensively disappointing.

My advice is to be certain of fit before buying.

My rating will ignore the fit/buyer responsibility issue. This is a beautiful, light and expensive saddle (as expected) that does not deserve to be downgraded because of my inattention.

Purchased At:   wekeepyoucycling.com

Submitted by astrat a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, On., Canada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    Very light, and very comfortably.

Weaknesses:    Only lasts half a season.

Bottom Line:
I work at a shop and get clear-out pricing when it comes to the ugly colour SLR's, if it weren't for the price point, I wouldn't buy them. They are my favourite saddle, but they only last half a season - the leather cover rips almost immediately.

But in terms of comfort and weight, nothing beats an SLR 135g saddle.

Many people ask: how is a saddle like that comfortable? Well, there are two ways to make a comfortable saddle. 1) with a lot of padding and 2) with great flex. The original leather saddles (ie Brooks) relied on flex to be comfortable, and these are revered as the most comfortable saddles on the market. The SLR also relies on flex to be comfortable - the carbon fiber base and Ti rails offer fantastic flex. I f'ing love this saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that flows.

Purchased At:   a shop

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite, Prologo Ti Choice, WTB Rocket V

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept Pro w/ XT
Kona Major One - cyclocross bike

Submitted by thomasjc97 a Cross Country Rider from College Station, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2009

Strengths:    comfortable, light, short break in time, US-made Ti rails

Weaknesses:    a little pricey, leather cover tears easily

Bottom Line:
The saddle is awesome! It may be bit a misleading... most people ask if the saddle hurts and if it gets stuck in places that saddles shouldn't be. But really, it fits perfectly [for me]; I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, medium build, and my sit-bones line up perfectly with the minimal padding (the Ti rails really help absorb a lot of shock).

I was skeptical at first, but was looking for the perfect blend of comfort, light weight, and affordability. The saddle has worked very well whether I'm on my daily 18 mile commute or in a recent 75km race (all off road).

The only draw back that I have is the leather ripped pretty easily during a crash on the pavement that I had. Hey, it was my fault and indestructibility was not one of the features that I was looking for. A little glue sealed it up nicely and the saddle still performs.

The SLR is an outstanding saddle and I recommend at least giving it a test drive.

Favorite Trail:   Rio Pinto (La Cumbre, Argentina

Similar Products Used:   San Marco, WTB

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 3000, Noir 3.3 crank, SRAM XO/X9, Mavix Crossmax ST, Fox F-Series, Thomson seatpost/X4 stem, CrankBros Eggbeater SL, Schwalbe Racing Ralph (offroad)/Conti Grand Prix (road), Easton EC70 bar

Submitted by funrunner99 a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable
Light weight

Weaknesses:    TI rail broke

Bottom Line:
Have this on my MTB bike, ride mostly cross country, weigh 200 lbs, really liked this saddle. Selle makes the best saddles out there, been riding on them for almost 20 years. Used to be a 200+ mile a week road racer, now just keeping in shape and racing my MTB a little. Extremely comfortable saddle but 9 or 10 months in one of the rails broke at the back of the clamp. Slid it forward a 1/4" and rode it for another 3-4 months but it's falling apart now. I am usually pretty easy on equipment and get a lot of use out of stuff so I can see understand this complaint popping up a lot. Anyhow just bought a Selle Italia SLR XC Vanox rail one, sounds like the rails are supposed to hold up better and they are meant for MTB so I will give it a try. If your lighter or on a road bike I would recommend it for sure. Gave it 3 on the value rating since they are a little pricey and it broke but still have to give it a 5 on the overall cause it was the best, most comfortable saddle I have ever had until it broke.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Ti Flite Gel

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caffeine 29er MTB, SRAM grip shifters & derailers, XTR cranks, Eggbeater pedals, Stan's NoTubes, lots of light parts, 23 lbs.
Merlin Titanium road bike, Dura Ace 9 speed grupo, Spinergy wheels, Selle Italia Ti Flite Gel saddle, Continental tires, lots of light stuff, sub 19 lbs.

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, California USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, looks sleek, high resale value.

Weaknesses:    None...and I am a huge weight weenie!

Bottom Line:
I have tried ALL high-end saddles, and has concluded the SLR is the BEST minimalist saddle around. However, this saddle is intended for ROAD USE ONLY. One crash and this saddle gets shredded easily. Don't expect Selle Italia to cover you, if ridden off-road. The key is try not to crash...which is almost impossible, in MTB.

My advice...get this saddle USED. Paying full retail is like buying a new car at a dealership- it drops in value by 30% the moment it leaves the lot. You won't find another lighytweight, comfy saddle around!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park(24 Hours Adrenalin Course)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Gobi XM; Specialized Phenom SL; Selle San Marco ASPide; WTB Rocket V; AX Lightness; M2 Racer; Tune Speedneedle(the UGLIEST, most uncomfortable saddle on earth); Token Carbon

Bike Setup:   19-pound Cannondale XC race hardtail: SRAM X0/Shimano XTR; Mavic Crossmax SLR; Ritchey WCS Carbon; Thomson Masterpiece; Crank Brothers 4ti pedals; King Cage Titanium; Continental Race King

Submitted by armrod a Weekend Warrior from Fort Lauderdale,Fl., USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight. Nice ergonomic design.

Weaknesses:    Flims rails. Expensive.Not particularly comfortable.

Bottom Line:
One of the rails broke in half after 7 months of riding.... in Florida of all places! Either I need to lose weight (well I do sort of) or these rails need to be made stronger for the price you pay. Definitely not worth the price!

Purchased At:   BikeSomeWhere

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with suspension seatpost.

Submitted by ex a Cross Country Rider from california

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    nothing because it breaks and you cant use it.

Weaknesses:    Extremely weak. The carbon piece that holds the nose of the titanium rails breaks. I only weigh 150 lbs. Warranty is useless, person who works there does not care about anything. Sounds like he used to be in sales and wants you to buy another one. Useless.

Bottom Line:
I was going uphill! and the pressure from me pushing on the saddle caused the front carbon piece that holds the front of the rails to snap! I cant believe it broke. They said that I had put too much pressure on it when I called them after mailing it to their warranty department. They wouldnt help me. I wont ever buy another selle product with a warranty department like this, there's too many other good companies out there making saddles.

Similar Products Used:   wtb, tioga, specialized

Bike Setup:   light bike.

Submitted by Vlad a Cross Country Rider from Romania

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, flexible

Bottom Line:
I am a cross country racer and this is the best saddle I've ever had. It's light, comfortable and I like it a lot ... If you are searching for these 2 components for a saddle you must have one.

I had use it for road training and also for off road training.

Another thing to notice: please use a cycling bib for it. For the city use is kinda crappy (with jeans or other pants)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Ritchey, Velo

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Taurine Team

Submitted by Caley Fretz a Racer from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    weight, good flex, no slip leather cover.

Weaknesses:    soft cover is not too durable, but what do you expect from a seat designed for road use? Just don't crash too much.

Bottom Line:
If it fits your butt, its one of the most comfortable saddles out there. If you can try before you buy, go for it. Saddles are very personal. Seems that those with skinny hips fit this saddle best, based on teammates/friends who ride it and like it.

Favorite Trail:   Pines

Similar Products Used:   Fizik nisene, aliante and arione
SLR xc

Bike Setup:   Orbea alma, x.0, sid, etc

Submitted by Kenny Knockaert a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Light (97gr)

Weaknesses:    Some would find it hard (I don't)

Bottom Line:
Best saddle ever. It is light, strong and I find it confty aswell. It made a cracking sound for a while but ive salved that with a little grease in the rail assembly pionts. Never came back

Purchased At:   fashion4cycling

Similar Products Used:   multiple selle italia and san marco models

Bike Setup:   Endorfin speed-r with Rohloff speedhub and German-a front suspention

Submitted by Atom Eyes a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington DE US

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    SLR XP light, sleek - easy on and off the back, stiff, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    none I can find

Bottom Line:
many xc miles, many wrecks, still looks and performs like new. A comfy saddle that improved my control of the bike.