Selle Italia Oktavia Saddle

3.44/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 240 grams MSRP : $60.00

OKTAVIA is an innovative saddle featuring elastomer technology developed by SELLE ITALIA. The rear “wing” suspension system included in the design of the saddle base ensures outstanding comfort. The elastomer laminated to the nylon base cushions the rider effectively and reduces road vibrations.

Submitted by Rob Culler a Cross Country Rider from kVEGAS

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Strengths:    very light and easy to move around on.works very well with my set up.easy to break in and comfortable

Weaknesses:    starting to come apart around edges and creaks a little

Bottom Line:
Love this seat! It really wroks for me.I am a very large guy and this seat really works for me in more ways than I can explain.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   selle italia flite,specailized BG

Bike Setup:   on a cross-country mountain bike

Submitted by Gregg a Cross Country Rider from Huron twp MI

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2005

Strengths:    Light, can move around on and looks kool

Weaknesses:    To hard, hope it breaks in or you can buy it soon on ebay

Bottom Line:
If you have a hard but and want a light decent priced seat, buy it, you probably will be able to buy this one from me on ebay soon.

Favorite Trail:   mayberry, northville mi

Similar Products Used:   sella carbon 4,
a little heavy but very compfortible should have kept it

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 80 and Klien quantum

Submitted by Troy a Racer from Roy, Ut

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, looks cool

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have kevlar corners

Bottom Line:
A pretty comfy seat, however, doesn't have the kevlar corners that make a seat last a little longer, like when you have to flip your bike upside down to take off your front wheel or do any other quick maintenance. It just seems a little fragile for any hard core or trail riding because it has too much thread along the rear of the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Wheeler Creek

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FS2000

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, XT drivetrain, Avid mech's

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Beowawe

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Hard, not ergonomic for me personally

Bottom Line:
This seat is okay for it's price range and is pretty light, but just doesn't sit well for me personally. It looks a lot better than it feels. I give it higher marks on value than overall. I'd look elsewhere if you can afford it.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Submitted by Jakub from beatown, ma

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Strengths:    quality build and durable
good price

Weaknesses:    creaks a bit

Bottom Line:
got it at a shop at the base of l'alpe duez. felt great after breaking it in. i'm now on my third seat.

great durable construction and fits my butt great.

as for the creaking? sand or cut off the paint on the rails, wrap them in teflon tape. no more creaking.

Purchased At:   l'alpe duez

Similar Products Used:   wtb with the goofy birds beak nose

Bike Setup:   old school pre-headshok cannondale m900
caad 5 cannondale road

Submitted by nash a Weekend Warrior from newport news

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Strengths:    comfortable, hard but soft where you need it, a sweet, current looking seat, light, solid, gives when you need it, easy to find on the trail

Bottom Line:
i love this seat, it looks really nice and expensive, comfortable where you need it, i use it for trail riding and the mud and dust do not hurt the covering. it's an awesome seat. it feels hard at first but after a week it loosened up some and has a nice solid feel to let me put the power to the ground. my favorite piece on my bike.

Purchased At:   jenson

Bike Setup:   98 rockhopper, deore mix, kore, selle italle, STX, panaracer, cane creek

Submitted by Aantiix a Weekend Warrior from St. Cloud, MN

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, flexes just enough, firm yet very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Not much room for seat bag.

Bottom Line:
I use the Lady version of this seat and this is by far the most comfortable seat I have tried. At first if feels a bit stiff but once you are on the seat... very comfortable for both short and long rides. The Selle plastic tags are on the edge of the seat and I'm told that the butt bones of people with wider pelvis' actually sit on those tags making it uncomfortable for them. If you have a smaller pelvis this is definatly a seat to checkout.

Purchased At:   GreenfishSports.com

Submitted by Goggles McDougal a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort, Lighter weight, gel padding, looks

Weaknesses:    I've had a problems with keeping a "Trek Minipack 45" on the rails (the quick-release bracket kept popping off, along with the saddlepack, during aggressive XC riding).

Bottom Line:
This saddle has been comfortable for me. Mostly because I forget about it when I ride. I like the shock absorbing frame. I guess the gel padding does work. I have had problems in the past with Specialized saddles (numbness) but this saddle has not posed any similar problems.

Purchased At:   BikesMart

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Specialized

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized S-Works FSR

Submitted by Adam W. a Weekend Warrior from College Park, MD

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Strengths:    Light, flexy enough for me, looks sweet, slightly raised where the sitbones sit

Weaknesses:    Too much padding in the center, forward of where contact should actually be taking place (my same gripe with the Flite)

Bottom Line:
I wasn't going to review my saddle, b'cuz hey, different strokes for different folks, y'know? But this thing was getting torn to shreds by reviewers and I didn't happen to agree, so I'm gonna try to up the rating to get it noticed. Can't hurt to try it; like the dude below says, find a shop that has one and get 'em to put it on a bike that you test-ride before you shell out the $$$s to own this thing. That, or find a shop that'll let you exchange saddles until you find something that agrees with you. I figured it would be close to the Prolink I've got on my road bike, and I was right. It happens to agree with me. Try it, you might like it. (oh, and not to specifically slag anyone on the boards, but anyone dumb enough to order a saddle mail-order without having tried it first deserves what they get. that's what an LBS is FOR, yo.)

Similar Products Used:   Prolink genuine gel (road bike), titec berserker (freeride bike), I used a wtb saddle before this on my xc rig and it was fine but way too heavy

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Grizzly, XT, king, 'zocchi, thomson

Submitted by Bazza a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good, might be good for some people because (to view it) it seems ok. Has elastomer majobbies underneath & genuinely does flex, got those genuine-gel patches which are supposed to be good too, and feels quite well padded to touch.

Weaknesses:    All the above fooled me into buying it, my sit bones make a solid connection with somewhere through the padding and I found the only way to ride it was to have it pointed down quite a lot. (This is on my road bike by the way). Even then I get numb and it feels like the power is zapped out of me.

Bottom Line:
If u possibly can, try a bike with one - I knew within seconds of fitting it (rails are too scratched then to return the thing) 6months later I still put up with it because I couldn't afford another after just building up my bike.
Getting an SLR soon because they have extremely good reviews & even if not as comfortable for me, at least I'll still have something great for short races/hill climbs.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Bassano Vuelta Italy something (15000 miles, still comfy, though it is ripped to bits now). Cheap Nitrox saddle. Selle Italia Flite Titanium. Rolls.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR, Ksyrium wheels, Record/Chorus groupset, Carbon stem, carbon aero post, Keywin pedals, Prima 199 bars, Michelin Pro Race.

Submitted by Joseph from Al

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    Makes me numb. Looks ugly. SQUEEKS! Not durable

Bottom Line:
This seat looked cool in the shop felt light but it also felt like a piece of wood(I thought that i would break it in). IT SUCKS! DONT BUY THIS SEAT!Unless you love squeeky sounds and hate your balls and dont plan on keeping it less than six months!

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn.

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Nisene, Specialized Body geometry Comp, Koobi AU Chrono, and this POS!

Bike Setup:   FIZIK NISENE Ti(now),King headset, Manitou Skareb Super, Mavic Crosroc, Thomson seatpost & stem, other cool stuff.

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, Al.

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, flexibility

Weaknesses:    stiffness

Bottom Line:
I like this seat alot. It is a bit stiffer than most seats at first but after you break it in it really softens up. The wing suspension thing in the rear really does a good job at smoothing out the sharpness of the bumps. I have really enjoyed this seat.

If you are looking for the Lazy Boy of seats this is not it. If you are looking for a light weight, quality seat, look no further.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Submitted by Bo Tosor a Weekend Warrior from Maui

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Strengths:    looks stylie, quality construction

Weaknesses:    My butt says "ouch" when I sit on it.

Bottom Line:
Ouch. This seat looks cool but is really hard. I bought it because of its claims as a suspension wing design. Yeah right. Maybe it flexes and dampens vibration as it claims but my okole doesnt think so. If it wasnt so expensive, I would have tossed it. It does look nice but my butt doesnt care what it looks like.

Favorite Trail:   fujoka loop