Selle Italia Nitrox Saddle

3.21/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : 200 grams

This saddle features a decidedly aggressive look that is also extremely lightweight! The “Flex Control“ padding has been selectively proportioned in varying thickness to fit the demand of the aggressive cyclist.

Submitted by rcousine a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly cheap, comfortable for me, pretty tough.

Weaknesses:    Saddle cover eventually wears out, only fits some people, probably only good for XC.

Bottom Line:
Saddles are incredibly personal: a friend has tried this same saddle, and cannot ride it. It's the most comfortable saddle I've tried, and I bought every one I could find locally (I have about five).

This probably is a cross-country-only saddle for MTBers, but I use it for road racing and cyclocross. It works fabulously well FOR ME, and since I paid about $5 on average for each of the saddles I bought, it gets the maximum value rating.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, though: with the nice narrow profile, this may be the best saddle ever made for slipping off the back of your bike for steep descents.

Why only 4 Chilis Overall? Well, it fits _me_; it may or may not fit you. Second, the durability of the cover is only so-so. I do ride my stuff into the ground, but I wish the cover was less prone to ripping and pulling away from its staples.

But I'd buy this saddle again and again. If I ever see another one for sale, I'll buy it. If you have one, please sell it to me :).

Favorite Trail:   Nicole's Trail

Purchased At:   various local bike s

Similar Products Used:   Avocet R1, many others

Bike Setup:   XC/Road/CX/touring bikes

Submitted by George Tucker a Cross Country Rider from Oak Harbor, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    Nice Look

Weaknesses:    Painfully hard. Severe numbness. Did I mention it's PAINFULLY HARD.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad saddle if you don't intend to sit on it. It's very hard and after a short time, the numbness kicks in. No matter how many different ways I've tried to set this thing up, it has always been the same end result. Painful.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Deans Sports Plus

Similar Products Used:   Hopefully none.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Zetec DBR. XT drivetrain, Marzocci Bomber Z4, ProMax 600 Disc brakes, formula hubs, Kloski bar/stem

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    * Pinches.
* Causes alternating bouts of numbness and pain.
* Poor durability.
* Poor adjustability.
* Surprisingly heavy weight, given its plasticky hardness.
* Finish/logo wears off (maybe they don't want us to know whom to blame?).
* Stupid name.

Bottom Line:
I'm only 145 pounds; there's no way a lightweight like me should be able to put enough pressure on a saddle to pinch my "goodies." And yet it happens after an astonishingly short time in the saddle.

This saddle came with the bike, and I tried to give it a fair shake. But it's coming off and joining the kitty litter in my trash can soon. On second thought, that's too good a fate for it.

Do yourself a favor: glue some thumbtacks to a sawed-off piece of two-by-four, and wrap some sandpaper around it. You could hardly do worse than Selle Italia did on this saddle!

Purchased At:   Community Cycling Center

Bike Setup:   Vintage Nishiki road bike.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Greece

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Light Weight, design, price

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable, very hard

Bottom Line:
Light XC saddle but can be used tops 2 hours ride, after that it feels hard as a rock and uncomfortable.

Submitted by Erez from Finland

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Strengths:    light weight, cool design, low price

Weaknesses:    too hard

Bottom Line:
i bought this saddle to replace the very old selle italia saddle i had on my old bianchi. this saddle is not too bad, however if im biking more then 60 km its starting to get painfull in the perineal area. if you want saddle that looks cool for short rides - this is the one for you. if you like long rides - stay away from this one and invest in a better model of selle italia or fizik.

Purchased At:   sport shop in hungary

Bike Setup:   bianchi road bike

Submitted by larry a Cross Country Rider from chicago

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2005

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    hardest most uncomfortable seat ever. you had better have your own buildt in asspad or you will be very sore

Bottom Line:
this thing is a brick. from the department store cheapies all the way up to eventually getting the eli i never had a seat that gave consistent sore ass like this one. i tried it for a month and it never got any better. threw it in the garbage because i wouid not sell this to an enemy.

Favorite Trail:   gravity cavity(palos)

Bike Setup:   tomac eli stoch except for the saddle

Submitted by michael a Racer from austin, tx

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    clean looking

Weaknesses:    hard as a brick

Bottom Line:
This thing is so incredibly hard. Granted, I use it for road biking, but I couldn't imagine using it in any context and it not hurting your butt like crazy.

Favorite Trail:   360

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of seats

Bike Setup:   orbea road bike

Submitted by mike a Downhiller from ontario canada

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    very light weight, slim, nice rails, cheap

Weaknesses:    hard for freeriding

Bottom Line:
if you need a saddle to lightn up your heavy bike, put on one of these bad boys

Similar Products Used:   WTB, funn

Bike Setup:   04 stinky

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2004

Strengths:    light weight, narrow rear, flexy base, gel strip

Weaknesses:    too-narrow nose, a bit wide at the rear

Bottom Line:
I love this saddle. It took a little bit of breaking in, but it was worth it. On really intense trails I'd probably swap it out for my Bonty FS 2000 which has a lot more cushioning and shock absorption, but I swear the Bonty is a noticeable half-pound heavier.

The rear of the saddle is good and narrow for getting off the back on descents, but I've got about the narrowest hips known to man, and it's still a bit wide. The only saddle I've ever used that fit me perfectly was the '99 Bonty FS, but that bike was stolen. Basically, the smaller your butt is, the better this saddle will work for you. And the gel strip definitely makes a difference on long, steep climbs. It's the second-best saddle I've ever had.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   '99 Bontrager FS, '02 Bontrager FS 2000, Bontrager C-20, Airborne ti

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Will cause prostate nerve damage

Bottom Line:
I'm a big rider at 275lbs., which means that I use my rig mainly for agressive leg training a'la climbing and sprints. I bought the nitrox gel version not knowing what an agressive saddle it really is. If there is actually any gel down there, it doesn't even make a difference at my weight. This is quite possibly the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on - worse even than the famously bad Koski Engineering saddle that came stock with my Xtacy. It seriously feels like I am being impaled by Vlad Draculea himself. Now I know some 14 year old, 110lb rider who doesn't even shave yet is going to flame me, but I wouldn't buy this saddle unless your riding style is to never sit down.

Purchased At:   Some ebay auction

Similar Products Used:   Titec Berserkr, Koski (Giant XTC stock)

Bike Setup:   XTC SE2 first, Now Raven 700XL

Submitted by David Sousa a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon, Portugal

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2003

Strengths:    Good looking, light, comfortable

Weaknesses:    none that i know

Bottom Line:
I'm sure that this is not the most comfortable saddle, but for the price i'm sure that you'll not be able to find a better, lighter and comfortable saddle. And it is Selle Italia!! I'll give it 5 chilis because i think the actual rate does not correspond to the product quality. I recomend it for those who cannot buy a Selle Italia FLite Gel or something like that...

Purchased At:   25

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX Team

Submitted by Hendra Widjaja a Cross Country Rider from Kuta, Bali, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Well known brand:) inserted del, I use Nitrox Genuine Gel, made from leather, Mn rails, agessive design, good for poser (lots of bright color embroidery, I purchase the blue black combo, cause they don't have the black one). Very light.

Weaknesses:    Agressive to my butt:( very narrow design...

Bottom Line:
I know saddles is a very personal thing, but I don't really like my Nitrox, I'd probably chenge it back to my cheap Selle Italia SPX.
Maybe it's my fault for not using cycling pant???

Favorite Trail:   Jimbaran, Bali

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Bali

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia SPX, and some another crap.

Bike Setup:   Da Bomb Cerry Bomb, full XT components, including XT hydros.

Submitted by Abe Callejo a Cross Country Rider from Mazcuerras, Cantabria, Spain

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    light and a cool look (black and silver)

Weaknesses:    a bit hard

Bottom Line:
it takes time to get used to this saddle but after two or three rides you began to enjoy it

Favorite Trail:   Alto de Fuentes