Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am Saddle

4.03/5 (138 Reviews)

Selle Italia Max Flight Trans Am

Submitted by mistermoto a Cross Country Rider from arizona

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    Comfy, tough through alot of abuse

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I was given this saddle 2+ years ago from a buddy who got it on his Maverick. He hated it and so I thought I'd give it a go. I wasn't sure for the first week or so, (coulda been that I was out of shape and my azz hadn't seen a saddle in months too). After the first week it got better, and better.
It has held up great, no peeling, no tears, it just works.

I like it so well I just bought another for my roadie. Granted, i'm not a little guy either, 5'11 and 215#, but hey I like it.

Similar Products Used:   Titec Bersker, SDG, FSA, WTB

Bike Setup:   SS

Submitted by Harry a Weekend Warrior from Avon, CT

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    Durable and comfortable (once you break it in)

Weaknesses:    Heavy for a saddle

Bottom Line:
From the age of 45 to about 50, my saddle problems began. Before 45, I use to ride a very slender racing saddle. I bought one of these saddles about 4-5 years ago, and it took me about 6 months to really break it in. Once it was broken in, I liked it, and used it for long rides. I would go back-and-forth from this saddle to my old racing saddle until one day I developed prostate problems -- that was then end of the "slim racing saddle days". I now totally use this saddle on all three bikes. I also tilt the tip a little down so that it forces me to use my "butt bones" instead of putting pressure on the prostate. The saddle has lasted a long time, doesn't squeek, and absorbs moisture well on those hot summer days.

Similar Products Used:   cheap saddles that come with new bikes

Bike Setup:   Pinerello "work horse" steel frame
Look KG 381 (carbon)
Specialized StumpJumper (hardtail)

Submitted by Clark Shaffer a Racer from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    Design. The center cut out was a superb innovation. It may be common, but I'd never seen it before. It allows me to rotate my pelvic bone down and engage my legs while taking the strain off my low back. Other "solid" saddles were so hard that after 30 minutes to an hour I started to go numb. Padding along the sides conforms well.

Weaknesses:    The "flare" at the saddle tip or nose catches the seam on shorts or bib from time to time. I ride with my knees angled in, so when I get out of the saddle to climb, I have to bow my left of right leg to clear the saddle.

Bottom Line:
I used this saddle for 3 years and almost cried when I crashed last year and broke seat off. the Titanium Gel Flow model was recommended and did "okay" however it never gave me the feeling Max Flite.

Purchased At:   Cycle Spectrum

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite Titanium Gel Flow saddle

Bike Setup:   -Van Tuyl Carbon Stays with Reynolds Ouzo Pro Fork.
-Frame 3 AL 2,5.
-Titanium lugs with special profile top and down tubes.
-Italian bottom bracket.
-Seatpost 27.2 mm.v
-1 1/8" Ahead system.
-Carbon monostay seat and schain stays.
-Mayento 49 center/ 63 center in 2 cm stapen
-Weight frame: 1200 gr.

Submitted by Ethan a Cross Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    Very well made seat, great rails, looked very cool on the bike.

Weaknesses:    Super firm and a bit too wide at the rear, kept on rubbing on my inner thighs and the firmness just killed the whole experience after 30 minutes or so.

Bottom Line:
Great quality seat if you have plenty of padding on your rear end and quite wide at the waist line, otherwise if you have a boney narrow ass as I do, look for something a bit softer and a bit more narrow. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood Park

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Selle italia XO, Bontrager FS2000

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra with nice upgrades, Trek STP200 with light upgrades.

Submitted by Cochise a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, holds up well, comfortable. It doesn't squeak, I don't know how you could make it squeak unless you have a crappy seatpost mount. I've had a few saddles over the years and I'm pretty happy with this one. As with all saddles, it takes a while for it to break in and your butt to get used to it. It's funny to hear people talking about how their butt is fine for the first 30 mins but then hurts after that. Anytime you go to a new saddle, the saddle has to break in and your butt has to get used to how it fits. The test for me is after I've ridden on it for about 150 miles and it's broken in, how does it feel when I'm in the saddle for 3 or more hours. This saddle feels great. It is well padded and eventually conforms to your butt.

Bottom Line:
Saddles are a pretty personal thing and everyone rides differently. The saddle before this one was a Bonetrager and it was very uncomfortable to me so I only had it for a short while. This saddle was immediately more comfortable, but took a bit to break in before it became really comfortable to be in over 3 hours. Now, I don't even think about it and that's the way it should be. I've had this saddle a couple of years and can't really think of using anything else. Since this is the best saddle I've had and anything less than $200 is cheap to me considering what parts of your body are involved here, I'm giving it 5 out of 5.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere theres dirt

Similar Products Used:   a lot of other saddles

Bike Setup:   yeah that

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from oregon

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    comfortable

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
I found the saddle comfortable but I ride a lot so I lean towards harder saddles.
Leather peeled on my first saddle after 1yr. Purchased another one and leather peeled on this saddle after 8 months. Talked to the people at colorado cyclists and they said they've had problems with the Selle Italia saddles and they will not warranty the peeling.
Lot of money to pay for a 1yr saddle.

Purchased At:   colorado cyclists

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, California

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Good comfort, great durability, flexible shell, moderate weight for a comfy saddle

Weaknesses:    Can get squeaky at the pivoting rail mounts

Bottom Line:
This saddle has held up to 3,000 miles and still feels & looks good. I find my comfort on it relates to my fitness level. When I'm at top form, centuries go by with ease. When I'm carrying extra pounds, its not so great. I think this means the saddle does its job when I do. The only drawback I find is that it can squeak where the frame rails pivot in their mounts. I hit each location with silicone spray and the noise disappears for months. Good saddle.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST's, old Specialized, Bontragers, Flite Ti

Bike Setup:   My road saddle

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Newtown,PA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    Comfortable; Relatively light (for the cush); tough construction

Bottom Line:
This saddle is the best I've ever ridden (8+ years of hardcore riding). I switched over about 3 years ago from a Specialized Body Geometry that was comfortable but falling apart. This seat is comfortable and extremely durable. I even bought a second one a year ago so I'd have one for both my hardtail and full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   S. Pisgah

Purchased At:   PricePoint or Jensen

Similar Products Used:   WTB; Specialized BG; Selle San Marcos

Bike Setup:   '04 Jekyll with various retro-fitted parts.

Submitted by angus henry a Racer from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    The saddle felt hard from the get go and would not soften. Painfull and irritating are two words used to describe it. Took it back to the store and swapped for another.

Bottom Line:
Test it before you ride it on an epic, if it doesn't feel good in the first few days I bet it won't ever.

Favorite Trail:   gatineaus

Purchased At:   mountain equipement co-op

Similar Products Used:   everything by Selle Italia, loved the TurboMatic3

Bike Setup:   TCR Zero, full ultegra

Submitted by tmo a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Quality construction.

Bottom Line:
I had this saddle on my mountain bike for 9 months and, while I generally found it comfortable, I felt that it was slightly more difficult to slide around than other saddles that I have used. In other words, dropping back on downhills etc. Perhaps it is a bit too wide for that purpose (when matched with my ass). A few months ago, I put it on my road bike. I find it phenomenal for that purpose. Bottom line, I find it a better road saddle than mtb saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   Pricepoint (I think)

Submitted by Devin a Weekend Warrior from UTAH

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    I like this saddle at first ride or two. But the more I rode it the more it caused me tailbone pain. Riding on the road up to the trailhead became agonizing. I was riding 2 to 3 times a week and had to cut down to just once per week to cut down on the pain. It got so bad after one long ride that I had to sit on the side of my arse and occasionally switch from cheek to cheek while driving. A friend has this same saddle and loves it, but I am selling mine on ebay. I weigh about 220 lbs. so maybe that has something to do with it. So while my broken arm is healing I am pondering what its replacement will be. Never had a problem like this on other saddle I have had.

Weaknesses:    Makes my tailbone cry

Bottom Line:
My arse must be a mutant because I don't see too many people writing about this much pain. I love Selle Italia saddles in general, but HATE this one.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Selle italia flite, wtb, to many to list

Bike Setup:   saddle was on a 2003 ellsworth id, is now going on a custom curtlo steel hardtail or it is going in the trashcan

Submitted by Jason Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    Well contructed, good leather, nice length

Weaknesses:    It kills me to even looks at the thing, very uncomfortable,

Bottom Line:
I am a bigger guy and I have never gotten use to this saddle. After being on the bike for over an hour i almost can't take the pain anymore. If you weight a 150 pounds may be great for you. I have moved seat up down back and forth and never comfortable. I will say though the construction is good. I just can't see you anyone who rides distance offroad cant stand this saddle

Favorite Trail:   Gnaw Bone

Purchased At:   Online Store

Bike Setup:   Full Suspension

Submitted by gaaaaa a Cross Country Rider from melb, aus

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    it's light

Bottom Line:
ahhhhh! it hurts! it hurts! sometimes i wonder if they really made the base out of nylon.

i'm pretty light at 55kg, and it's the worst when i'm actually just sitting, cruising down an asphalt hill...oh the pain.

yes what i have IS a selle italia, it IS a trans am, and it IS a flite. there aren't much around that look like it.

i got it cheap 2nd hand, so i'm happy to let it go
but do try it first before u consider it (hefty price tag)...and try it well!

Purchased At:   $40