Selle Italia Flite Saddle

4.36/5 (255 Reviews)

The legendary Selle Italia Flite saddle, one of the most beloved saddle platforms of all time. Flite is one of our classic saddles, now restyled with surprising results. The Flite is a mix of light weight, exceptional comfort and performance design.

Submitted by dru a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2012

Strengths:    This review is for the reissued 1990 version with Ti rails. Comfortable from the 1st minute it hit my butt. All leather, no plastic, embossing or any other stuff sticking up to cause unwanted friction.

Weaknesses:    I wish it was as light as my Selle Italia SLR

Bottom Line:
It's a nice saddle. The profile from side to side I'd describe as rounded. Nose to back the profile is essentially flat. Ti rails are very deep, perhaps these will give some bump absorption? All leather.

Favorite Trail:   many

Duration Product Used:   1 day

Purchased At:   U.K.

Similar Products Used:   As for fit I've owned/own a S.I. Slr, Avocet o2, Fizik Arione (agony), Specialized, and the Flite is by far the most comfortable.

Bike Setup:   I have some nice bikes

Submitted by icemonkey a Cross Country Rider from Eagle

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, comfort

Weaknesses:    Comfort - You have to break it in. The first month is hell.

Bottom Line:
Superb saddle, the most comfortable I have owned after it was broken in. It feels like you have so much real estate under your butt, the ability to move around the saddle to get a good position, clamp the nose between your legs and ride in comfort. Mine has died after about 12 years, the leather just couldnt take being so battered. LOVE EM.

Favorite Trail:   Abrahms Ridge

Purchased At:   Psycho bikes (London

Similar Products Used:   Lots and lots

Bike Setup:   Kona Lavadome (1997) full xt/xtr, Marzocchi xc600 singlespeed (today)

Submitted by Gregg K a Cross Country Rider from Mendocino, CA, US

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this seat in 1988. I remember it as being one of the first things I could buy for a mountain bike that had titanium. I rode on it until 2001. Here it is 2010, and I've put it back on my bike (Ibis Mojo). I couldn't find a better saddle. Then to my surprise I discovered they're making the original Flite again.

It just seemed odd that I'd be riding the seat I bought 21 years ago. Talk about nostalgia. My friend worked in Cambria at the bike shop when it was just a hole in a wall. Good times. And now I can ride without a sore arse again.

Purchased At:   Cambria. The origina

Similar Products Used:   A WTB saddle. Selle Italia Max Flite $120 saddle (ouch).

Submitted by Jacko82 a Cross Country Rider from York

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Strengths:    Very light weight saddle, well designed and looks the dogs b's........

Weaknesses:    Take's a while to bed in........pampers recommended!

Bottom Line:
Got my first Flite Ti saddle in the early 90's and i have had 2 since then. Brilliant saddle! They last ages and i hammer off road all over the place. The only downer is that they take a few good rides to bed in properly. Overall i highly recommended this saddle!

Favorite Trail:   Dolby Forest, Lakes rides

Purchased At:   Too long ago to reme

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Turbo

Bike Setup:   Orange patriot, XTR, XT, SLX, Juicy Ultimate F/R,

Submitted by mrmut a Cross Country Rider from Dubo Selo, Croatia

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    It is a saddle.

Weaknesses:    It hurts.

Bottom Line:
It don't like this saddle. Had it for a year and we've never got into a nice relationship. It hurts.

I've tried many more and stopped with Selle Italia SLK.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Similar Products Used:   Many others.

Bike Setup:   Woodoo Wanga / FOX / etc.

Submitted by Marco a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Light, looks good, and comfortable for such a minimal saddle.

Weaknesses:    Pointy end sometimes a pain on steep uphill climbs.

Bottom Line:
I got this seat for almost nothing (from the manufacturer) at a European bike show back in the early '90s. It was painted gold with red lettering on the front. Certainly not as comfortable as a broken-in Brooks, it was pretty comfortable for a minimalist saddle; I rode it hard for 3-4 years until it was completely worn out.

Purchased At:   Almost nothing at bike trade show

Similar Products Used:   Dozens of bike seats

Bike Setup:   Mountain

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Weaknesses:    Redesigned for 2007. It is not the same saddle at all. Paper-thin leather covering wore through along the back edge after 3 rides negotiating simple (XC) drops on the North Shore. And this is wearing lycra not cordura. Selle Italia actually claims the saddle is worthy of freeriding what a joke.

Bottom Line:
Don't even think about it if you ride off road.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Previous flite it was fine actually got 2 years out of it before it blew apart.

Bike Setup:   Blur, Fox, Raceface, XT XC setup

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Dearborn, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    The Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel saddle was fairly comfortable for its first season in use. It has Titanium rails which make it strong and fairly light. It's an affordable saddle that is available in many different colors (I chose blue) and its Kevlar sides protect it from your filthy legs... just kidding.

Weaknesses:    OUCH!!! After about a year, the saddle became very hard, and after long rides my, ahem, "boys down stairs" would become numb. I couldn't have this! My unborn children demanded a comfortable saddle that could go the distance.

Bottom Line:
If you're a little guy (no offence pee wee), this saddle might be the right fit for you... but for me it wasn't! It was tolerable for awhile, but I have since moved on to greener pastures. If you're looking for an affordable saddle that looks neat and has TI rails, I say buy it, but if you plan on having children within your life time, look else ware. Once this saddle wares out, it's really no good! Riding this saddle I finally knew what the phrase, “numb-nuts” really meant.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser V TI Team Saddle (a much better improvement!); Black and Blue WTB saddle that came stock on my old Gary Fisher.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XC Frame, Manitou Elite Black Forks, Fox Float R Rear Shock, Mavic XC 717 Rims, Shimano XT Disk Hubs (front & rear), Old School Shimano XT Crank, Shimano XT ES71 Splined Bottom Bracket, Speedplay Frog Pedals, Shimano XT Front Dérailleur, Shimano XT Rear Dérailleur, Shimano XT 9 Speed Shifters (front & rear), Shimano XT 9 Speed Cassette, Shimano XTR/Dura-Ace 9 Speed Chain, Avid BB5 Disk Brakes (front & rear), Old School Avid 1.0 Brake Levers, Cane Creek Headset, WTB Laser V Saddle, Avid Flack Jacket Housing/Cable (shift & brake)

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Dearborn, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Submitted by Nick a Racer from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    light, has cool looking embroidered marzocchi M on it.

Weaknesses:    Not good for long rides.

Bottom Line:
Worked okay for shorter rides but the butt got numb on the longer ones. I like long epic rides and this just doesn't fit the bill. I am kind of a beginer but ride enough to know that my butt is accustomed to the saddle. I will be racing collegiate in the fall and want to get into distance races, marathons, when my fitness level comes around. I am switching saddles. Got this through Marzocchi. Looks cool and is light but doesn't perform as well as I expected. My specialized road saddle is more comfortable than this.

Purchased At:   marzocchi

Similar Products Used:   Stock Treck saddle

Bike Setup:   hard tail, specialized road saddle

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Murray, KY

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Super Cool!

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable, causes numbness and possible reproductive harm!

Bottom Line:
I went for years convinced that this was a great saddle, and like everyone else, I thought it was cool. Well I am here to tell you, don't sacrifice comfort! This thing is awful, it is peaked in the middle, it goes right up the middle of your butt. There are many Many alternatives to this, my current favorite is WTB laser V. Why do this to your butt when there are much better alternatives out there. This thing made me numb after road rides, and on a MTB, you might as well forget it!

Favorite Trail:   Canal Loop, LBL

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Several WTB's, lots of saddles.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with Reba fork

Submitted by ROD a Cross Country Rider from CNY

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Strengths:    Plain jane leather with no stitching, gel or embroidery is the way to go. If you can find the older contour version, it is better. Chromo rails hold up much better and a bit better ride with them. The lighter versions are strictly for racers and weight weenies and not to comfy.

Weaknesses:    Lol, 15 years later and there is nothing better!

Bottom Line:
The basic flite works well for all aspects of riding. The smooth surface is great for moving around on the saddle. The narrow long nose is great for outa the saddle clearance and you can get your butt way forward on seated climbs. The rear of the saddle is narrow enough to easily behind for the downhills yet perfect size for the sit. Ive read some reviews about it being hard and making there bums sore. You put the padding in the shorts, not in the saddle. A real good pair of shorts is the answer. A saddle with caddilac seat padding will give your hemroids hemroids! If you a xc type trail rider then Your handle bar height should be no higher than your seat height. This keeps alot a weight off yur bottom as well as giving you a much better riding position and better control.

Similar Products Used:   tried alot of em

Bike Setup:   Which one? Well they all have flites on em!

Submitted by Emery a Weekend Warrior from MntBrook, AL

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    Utilitarian smooth black leather version w/o gimmicks, channels or silicone enhancements. Easy to move around on and lite. Durable.

Weaknesses:    After many wet rides over several years, the glue holding the leather to the plastic base dry rots. White saddles seem less durable and loose color.

Bottom Line:
I cannot comlain. It has been since 1998 when I purchase the saddle I use now and it is still in good shape and has not started to de-glue. If you ride in wet areas, do not use a saddle bag since it may retain moisture under the seat and cause the leather to debond...over years.
OK, this is a great saddle, if you want more cush, wear two pairs of bike shorts.

Similar Products Used:   BDG/Giant, Spec Body Geometry Race & Comp,Selle Italia Turbo (1988 and still perfect on hardtail), cheap 1980's gel/fabric saddles, other Flites since 1993.

Bike Setup:   Blur, pushed fox rp3 '06, minute 3, Mavic/HighRollers, Avid Juicy 7, xtr/xt/raceface, salsa/thompson, candys

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Still the sexiest saddle made, could make a Huffy look fast & light. Great fit.

Weaknesses:    Back edges coming unglued a bit

Bottom Line:
Discovered a nice Flite Ti from my girlfriend's X's parts bin... decided to give it a try. Felt hard as a rock to the touch, but turned out to be one comfy saddle. Still the sexiest saddle to grace a bike frame, and at 230g [actual weight] or so, tough to beat the weight.

Favorite Trail:   Stabbin' Cabin Rampage

Purchased At:   stolen from X's boyfriend

Similar Products Used:   Lots of saddles from '87 or so... from blue suede to perf'd leather Turbos to narrow Bontrager's to WTB droopnoses to pain inducing Specialized Body Geometries.

Bike Setup:   '04 Hammerhead 100X w/F100RLC, Float R Propdedal, Magura Martas & Pro XC wheelset, XTR, XT, Race Face & Sette

Submitted by Wigbanker a Weekend Warrior from Newport Beach

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Very painful/uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
This is my third Flite saddle and the worst so far. The first two lasted years, were just about comfortable enough and were hardwearing. However, I just couldn't get comfortable on my latest one and yesterday the ti rail broke. Thank god it did - now I can buy a more comfortable saddle and save my manhood. There are plenty of saddles out there these days for the same price or less that are far more confortable, stronger and durable. The Flite was a winner when it came out but is an now an outdated design and no longer deserves the reputation it holds.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods