Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel Ti Rail Saddle

• Length: 280
  • Width: 130

Submitted by jonnybiggs69 a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Light, looks great (bought the white one with the silver glints in the top), comfortable (most of the time)

Weaknesses:    Colour rubs off the leather really quickly, Ti 316 rails aslo slowly flatten out, meaning the seat will creak where the rails contact the plastic stops internally - but this takes quite a lot of time.

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle because I remembered how comfortable the original Flite Ti's were back in the 90's.
I was really happy with the saddle until the white colour of the leather started rubbing off everywhere - before I had even used it off-road - just on my daily 20minute commute!
I recently completed a 60+ circuit around Starberger See in Bavaria and I couldn't sit down afterwards - my tailbone was ridiculously sore. I was about to buy a black one as the black doesn't seem to come off like the colours do, but am now looking for a saddle with a 'V' shaped cut at the back. Maybe the Shiver?

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Original Flite Ti (like the one pictured above (which is wrong for this product) lots of others

Bike Setup:   Simplon Mythos Frame Fox F100 XTR 950/970 mix DT/Mavic Wheelset.

Submitted by muzza a Weekend Warrior from busharagua province

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    Comfy, supportive.

Weaknesses:    None really. It just wore out after years of tough service.

Bottom Line:
Got it blue, used & cheap on eBay. It's been my best & friendliest saddle right from the first ride. And I tried some exotic ones. Good padding & flex in all the right places. After the coverless Tioga Spyder this one made the rig seem a little top heavy, but not for long. That whole padding thing got to be real important. Best test of a component is when you forget it's there. Genuine Gel was truly forgettable --in the good way. Finally replaced it with a new Selle Italia SLR XP which is also highly forgettable, very sleek and more in the tioga spyder weight class. Four chili value rating is because new Genuine Gels are getting kinda spendy. If you can find a decent used one on eBay, go for it. The older ones with an oval insert right on the spine are best, IMO.

Favorite Trail:   tranquility base

Purchased At:   ebay USED

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Spyder, WTB, Bontrager, Koobi Au Enduro

Bike Setup:   skinny mushroom picker trail mix lite: SC Superlight, XTR crank, reba race, 8"front rotor,danger boy man levers, cane creek terros man rims, thomson post/stem, monkeylite bars, 1.9 ritchies front & rear...ontario sp8 machete (blackberry control).

Submitted by tincho1979 a Cross Country Rider from Tucuman Argentina

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2008

Strengths:    Lighter, and confortable, the best.

Weaknesses:    No.

Bottom Line:
Comoda y ligera, no se puede pedir nada mas.

Similar Products Used:   No.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 2001

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Mermentau, LA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    Light, thin/tough yet supple leather, gel inserts work, long lasting, the shape is more comfortable than any other saddle I have ridden on

Weaknesses:    $$$

Bottom Line:
I have been using this saddle for 7 years. It was the first thing I purchased to upgrade my bike. The stock saddle was horrible. The leather is thin, but it is super strong. My bike doesn't sleep outside, but it has been rained on several times and my sweaty crotch grinding on it (nice huh?) has had no ill effects. The "Titanium" printing on the side is almost wore off, but who cares, the leather is still great. You can tell that the gel inserts work only if you spend some time on your friends bike.

I am not a MTB snob for matching parts/colors/brands. Function over form every time for me. However, the looks of this saddle is awesome. I do not care that it does not match my bike. I got the yellow one because it was the least expensive in the line. The titanium rails are nice, but other than a slight weight savings only means that the rails will inevitably last longer than the leather.

Overall a great saddle, if you like a wider saddle get something else.

Favorite Trail:   Comite, BR LA