Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Saddle

2.67/5 (9 Reviews)

The Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow uses the Flite's legendary shape with a Gel Flow anatomic cutout. The silicone gel padding around the cutout improves vibration damping.

Submitted by Todd McMahon

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, fun graphics on TLD. Leather is awesome

Weaknesses:    I have broken 1 shell(base), and bent rail on another

Bottom Line:
Customer service is helpful through WA state. They repair rails for $30

Submitted by hoolie a Cross Country Rider from Oakland

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Mine is black Flite Gel Flow. I also have Troy Lee Designs Flite Turbo (that seat sucks-hard as a rock)

Weaknesses:    Too nice to crash

Bottom Line:
Gel Flow Rocks, Very comfortable. I also own Fizik Gobi's and this is the same comfort level. The only problem is that the leather is super supple and crashing on it is very sad. I am sad now-I will electrical tape the right side gash :( I rode my old saddle 100 times without ruining it. As soon as I buy expensive one, I crash it. Funny.

Favorite Trail:   climbing

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Gobi, Fizik gobi wing flex

Bike Setup:   GT Carbon Marathon W/ lots XTR and XT
NINER Sir 9 SS
Access 29er SS

Submitted by pianoboy a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    Like any Selle Italia, it doesn't shape to your rear, it shapes your rear to it. Might hurt the first few weeks but after that it's great. The most beautiful saddle out there.

Weaknesses:    A little expensive. Don't know if the cut out really does anything.

Bottom Line:
I'm a bit of a clydesdale, about 215 lbs. I wasn't happy with the stock saddle on my bike and well, I'll admit it, I'm a little vain. Selle Italia's have always been drool worthy and I loved the lines of this one. It's been rock solid, I know I'm pushing the weight limits for the titanium rails but so far so good. After reading all the other reviews i'll keep an eye out for cracks but as it stands, I love it. It's light, very ergonomic/functional shape, gorgeous. What more could you ask for?

Favorite Trail:   Powderface

Purchased At:   Online. Can't rememb

Similar Products Used:   WTB, a few in house.

Bike Setup:   RM Element, Spinergy, World Cup SID...

Submitted by Raul Duke a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, fast

Weaknesses:    The shell broke! I had it on a road bike that was never crashed or even tipped over. I probably had 6k miles on it, but it still should not have broken, especially for a high dollar seat.

Bottom Line:
I loved it until it broke, now I am really bummed.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Creek

Purchased At:   Some website

Similar Products Used:   You name it.

Bike Setup:   Various

Submitted by msfernan a Cross Country Rider from Buenos Aires

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    Weight.

Weaknesses:    Durability, and customer service

Bottom Line:
A waste of money. I bought this saddle in Sweden and the seat broke after 6 months of normal usr. Despite having 2 years warranty nobody wanted to solve the issue. Neither the place where you buy it (Cykling store (Norrtullsgatan 39, 113 45 STOCKHOLM), or the local representative here in Argentina or Selle Italia Customer Service.

For those who wants to see how Selle Italia Customer Service works, I can share the emails I changed with them.

My advise, buy a product from a company that reach the XXI century in Customer Service matters.

Favorite Trail:   Rio Pinto

Purchased At:   Cykling store (Norrt

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Aliante

Bike Setup:   Merida TFS 900 V (2007). Full Shimano XT.

Submitted by Bondi Bev a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    comfortable saddle.

Weaknesses:    Poor match to Thompson seat post - shaves down alloy head.
Shell only lasts for less than a year before cracking

Bottom Line:
When I got my first gel flow, i thought it was great on my hard tail. After 9 months I noticed that it was cracked on the RHS from the back of the flow insert to the outer edge. Returned to PBK and got a warranty replacement without fuss.

Now 1 year on, the replacement has cracked exactly the same place. No crash damage so it is a clear product fault.

i have a SLR gel flow on my road bike for the past 2.5 yrs with no problems. I think the Sella Italia saddles are not suited to the body / bum movement of MTB riding, but they market the saddle as suited to all styles of cycling ... mmmmmm.... Bull$hit.

Purchased At:   Pro Bike Kit

Similar Products Used:   The original Flite - crack shell after 4 years. Flite Gel - popped rail (my fault), Flite gel flow (x2)- cracked shell twice - desgn fault.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox Talas, XT, Hope, Thompson,etc.

Submitted by Alamo a Cross Country Rider from Göttingen, Germany

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, nice looks, pretty lightweight (240g), leather

Weaknesses:    not very robust, decals wear off quickly, interferes with Thomson Seatpost

Bottom Line:
Have been using this saddle for about 6 months and 2000km. It is very comfortable and looks good but the sides of the saddle interfered with my Thomson Elite Seatpost (actually shaved off some of the aluminum on the clamp!). While cleaning the bike today I noticed that the saddle shell broke - explaining why my backside has been sore the last few rides.
I would definitely not buy this saddle again, will try to get it replaced and sell it to try the Fizik Gobi next.

Purchased At:   Bike-Discount.com

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Vector

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by FASTK a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    pretty when new, good fit to my anatomy.

Weaknesses:    So I have my new Niner with a Stella Italia Gel Saddle. The white finish is wearing off after only 8 weeks of use; down to bare leather.

Just called Pronet Cycling the USA distributor that handles their customer service about a warranty. I explained the situation.

Guy said, "There is no warranty for saddles but you can send it in."

I replied, "If there is no warranty, exactly what are you going to do with the saddle?"

Guy says, "Send it back to you."

I said, "Sounds like a waste of time and money if you aren't going to do anything."

Guy says, "Yeah, pretty much. But we'll look at it, be sure to include your receipt."

WTF! I will never buy another Stella Italia saddle, other buyers beware!

I called my LBS and they are going to take care of me, which means a happy ending but if you see a Stella Italia saddle for sale, stay away.

Bottom Line:
No warranty, no customer service, rude company.

Favorite Trail:   Mohician State Park

Similar Products Used:   same product in black with no issue, in fact I have three fo their saddles

Submitted by nelly's on one a Cross Country Rider from Prague

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    comfort to the extreme,lightweight,easy on-off action, price,tough durable leather cover.

Weaknesses:    takes a hundred or so kilometres to 'run-in'

Bottom Line:
This saddle is the bees knees, you dont need to spend a fortune to get a top saddle, although the '08/9 flites are a bit more pricey. tried loads of saddles and this is the best i have used. great for short blasts or 6 hour marathons. I take care of this saddle( being real leather )it needs regular cleanind and softening up with a quality leather conditioner/polish keeps it supple!! get one, you wont regret it !!

Purchased At:   Evans Woking UK

Similar Products Used:   gobi, flight ti,arione carbon,brooks b17.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale rush '07 x0 rear, xt front, xo twisters, 647 pedals ,conti mountain king 2.2 f/r. rest is stock.

Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow

Im looking for a new saddle...opinions????Read More »

Selle Italia Flite XC Gel Flow rail size?

Hi there, just bought a Selle Italia Flite XC Gel Flow saddle and I need to know what its rail size is. It looks like I'm going to need to buy a different-sized Cyclops seatpost clamp for my USE Alien carbon seatpost. Thanks in advance. [IMG]http://www.totalcycling.com/images/large/18922_062855.j ... Read More »