Home | Reviews | Saddle | Sella

4.31/5 (26 Reviews)

Sella Italia Trimatic Gel

Submitted by Slick Hick a Downhiller from Annapolis Royal, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, Solid build, Comfortable but not plush and squishy

Weaknesses:    no radio. Not really any better than much cheaper saddles, probably just paying for looks or brand name.

Bottom Line:
Used on a bike that doubles as a pump track/mini DJ crapkicker and is used for herding cattle and the occasional chicken. All in all, suits my needs perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   North Mountain Secret

Purchased At:   yard sale

Similar Products Used:   Turbos, Turbomatic 4, cheap Velo, a Bontrager or two

Bike Setup:   old rigid steel Scott MTB thats way too small for me with downhill tires for monster truckin' and faux bmx'ing around the parents farm

Submitted by Dru a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Strengths:    Beautifully made. Great quality and attention to detail.
Reasonably light. Works great on my road bike.

Weaknesses:    Just doesn't work on my mountainbike.
Feels too narrow and very hard.
The little Tri Matic stickers rub off easily

Bottom Line:
This saddle works so good on my road bike I'll never change it, but the one on my Bianchi MTB is awful.
Have just finished testing a whole bunch of saddles for my 2 MTB's .........and am going with San Marco Aero.
It's a little wider than the flite with a rounder snout, and it just fits me. Which of course is all that matters, so why are you reading someone elses opinion ?
Difficult to rate.
Roadbike: 5 spontaneously combusting caterpillars
MTB: 3
So split the difference

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Similar Products Used:   Koski, Spesh Body Geom, San Marco Aero, Italia Flite, Italia ONDA

Bike Setup:   Road BIke: Monoc TC2(this is an awesome roadbike)/Campy/Spinergy's/
MTB's Bianchi 3400/Manitou sx/Bianchi discs/full XT.
Cannondale Jekyll 900SX/Fatty Ultra/Hayes Hydro/full XT/All Race Face components

Submitted by William Millard a Cross Country Rider from Grenoble

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Strengths:    Looks cool, reasonable price, very comfortable

Weaknesses:    After a long ride, it is kind of like peeing with someone elses tackle

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable, so there is no problem with riding, the problem is later in the evening when you still haven't got any feeling where you whould have. Much worse on my road bike obviously. Maybe it's just me, but these things are a little worrying.

Purchased At:   Decathlon

Similar Products Used:   Titec baserker, flight, specialised body geometry

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt Vision, Hope discs...

Submitted by charles from nyc/bronx

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    nice looking-quality name company-good price-

Weaknesses:    comfort comfort comfort

Bottom Line:
i thought this was the worst saddle i owned except for my old brooks swallow leather. but, others thought favorably of the saddle so i figured maybe it was just me and i did'nt complain. then, i lent the bike to a friend for a 25 mile ride and after the ride he stopped talking to me asking how could i let him ride a bike without warning him how bad the saddle was. he said " the only thing that could fix the saddle was gas and a match". i whole heartedly agree. a good saddle for a bad friend

Purchased At:   i think pricepoint/ or nashbar?

Similar Products Used:   brooks- selle italia-and sella san marco postal- also mongoose ti, (suprisingly comfortable)

Bike Setup:   airborne ti hardtail- mars carbon fork- specialized 26x1.5 tires

Submitted by kevin a Cross Country Rider from chicago

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, nice looks, withstands mud/water/crashes, rail absoprtion, clearance on climbing. I think you have to prefer slimmer saddles to appreciate this one.

Weaknesses:    It could be more comfortable but what do you expect from a performance saddle? A couch?

Bottom Line:
Purchased online based on the good reviews here although I noticed on the message boards some negatives. The first few rides, I noticed some soreness after 2+ hours but it eventually broke in nicely and I don't even think about it. The gel padding is very minimal, however, if you have the least amount of gel in your cycling shorts it should provide a high level of comfort. The best part is that it's light, durable, and very nice looking and way better than the WTB SSK I had before. I'm sure there are other comparable choices but Selle Italia has won me over. In the offseason, you can find one for under $50!

Purchased At:   online close out

Similar Products Used:   SDG, WTB

Bike Setup:   XIZANG, blah,blah..

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Parkton, Md

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    good construction, rail "damping" works

Weaknesses:    too narrow for me, not enough "cush"

Bottom Line:
I purchased this seat based on the reviews I read-obviously what works for one person doesn't for all. Though the seat is a well made quality seat, it seems to narrow and too firm. I found this seat very uncomfortable and couldn't recommend it.

Purchased At:   Bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   various makes/models of seat-this is my 5th

Bike Setup:   GT hardtail

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from NY, NY

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    Vey comfy for long rides Looks good

Bottom Line:
Compared to the stock saddle (body geo) is like night and day.

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper Comp LX/XT

Submitted by Tom M a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Strengths:    Looks nice. Gel padding definitely helps.

Weaknesses:    A little too narrow for me.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is much more comfortable than I ever expected. I bought my Bianchi Alloro used and planned to replace the saddle right away, but was surprised at how comfortable it was. It's still a little too narrow for me, though, so I am buying another Selle Italia saddle, the Transam Max, which is a little wider with cutout in middle. The Trimatic is definitely a quality saddle that is more comfortable than most, and you can get some good deals for them on eBay in lots of different colors and patterns.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Selle Royal Gel, Trek gel, Serfas

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Alloro w/ aluminum frame, Ultegra group.

Submitted by Stu Pidasso a Cross Country Rider from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    Very well made. Durable. The vibration damper works as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Gel insert is useless. It does not help in any way.

Bottom Line:
This thing was worlds better than my OEM saddle, but after months of daily use it just plain hurts! The shaping is all wrong. It slopes to the sides too much near the back. Not enough support of the sit bones. It's supposed to be one of these great new "comfort saddles", but it puts more pressure on the center region than any standard saddle. I only paid like 35 bucks for it, so I guess I got what I paid for.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   BikeWorld.com

Similar Products Used:   CODA brick, SDG BelAir

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F700 (CAAD3), RaceFace xy post

Submitted by Art Salmons a Weekend Warrior from Parker,CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    I put it on this weekend and did a 20 mile ride. My butt usually hurts after that but I didn't notice it with the new addle. I guess that's the best compliment I can give it. It looks great too.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
A great looking comfortable saddle. It looks thin and that scares you at first but while riding it seems very comfortable. This saddle gives you support where yo need it and you don't know it's there. I like it a lot and think that it was a great upgrade to my bike. I would recommend it to anyone. The gel patches work and it's a great looking saddle to boot.

Favorite Trail:   Cherry creek

Similar Products Used:   Coda 900, Oasis that came on my Trek bike

Bike Setup:   Stock trek 820 2000 model

Submitted by Allan a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, California

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort/Price/Looks

Weaknesses:    None at this time

Bottom Line:
Rear was killing me with Bontrager and cheap Trek saddle and experiencing numbness. Read reviews on this saddle and price; have used a month. Think best comment is that you are not aware that you are sitting on a saddle.

Purchased At:   Bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FS plus 10 Race; Trek generic

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000: stock

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2000

Strengths:    narrow shape, comfort, weight, looks.

Weaknesses:    would be better if it had a sloping nose for climbing.

Bottom Line:
i bought this saddle because of its' good reviews here and the great sale price at bikeworld($39). when i pulled it out of the box and saw that skinny, thin seat, i must admit i had my doubts. it has since made a believer out of me. comfort and maneuverability are a hard combination to come by in a saddle and this one has it. very easy to get your weight back on steep descents and doesn't hang up on your baggies when you pull yourself forward again. i'm still a beginner in this sport and am finding out how important it is to be able to move your body around. this saddle has definitely helped my riding. if i could make one improvement, it would be a different or sloping nose shape to make it easier to get my weight far forward for seated climbing. speaking of weight,i'm a 225#er so this is not just a saddle for medium sized riders. 5 chilis for value(thanks, bikeworld!), 4 for overall. a sloping nose would give it a perfect score. great seat!

Favorite Trail:   lots of 'em

Purchased At:   bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   stock saddle(ouch!)

Bike Setup:   fisher hardtail, moxey post, SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, hutchison pythons, avid 2.0 brakes, delta teflon cables, xt/bontrager mustang wheels.

Submitted by Somxay a Racer from Phily, PA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    Price, look and quality

Bottom Line:
I love these saddle, they are great for long rides. I ride 2 hours aday and they felt great. I bought mine for only $40 on bikeworld. Go buy yours today!!!!!!