Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

4.38/5 (24 Reviews)

SDG Ventura Comp

Submitted by Derron a Cross Country Rider from Draper, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Great looks, Ti Rails, Kevlar corners, soft foam, sparkly vinyl cover!

Weaknesses:    don't make them anymore--can't find 'em anywhere.

Bottom Line:
This was one sweet seat back in the day. I loved it so much! Stupidly sold it because I was a starving student, and now I want it back and can't find one anywhere. Please let me know if you find one (or have one to sell) somewhere. I had the sparkly glitter black/grey? version with black kevlar corners. It was so comfy and unbelievably light. It was virtually maintenance-free. The vinyl underneath the seat (where it attached) would occasionally begin to come unglued. A little super glue fixed the problem permanently. Here is my simple plea (gets down on knees): SDG, PLEASE BRING BACK THE VENTURA COMP TI SADDLE, PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Favorite Trail:   wouldn't you like to know?

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   WTB speed V

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Comp, XTR drivetrain, Avid mech discs, Thomson elite, Azonic, etc.

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Oil City PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort. Tough leather cover. Strong shell.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses? Maybe lack of bumpers on the sides, I guess...

Bottom Line:
Great saddle, but realize that saddles are a personal choice. I'm large (200 lbs) and these saddles do well for my aggressive, big-ring style. They are tough enough for off-road, graceful and smooth enough for roadies. A good choice, but try 'em out first.

Favorite Trail:   Oil Creek, Allegheny, and East Sandy Creek Trails

Purchased At:   Various mail-order (oh no!)

Similar Products Used:   Vetta, Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Kashimax, Brooks

Bike Setup:   1 steel front sus,1 alloy front sus, 1 alloy dual sus. Acera, Exage, Deore, LX, and XT components.

Submitted by jas a Weekend Warrior from utah

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the ti version on my mtn bike, very dense foam, glitter vinyl with kevlar corners. The kevlar isn't bullet proof. I like the slick glitter vinyl. Feels hard when you sit on it, but its the most comfortable saddle I've had when riding. It's a flat wide seat that puts pressure on your sit bones instead of other parts. The steel rail version on my road bike has a little thicker, less dense foam. I think the ti rail version is more comfortable, because of the foam, not the rails.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock

Similar Products Used:   troxel leather saddle, selle san marcos ti, various vetta

Bike Setup:   dbr axis tt ti, xtr cranks & cassette, sram 9.0, avid, etc, centurion steel roadbike with 105

Submitted by ed a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Strengths:    sturdy
very comfortable
good looking design
kevlar corners

Weaknesses:    heavy (i have steel rail version)
vinyl instead of leather

Bottom Line:
THis is an amazingly comfortable saddle for me. I am a clydesdale (235 lbs) so maybe that has something to do with it. I have tried numerous saddles (see above) and nothing was really very good, with the exception of the flite, but I use that on my road bike and would not dream of taking a saddle like that on a trail. I have the steel rail version of this saddle which I am presuming weighs 300+ grams. THat is a major downfall but I have not been able to justify replacing it because it is so comfortable. I do not like the cheap vinyl construction however. But, If I can't break this, no one can! This saddle is very durable. If I can find something that is similar, but Lighter, I will replace it though.

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   titec bezerker DH
flite ti
sdg belaire
bontrager c-30

Submitted by kid4life a Cross Country Rider from Crown Point, IN USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    strength, comfort, customer service

Bottom Line:
The seat is fine, no real complaints. The company RULES.
I bent the rails in a serious wreck, totally my fault. I called SDG to see if they could do anything for me(I was straight w/ them about the crash) A real live person answered the phone and said to send the seat in and for $15 they would replace the ti rails. Bottom line- I sent the seat in on Monday, had it back, fixed, on Wednesday. The true sign of a good company is how they respond to problems. I'd say they did pretty well.

Similar Products Used:   vetta TT, WTB SST, Giro Fisik

Bike Setup:   super v loaded w/ XTR or better

Submitted by Fred Dompierre a Weekend Warrior from Québec, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    Crapy saddle
poor ti rails
Kevlar brake pants
Screws rust

Bottom Line:
I prefere my old and cheap Vetta Tri-Shock to this thing. My rail broke whitout reason (no crash). Screws rust. Kevlar scrap 3 pairs on pants. I expected more to a saddle of this price.

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Tri-Shock

Chris King ahead set
Thomson Elite

Submitted by Vin a Weekend Warrior from Williston Park, NY

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Strengths:
Great Looks

Weaknesses:
I just crashed and bent the saddle!! Maybe Ti rails are NOT for clydesdales!!!

Bottom Line:
I am a little disappointed-- the saddle was an upgrade on the bike order 6 mos ago-- to get into my first big crash and have the Ti rails bend on me stinks!

Bethpage St. Pk

6 months

ProFlex Beast '97, Maguras, Mavic, Pipeline dual crown fork, hellbent Hb

Submitted by Dale a cross-country rider from MS

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I,ve had the Comp Ventura Ti now for about a year and other than the normal break in period with a new saddle its been great.The gold flake vinyl is great for position changes and the Kevlar corners are bulletproof.In the weight department its light but still strong and stable......great looking and great riding.

Submitted by Vince Zaccone a cross-country rider from Goleta, CA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had an SDG Comp saddle for about 3 years now. It's super comfortable and the full kevlar makes it grippy, which I like. It does eat up your shorts after a while, but that's a good sign that you probably need new ones anyway. I did bend a rail once, but they were great about replacing it right on the spot (I went down to their shop in person because I was in the area and they were real nice).

Submitted by Mac a cross-country rider from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Overall, it's a good seat but a little harsh in the prostate area; I often find myself moving back towards the rear part of the seat to find comfort. It is OVER-PRICED. The weight is good and the titanium rails make for good boasting. It's one of the better looking seats out there...why do some companies make great, comfortable seats that have yellow and pink flames on them? For now I can live with the SDG seat, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a better one.

Submitted by tim a cross-country rider from chicago

Date Reviewed: April 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Ventura came on my Bianchi 'Boss'. All my other bikes have 'Flites' because I have found the Flite to be the best for me. But I thought I'd ride the Ventura and see how I like it. After two months of extended rides, I'll have to agree with what Mountain Bike Action had to say in the latest issue. Chafes over the long haul. The deeply textured vinyl cover really chafes and annoyes after about 3 hours of riding. The nose is also too hard and wide for my liking. On the plus side, the saddle is well made and appears as if it would hold up well to repeated crashes. Saddles are personal things and thou' it might work well for others, I'll stick to my Flites.

Submitted by aKuma a weekend warrior from singapore

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

well i got it for 85 singapore dollars.well it replace my crossbow.it is strong but not comfortable because of lesser padding
i like it for its look but if u wanna comfort ,get titec.
aa bb cc dd cc cc cc dasd cddfsaf sfds cc cc cc ccc cc cc cc cc

Submitted by Martin S. a cross-country rider from Edmonton, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently received an SDG V. comp ti leather for Xmas and it rocks! I previously rode a selle italia flite, (which I loved) but the extra padding and wider profile of the SDG sure makes it more comfey, even after a winter of doin' nuthin. Also a big plus is the new plastic bumpers under the nose and on the back corners, as Cartman says 'sweet'.

Submitted by bier a weekend warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wow. What a great saddle. I use to have a Serfas and what a difference. Even though the Serfas was very comfortable ( much better than the crappy C-dale saddle) the saddle is primo. You can tell the quality difference from a USA made saddle and the Serfas which is made in Taiwan. Just look underneath the darn thing, screws hold the fabric together not glue. Also it feels great against my booty and is extremely light. Wouldn't trade this thing in for anything. From now on SDG goes on all my bikes. Thanks, five chile rellenos.

Submitted by Eddie a cross-country rider from Kent, WA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

1st I would like to say I love my Proflex!!! I did break the frame on my first after 1.5 years of hard riding, the new replacement, the 856 has been beefed up in the stress points. If anyones looking for a FS bike, the price on these close outs is in credible!!! Can't be touched!!!
Back to the saddle, this was the only weak point of the proflex, so I put on the SDG kevlar---great move!!!! Nice and comfy, but also nuke proof!!! I've taken some good dumps--a bunch in Moab, and even those tough rocks couldn't put a nick in my saddle's even tougher skin. I never worry about my saddle in a crash, just my ass!!! And did I mention, COMFY? The only thing I wish it had was a dipped nose like the WTB saddle--who ever comes out with a full Kevlar, wide rear, and dipped nose is going to get my money--regaurdless of the price--after all, it's my ass we're talking about! Right!