Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

3.47/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 218 grams MSRP : $55.00

• Ultra-lightweight foam
  • Hypoallergetic / medically proven / completely waterproof
  • Nylon/carbon base for increased strength and resiliency
  • 6/4 ti rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from KC

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    Nice shape. Comfy. Kevlar sides.

Weaknesses:    Logos are a bit overstated. Colors on some are a bit flashy for my taste. Might be a bit plush for hardcore racer types.

Bottom Line:
    Had this on my Voodoo for awhile but have been using this on my DK 4130 BMX cruiser lately where I wanted something more cushy yet still race oriented. On the DK you sit pretty hard on a seat (usually standing while pedaling) and this one has been great! On the DK layback seatpost (this is most likely the seatposts fault) in the furthest back position the nose it's sits in a pretty much level position... wish it could angle up more. I like it much better than most of the lame bmx seats out there.

In the month I had it on the mtb I liked it too. Very comfy ride. Didn't make any body parts fall asleep. Could be lighter (I only have the cro-mo model). Wish they'd tone back on the graphics a bit. Subtle is better imo.

Favorite Trail:   River trails in Lawrence

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Extreme, Kona "race lite", GT bmx race seat, SDG bmx race seat, Primo Hemmoroid bmx dj seat

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Hoodoo hardtail and a DK 4130 BMX cruiser

Submitted by Manny E from Austin

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
    Follow up to the review I made below....

After a year and a half, this seat is toast! Intense model (sewn graphics0 or not, my ass took a severe pounding on my first epic of 2004! Off came this saddle, and on went a brand new SDG Grand Prix. Much better.

the lightweight Satellite is to scrawny to last more than a season of moderate riding. Stick with better SDG models, Sella Italia Flite GEL, or WTB Rocket.

Submitted by Tim S. from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Weaknesses:    Titanium rail snapped after 3 months of XC use

Bottom Line:
    Purchased this saddle due to the recommendation of the LBS owner. I have been biking for over 15 years and have never bought such a P.O.S. I had put less than 100 miles of XC use on this saddle before the left side rail snapped clean off (just behind where the seatpost clamps to the rails). Titanium my ass. I'm going to try to get a warranty replacement on this thing.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail w/ Cane Creek Thudbuster post

Submitted by Manny from Texas

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Decent saddle.
    Relatively lightweight.
    Sewn-in graphics are sweet!

Weaknesses:    Squeaks a lot.
    Numbness in crotch after extended rides.
    Plastic nosepiece [cap] isn't very durable.

Bottom Line:
    INTENSE version of Satellite, with Intense sewn into the rear of saddle.

More padding is needed --only a small anount to combat "crotch numbness" after extended rides.

Plastic nosepiece bows outward, on my RaceFace XY seatpost; this causes it to grab onto your short/spandex! This part has also come unfastened from the screws, so I had to tape in together.

The rails squeak like a ho's bed at a cheap hotel!

Submitted by Wayne a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, durability and Ti rails.

Bottom Line:
    I've had this saddle on three consecutive bikes. F1000, Super V and now the Saclpel. It's my favourite. It has a few war wounds but is still holding up well.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo (before the bush fires)

Purchased At:   On-ya-Bike

Similar Products Used:   CODA, SDG Bellaire.

Bike Setup:   Scalpel 800 '03. XRT shifters & Der's. Easton Carbon post, Easton EA70 flat bar, Egg Beater. XT BB & Cassette.Stock wheels with 14/15g spokes.

Submitted by MARK a Cross Country Rider from MONTEBELLO

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Sleek, good looking, comfortable.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this saddle. The Belair is built on the samr platform but is a bit more comfortable due to extra padding. This saddle kept me comfortable on the first ride which was 27 miles of trails at Turnbull Canyon. Lots of Techincal climbing and double track swithcback decending. No numbness. No pain. Great light weight saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon

Similar Products Used:   SDG Belair, WTB Rocket, WTB, Stealth.

Bike Setup:   Turner O2, Fox Forx F80 RTL, XTR, Chris King, Thompson...

Submitted by calnhob a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Very nice looking.
    Sleek and light.
    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap because it sucks.
    Very little support.
    Too narrow.

Bottom Line:
    I got this seat off eBay for $10. It looked awesome and I thought it was a really good bargin. I've sat on serveral Satellites and they're not all the same. I have a black one with 2 white strips going down the front. I also have a black one with green sides that came oem on a 2001 GT i-Drive 2.0. The one from the GT wasnt too bad and had more padding. The one from eBay has very little padding and after an hour of riding, the area below my butt really feels painful. Actually, both seats hurt after a while but the one with white strips is really bad. I've tried WTB speed and laser seats and they feel so much better. I'm going to look for those seats now because the pain is too unbearable. I know some people really like it and I guess it really depends on the person and their butt.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed and Laser

Submitted by Loi a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Strengths:    Sweet looking. Comfortable. Lightweight. And if you can find them, they're really cheap. < $20

Weaknesses:    If anything, real kevlar sides instead of nylon-like material. Fancy metal rails instead of steel. But if you have all that it won't be less than $20

Bottom Line:
    The saddle is great. I had one as OEM on my GT I-Drive. When it wore out, I found one with the Landing Strip at the LBS for like $10+tax.

What a sweet deal. They are fairly light, and they are very comfortable. And they look like a million bucks. I like the slim look.

I liked it so much, when I saw one on ebay, i bought that one too and put it on BMX bike.

These saddles makes my @ss happy!

Bike Setup:   2001 GT Ruckus, Marz DJ1, Hayes 8"/6", DEORE/LX/XTR, Salsa Bashring, Syncros DH Bar, Syncros SeatPost, SDG Satellite Saddle, Sun SingleTrack Rims, Sun ZUZU Pedals, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Submitted by Tim W a Cross Country Rider from waterford,mich.u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Strengths:    looks, weight, comfort.

Bottom Line:
    The guys who bought the "bargain price versions" of this saddle got the oem type taiwan saddles, if You get the u.s. or custon version of these saddles You will love it! do You really expect to have a $6 saddle perform? geez, don,t be a cheapo!

Favorite Trail:   pontiac lk.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   flite,bontrager

Bike Setup:   dean ti singlespeed

Submitted by Konacopia a Weekend Warrior from L.A.

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Price!
    Comfortable
    Quality design

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Picked up this seat as a closeout from a local shop for about the price of a value meal. Wasn't really looking for a seat but at this price I figured it wasn't a big gamble. Jackpot! I've been looking for a seat to replace my Specialized Manganese since it was basically numbing me babymaker even on beach rides on the strand. I bought numerous gel seats even those that have the ergonomic cut-out that are supposed to prevent numbness with no solutions. Little did I know that a stiffer $6 seat would solve my problems. I figure the softer seats just conform to your nether regions and don't provide a sturdy base for your sitbones. Riding my bike has never been more comfortable.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Selle Bassano, Specialized

Submitted by funkeetuna a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight I guess...

Weaknesses:    This seat totally pounded my groin into a bloody pulp and the rails were bent from one of my first rides. I finally bought a new seat last week and am so much happier.

Bottom Line:
    The only good thing I can say about this seat is that when you are riding in the attack position, standing with weight behind seat, it is easy to grip the seat with your thighs for more control. It is skinny so there is little friction on legs when peddling seated.

Only a racer totally unconcerned for there nut sack safety would use this seat. I am shocked I used it for as long as I did. I wouldn't have ridden on it at all except my full suspension takes alot of the shocks. But after a particularly bumpy ride I got fed up and had enough. Also I don't know how this seat got bent, I weigh 175 and do jumps but I dont get that much air???

Favorite Trail:   skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Specialized body geometry, a bontrager seat with a red squishy thing in middle and several others

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive 2.0

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    Custom made by SDG for me in my choice of materials and colors. Quality craftsmanship. Very light and still comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None (I paid a lot, but not when you consider the custom aspect)

Bottom Line:
    I wanted a really well-matching saddle to go with my built-up bike. I had just about gone nuts looking for something comfortable, light weight, and the right colors when I discovered by accident that SDG custom builds individual saddles in the materials and colors that you want. I ordered the Satellite in a "Custom Landing Strip" configuration that gave me a center zone of orange synthetic leather, side zones of grey synthetic leather, and corner zones of black kevlar. It includes side bumpers and a nose guard and ti rails. It weighs 220 grams and is one of a kind. IT ROCKS.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   SDG web site

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST X-3
    X-Lite PSS2

Bike Setup:   Homegrown Pro frame with XT/LX mix, SX-R fork, Avid CPS mechanicals, Specialized Stout Hubs w/Mavic X317 rims...

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    It's light

Weaknesses:    I bent the rails in one month's time. I can't feel my crotch after an hour long ride. (not good)

Bottom Line:
    The weight thing is nice, but if you want to have kids I would buy something else.

Favorite Trail:   skeggs