Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG S7000 Saddle Saddle

3.69/5 (42 Reviews)

• Full Kevlar construction
  • Nylon/carbon base for increased strength and resiliency
  • 6/4 ti rails
  • Available with synthetic leather top with black Kevlar shoulders

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Erik S a Cross Country Rider from Sumter SC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, does not get slimey from sweat.

Weaknesses:    Not for all tail ends

Bottom Line:
    It may not fit your butt. If it does go for it. I makes for a strong springy XC saddle that is plenty light. It would be top dog for desert conditions because the Kevlar cover is slow to dry if you dunk it in the rain or on a wet ride. I rairly ride in the wet so it works great for me. Don't pay list and if you like a more narrow saddle go for it.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Selle Italia, flight, max flight etc, Advocet o2

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, light weight climbing XC ride, Al frame XT tranny

Submitted by Charlie a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    comfortable, slippery for ease of movement on technical terrain, light, durable, strong

Bottom Line:
    On the first ride I thought the saddle was too hard, but it broke in by the second ride and is now very comfortable. No numbness, no bruised sitz bonz. Narrow and slippery so it's easy to get off the back for descending trails fit only for a burro. Riding on the tip of the saddle going up hill is also comfortable. And the saddle is quite light for something so comfortable. I also have crashed far too hard for my health, digging chunks of aluminum out of various accessories but the saddle is unscratched. I know a saddle is a personal thing, but the 7000 really does it for me.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo - Braille

Purchased At:   Burro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of saddles

Bike Setup:   Burro bike, go anywhere and do anything but break exploration bike.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    looks cool, kevlar feels nice, titanium rails, light weight

Weaknesses:    killed my ass....good god.

Bottom Line:
    Maybe it's this particular saddle I got from SDG, but after riding around for only 30 miles on dirt and paved roads, my ass is in too much pain.

Purchased At:   Local Store

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Classic seat...also rock hard

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-20, Judy XC's, Rock Shox Deluxe, XT/LX, Avid Brakes.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    looks cool, kevlar feels nice, titanium rails, light weight

Weaknesses:    killed my ass....good god.

Purchased At:   Local Store

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Classic seat...also rock hard

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-20, Judy XC's, Rock Shox Deluxe, XT/LX, Avid Brakes.

Submitted by Scot a Cross Country Rider from Frisco, TX, US

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light-weight. Small.

Weaknesses:    Hard.

Bottom Line:
    It's a hard saddle, which doesn't bother me too much--saves the back in the long run.

But I pulled a massive endo and split the cover/foam on it. It's a doozy of a 3 inch split that I don't think can (or should) be glued back together. Add a dead saddle to the parts gaveyard.

It's light. It's small and it doesn't hurt my back. I'll live with a raw butt after a long ride if my back hasn't been played slinky the entire ride.

After 2 years I could do the 100km of pot-hole filled trails and not have a raw backside. It does get softer with age. But once it got soft enough to love it split.

I'll give it a moderate 3/3 since it was stock on the bike and I didn't know it was supposed to set me back a hundred bucks. I'd not pay $30 if I were getting today.

Bike Setup:   99 GT Backwoods w/ upgrades. Time ATAK pedals.

Submitted by Bunnamma a Cross Country Rider from Lake Como, Italy

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    I have the Ti rail version, it's light (not as a SanMarco),confortable for me, I have very narrow heaps and bones, I weight 147 pounds,I keep it in a perfect level position (other saddles on other bikes are more tilted down), I believe that full kevlar is good in heat because it cools down when wet, better to buy the black version.

Weaknesses:    The full kevlar cover is not indestructible, but the broken spot can easily repaired with a drop of Loctite-Attak, I collected two broken spots up to now. It took some to break in, not the padding but the cover, which is pretty abrasive when new

Bottom Line:
    For my butt design and my weight is good, but the price is outworldly high, I bought second hand (used only once or twice). No problem of affordability up to now.

Favorite Trail:   Italian-Swiss alps

Purchased At:   Bicimania, Italy

Similar Products Used:   SanMarco Integra full kevlar, San Marco Concor Light, Selle Italia Flite (the only saddle I really don't fit to)

Bike Setup:   1995 WTB Phoenix w/ RS judy, XTR, AC cranks.

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Gilbert, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, good cover

Weaknesses:    It kills my butt after every ride.

Bottom Line:
    Light, durable, looks good, but is a pain in the a**(literally).

Purchased At:   A-1 Bike Center

Bike Setup:   99 GT Ricochet with a few upgrades

Submitted by Bill Bernacki a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, Fl

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Strengths:    Kevlar Cover

Weaknesses:    Ouch my butt sure does hurt. Before, after, and during

Bottom Line:
    Great kevlar cover but it hurts my sit bones way to much. I whis LBS would have trial versions of saddle's they sell. If you could ride for a few rides before you buy that help bad fitting saddles. Everyone's butt is different so try the saddle before you buy. Rating was down since it hurts my butt to much.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Trail

Similar Products Used:   Specilized Saddle

Bike Setup:   Specilized 95' M2 converted SS.

Submitted by seti from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2000

Strengths:    nice looks
    easy to drop behind

Weaknesses:    leather could rip easily

Bottom Line:
    I don't notice it....this is good.

Bike Setup:   rm thin air

Submitted by Dave Macki a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Ont

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
    - kevlar cover
    - good fit, not to big
    - excellent customer service

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow up to my previous review. I broke the Ti rails on my '2000 seat , but Mike at SDG quickly replaced the rails free of charge. I would highly recommend this seat just for the great customer service (they have a customer for life!) . I do firnd that the kevlar seat is the smartest idea I have seen on a saddle to date. I ride with Corerat shorts so I have had no problems with chaffing etc....

Ladies Only

1 Year

- lots

- Chcuk FS

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Fairmont, WV

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1999

Strengths:
    hmmmm its comfy

Weaknesses:
    i have the cheapo normal model with no kevlar... the sides are all scraped up from just setting it on the ground...
    an airbubble must have been caught under the surface and came out, now i have a small void just off the mid-line of my saddle, give your saddle a thorough look over before buying... squeeze it a lot to make sure there are not air bubbles

Bottom Line:
    good seat... quality lacks and needs scuff guards.

3 months

GT Rebound with stock seat

Submitted by Cohiba (the kamikaze dude) a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1999

Strengths:
    Great durability, especially resistant to tearing during a crash, retains its color with little or no fading. Relatively lightweight.

Weaknesses:
    If it gets muddy, the saddle absorbs a lot of the mud, and you have to wash it out. Due to the grippy nature of the saddle, it can wreak havoc on your cycling shorts. Absorbs water like a sponge and takes a long time to dry. Can be uncomfortable on long rides, but every back-side is different, and it depends on the set-up.

Bottom Line:
    I have the Ti Comp model, and overall it is one great saddle, especially for those who are prone to crashing, and want a saddle that can take some real abuse. Not slippery when wet like with vinyl or leather saddles. Definetly worth getting.

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

more than 3 years

Flite Ti saddle

GT STS-1000DS with Marzocchi bomber Jr. T.

Submitted by Dave Macki a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Ont

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1999

Strengths:
    - all kevlar cover
    - seat size and shape

Weaknesses:
    - broke one of the Ti rails

Bottom Line:
    - great idea with the full kevlar seat , extremely durable
    - the Ti rails are pretty weak
    - I expect more strength when paying alof of money for something as simple as a saddle

Ladies Only

1 Year

- lots of leather saddles

Chuck FS with Z1

Submitted by Bruce a Cross-Country Rider from Mukilteo, WA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
    The SDG is the most durable Saddle that I have used. It has taken a lot of abuse and the cover still looks like new. I also think it is very comfortable for such a narrow saddle. The narrowness is a plus in technical single track and for drop offs because it is so easy to get over the back wheel!

Weaknesses:
    None yet, just sad to see the 7000 model is no longer made!

Bottom Line:
    Great saddle for those used to ridding some miles and have their rear used to it! Damage resitant. Flat out bullet proof. Would buy again!

Shin Bone & Rock Field

2 Years

Submitted by Foochow Ang more a cross-country rider from Oz then Borneo

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Had the 2000 ti now for over a year. Well padded. Grips your shorts, you don't slip unless you want to. Very comfortable. Survived mountain bike touring up and down old rocky gold mining tracks for 3 days, as well as 6 months of borneo mud riding. Holds dirt, which is an advantage for posers and a disadvantage for the rest of us. Did I mention confortable for my foochow hip bone? 5 shots of premium.