Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG I-Fly C Saddle

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Take the I-Fly and add double the padding, but only 15 grams.

Submitted by liam2 a Racer from Santa Clara,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Strengths:    looks great,light, and strong

Bottom Line:
great seat

Favorite Trail:   UCSC

Purchased At:   sponsor

Similar Products Used:   Specialized fuse seats, wtb seats

Bike Setup:   p.1/sx trail 1

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    - Light
- I-Beam System = very flexible setup

Weaknesses:    - Very very hard!
- did i mention its hard?

Bottom Line:
Having used this saddle now for over a year i cant really understand the belower reviewer - he uses it on his DH/FR bike!! ...what? This saddle is strictly for XC race bikes. For anything else save your bottom and your ba**s and get some more padding!

If you want the lightest post and saddle combo that (sensible) money can buy then this is it. Ideal for racing or for rides of less than 4 hrs, more than that and it starts to feel a bit uncomfortable. Even my Scott CR1 road bike has a softer (but heavier) saddle!

As for the I-beam system, i'll never go back to the 'old way', I-beam makes so much more sense.

Overall: near perfect, but be careful what you wish for!

Favorite Trail:   Innerlethen

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Rock Lobster Tig Team

Submitted by oldskookbiker a Downhiller from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    The seat is very light, and more comfortable than you would expect. I use this on my FR/DH bike so I don't spend extended times in the saddle however.

I had a hard OTB crash and my bike landed directly on the seat. It broke the tip of the seat off and bent the plastic beam. I kept using the set for another 3 months, but it finally gave out and snapped at my last race. I called SDG and they sent me a new saddle for 1/2 price under their crash replacement policy. They offered to replace it free if I sent them the old saddle, but when the saddle broke I couldn't find it.

Weaknesses:    I guess the biggest weakness for this saddle is that the materials it's made from is a little weak. I couple of hard hits directly on the saddle and forget about it, it will break.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to save weight, but give up some comfort get this saddle. If you're riding style is XC or similar I don't think you will have any issues with breaking. However if your Downhill or Freeride the saddle may not last that long especially if you crash a lot.

Favorite Trail:   The Shed

Purchased At:   Sponsor

Similar Products Used:   Various WTB saddles

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS-X, with Marz 888

Submitted by Johnny F a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    This seat has a durable and rad white leather top with wrap around black cordura rear/side panels for extra durability where you need it most. That little bit of extra padding makes for a really comfortable saddle while still maintaining a racy look, feel and weight. I bought it for my rigid bike and I was concerned it might be a bit too minimal, but after 3 months of daily use, I can say that's not the case. It's as if not even more comfortable then my Fizik Gobi. Oh and the graphics haven't rubbed off after just 3 rides like some saddles I've owned.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet. OK it's only been 3 months and alot of the riding it's seen is commuting to work. Only time will tell regarding overall durability.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a light and racy saddle then I strongly urge you to give this saddle a go. There are a lot of those types of saddles out there, and of the ones I've tried the I-Fly C rates high in both comfort and style. Plus it also available in white for that true racy look. What can I say form must go hand in hand with function.

Favorite Trail:   3stage

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Gobi and several Selle Italia and WTB models

Bike Setup:   Element Nitron-Q aluminum hardtail with carbon rear end and rigid carbon fork with both Mavic Speedcity 700c disc wheels for commuting and Mavic UST disc wheels for off-roading.

Submitted by eric a Weekend Warrior from westtown

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    I beam is great. Kevlar never tears.

Weaknesses:    Front tip weak plastic. SDG needs to get back to making a full kevlar seat like they did ten years ago, they were indestuctable!

Bottom Line:
The I-beam is a great idea but the materials used in the seat rails need to be upgraded or the design of some of the lighter I-beam seats needs to be reinforced or something. I rode this one day at Diablo and broke the tip of the seat, it just snapped. Now I am upgrading to the I-beam freeride in hopes that it is stronger. The down side to the I-beam is that if you want to change seats you either go with another SDG I-beam or you have to get a whole new seat post if you want different manufacturer. If you don't do hard freeriding or DH it might last for you. If you like big drops, knarly rock gardens and big air this is not the seat for you...

Favorite Trail:   rich mountain cherry log GA

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB, old school SDG full kevlar to name a few

Bike Setup:   GT DHI stock, Kona Coiler, Old school 95'GT rts, Schwinn 4-banger, Cannondale F-600

Submitted by Tom Taylor a Racer from Calgary Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Super light. Great design and fairly comfortable for a seat this light. Sheds water really well.

Weaknesses:    None, it just works great.

Bottom Line:
This is a great seat! It's wickedly light and surprisingly comfortable. I've completed 3 adventure races on this seat including one expedition race 400+km's plus thousands of miles of pedaling with no issues.

Bottom line, I love this seat It looks great as well.

Favorite Trail:   Gorge Loop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, i fly

Bike Setup:   specialized epic, FSA k-force cranks, bar, wheel set, xtr drive train

Submitted by Wil from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    Light. 135gm for the saddle, i think the seatpost is 275gm, so its a pretty lightweight combo. Does not soak up water in wet wether, fairly flexible, easy to adjust, strong.

Weaknesses:    Wow. Hard to begin with. There is no denying it. Its a race saddle, so maybe my soft bottom is just not made for this saddle.
Not much padding, it just really is not that comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Yep, its light, you will save weight over most combos, but it comes at a price.
Mine is breaking in, so its getting a little more comfortable, but it really is a hard saddle.
It maybe a different story if you ride many kms on a road bike with a stiff saddle, but for me its just not that great.
I tried to trick myself into thinking this would be a good saddle for me because the weight savings were significant.
I will see if it gets more comfortable with age, but at the present, there is just not enough padding for me to forget its there.

Purchased At:   $35