Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG Grand Prix Saddle

3.35/5 (26 Reviews)

• Gel insert with overlaying proprietary foam provides maximum comfort with lasting shape
  • Nylon/carbon base with ergonomic cut-out for pressure relief
  • Suspension module for added shock absorption
  • Oversize design allows for more support
  • Saddle covers are leather/leather or leather/kevlar
  • 6/4 ti rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by DirtyJumper a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, Looks, Maneuverability

Weaknesses:    I think the Chro-Mo rails are made of butter.

Bottom Line:
    Its a pretty comfortable saddle for its size but I can only recommend it for people who aren't very hard on their equipment. I weigh 175lbs and after my first crash landing onto the seat it was bent, and the second hard landing made it lean at a ridiculous angle to the side and nose up. If you ride hard and aggressive this seat probably isn't for you. The plus side, when I crashed into it, it didn't hurt as bad as most saddles would.

Favorite Trail:   Hi-Dee_Ho

Similar Products Used:   Nothing, this is the first seat I've bent.

Bike Setup:   243 SL, Zokes fork, Truvativ Hussafelt bars and stem, FSA 22mm x-drives, MTX33's laced up to a DMR ss rear hub and a Shimano Saint front and big disc brakes.

Submitted by RICH STEELS a Downhiller from DERBY

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    LOOKS GREAT, COMFY

Weaknesses:    SQUEAKS AFTER WEEKS, LEATHER COVERING TEARS EASILY

Bottom Line:
    A REALLY GREAT SADDLE THAT ISN'T TOO BIG AND ISN'T TOO SMALL. FINISHES OFF EVERY DOWNHILL BIKE LIKE A CHERRY ON A DELICIOUS CREAM CAKE!

ONLY DRAW BACKS ARE THE OCATIONAL SQEAKS THAT THE PLASTIC COVERS UNDER THE SADDLE WHICH CAN BE CURED WITH OIL OR GREASE AND THE COVERING CAN TEAR EASILY ON WELSH ROCK...DAM YOU WELSH ROCKS!!

Favorite Trail:   ANYTHING BUT HEMLOCK

Purchased At:   LEISURELAKES

Similar Products Used:   TIOGA, XLITE,AZONIC,DMR,FLITE BLAH BLAH

Bike Setup:   AMAZING

Submitted by Nir a Downhiller from LA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    comfortable, super strong.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    Unbrakeble

Favorite Trail:   DH \ DJ

Purchased At:   Beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Specialized, other SDGs

Bike Setup:   M1, Dorado, top parts.

Submitted by Manny E from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Strengths:    padded well- No numb crotch.
    can 'thigh' it, when leaning back on descents.

Weaknesses:    heavy.
    gel pack blew out of bottoom

Bottom Line:
    I got this saddle on my first Tracer on Nov 2000. It was great, but a bit heavy. So what, eh? Then, in Spring '02 I noticed some orange crap accumulating on my SIDI shoes. The gel membrane had split, and crap was oozing out.

Sent in saddle to SDG for replacement (warranty). No problem! They called and asked what colour I wanted and shippe me a new one pronto!
    Since then, I've had not one issue with this saddle. It's a bit heavy, but hey-- I wanted a saddle that goes easy on the groin! Other lightweight racing saddles I 've used (SLR's, Satellite, Selle San Marco, etc) are a direct ticket to prostate problems!
    Count me out on that, bros!

This is a decent saddle. No complaints.

Bike Setup:   '01, '03 Tracer

Submitted by grizz a Weekend Warrior from where ever

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2004

Strengths:    I beam interface very solid. Seat is light for this type of seat.

Weaknesses:    there is no support for the outside edges of the seat, so it folds over and then all you are sitting on is the I beam! So there you are with a 2" wide seat to ride on!!! I might as well have just rammed the post up my bum and ridden home that way!

Bottom Line:
    The I beam version of this seat sux! It is the most uncomfortable seat I have ever been on. I beam is a great Idea but the production seat is pitiful.
    If there was just support out at the edge where the rear of the rails would be and some gel in the bits area it would be a good seat but with out the support the outer edge just rolls down with the riders weight on it.

Purchased At:   oem on my new bike

Similar Products Used:   most brands out there

Bike Setup:   04 Haro Werks EXT

Submitted by John Y a Weekend Warrior from Oak Harbor, WA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Strengths:    Pretty comfy, somewhat light.

Weaknesses:    Well, I can tell you that this seat doesn't exactly handle downhill very well. It did last for a while though. I bend the rails pretty good after a downhill run on a not very steep/technical descent.

Bottom Line:
    I would probably not buy this seat again, it's not very sturdy. This seems more suited for XC riding or light trail riding, but not downhill or anything like that.

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Stuff Hayes 6" Hyrdaulic discs, Michelin, WTB, Thomson

Submitted by st ud a Cross Country Rider from provo, ut

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    comfort is a 6 out of 10. It is tough saddle and will handle alot of abuse

Weaknesses:    cro-moly rails bent on a killer crash.

Bottom Line:
    The saddle will last you as long as you are nice to it. It won't with stand down hill abuse. It is about the right size for downhilling tho.

Favorite Trail:   the bob sled inSLC

Purchased At:   coloradocyclist.com

Bike Setup:   GT Avalache 2001 with everything almost the same.

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    Great seat. easy to adjust. doesnt rip up easily on crashes.

Weaknesses:    I hav broken 2 seat posts with this seat. maybe its the posts but i dont no. No matter how ard i tightned it after about 3 days of riding it comes loose so if i seat on it i fall off. Maybe the seat post again.

Bottom Line:
    Great seat. Looks good on bike. mine is black with silver. Comfortable unless u r on it for a long time but if you don't do XC riding dont worry b/c u arent sitting down much.

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Bike Setup:   2001 1/2 17" Kona Scrap w/Kalloy 30.8 seat post.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Eagle Rock, CA - USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Lightness and great fit for me, ease of adjustment. All black style worked for me...

Weaknesses:    After a few wet rides the leather aged quickly which was a dissapointment, yet over time I guess this is a trait, this is my first leather seat. I ran this seat into the ground for 15 months, I weighed around 160lbs for the duration, so it was a surpise to have a rail snap. This is my first seat failure.

Bottom Line:
    I freeride with my 42lb pound "girl" and I'm pretty hard on the equipment, when something fails I usually replace it with something stronger. So I look to replace this with a Tioga with chromoly rails... I've read some bad stuff about Tioga, I hope that I'm back here to give a good report on this next saddle. Bottom line for the Grand Prix, excellent seat! I'll go back to it if my next choice fails to exceed the GP.

Favorite Trail:   Red Box

Purchased At:   100+

Similar Products Used:   Junk

Bike Setup:   2001 Intense SLX, Shiver fork, Rohloff rear hub

Submitted by Anthony from Rochester

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Strengths:    Looked nice and has the cut out underneith thats nice.

Weaknesses:    Rails can bend pretty easly.

Bottom Line:
    I liked this seat verymuch and I would still be using this seat. However the rails bent badly after a crash. Because of the cutout my balls were never sore from rideing. I think this is a very nice seat.

Favorite Trail:   Trion

Purchased At:   trailblazersbike.com

Similar Products Used:   wtb and marzochi karve

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Stuff freeride

Submitted by John W a Cross Country Rider from Livonia, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Very uncomfortable. The hardest saddle I've ever ridden.

Bottom Line:
    I hate this saddle. My ass sore after only a couple of minutes of riding. The worst saddle I ever had.

Favorite Trail:   Ojibway

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Vetta, Brooks, Selle Italia, Generic

Bike Setup:   GT XCR-2000 Stock setup, shorter stem, Shimano 535 clipless pedals

Submitted by C a Cross Country Rider from Mission Viejo CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort. Comfort. Comfort.
    Ti rails are nice, so is the custom color sceme, oh and the kevlar sides in whatever color I want, and....

Weaknesses:    A little too freeride looking for me

Bottom Line:
    One thing about a seat, you cant stereotype them. One persons trash is anothers treasure. Some people say this seat sucks. If you have real skinny hip bones this seat is too wide for you. I, on the other hand, have woman hips, wide, and it fits me just great. I dont have any trouble getting way of this seat. I do 40+ mile rides; I just did the Vision Quest (a 57 mile, 11,500 foot climb) and my butt barely hurt. This is not an exageration! IF you have tailbones that are a little wide, you wont be disapointed.
    Oh, and I aint no weekend warrior, I ride fast and hard and have yet to have any durability probs.
    Good Luck.

Favorite Trail:   Anything real

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   Specialized doberman heads, SDG's, Selle italia

Bike Setup:   Lots of after market stuff?

Submitted by Wally k from China

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Strengths:    ummmmm not

Weaknesses:    This is the biggest piece of crap i have ever used... my moms canadian tire seat is better than this thing

Bottom Line:
    I would never even consider buying this kife .. the only reason i had it was becasue it came stock on my quake when i got it but i had one bad drop from about 2 feet not even and i busted the rails right in half... i also totalled my ovation seatpost in the process but thats another review... like I dont understand how you ppl can say this is the best seat you have ever had??? r u all on drugs? like and even b4 i totalled it the cover was starting torip off and i hadnt had it for even a week... I suggest that you all try the Giro atlass saddle sure it may be expensive but you sure dont have to worry about breaking those rails.

Favorite Trail:   The great wall