Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG Big Boy Saddle

4.17/5 (23 Reviews)

• New solid 8mm heat treated cromo rails are the strongest yet and have no seatpost compatability issues.
  • Oversize body to allow superior body to bike control and stability, especially during high speed cornering and extended air time.
  • Technically designed replaceable/interchangeable saddle. tops created for varying track designs and conditions, not to mention the pimpin' style factor.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by calvin mar a Weekend Warrior from oxford

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Strengths:    never bent solid rails with thomson elite post

Weaknesses:    heavy, costly

Bottom Line:
    I fell on a log in trumbull and pulled the rail out of the seat in back. I had to bend it to get it in and now it wont bend back: seat is shot. very comfy and lasts pretty long, its good for xc only heavy.

Favorite Trail:   Woodbury!

Bike Setup:   02 stinky primo, trailpimps

Submitted by Sean from Toronto Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
    Nice seat for about 10 mins of riding. Then my ass hurts and I have to stand up. Its a nice seat to have if you over shoot your landing and is very nice to your junk. I have a big ass so it hurts a bit after awhile. Its nice and strong and can hold my fat ass with out bending rails.

Would I buy another one? No, I think I will go for the azonic love seat.

Submitted by Jon Downey a Downhiller from Norfolk, NE

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort, SDG quality

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Big, comfy, does the job and is well made.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Andrew Bicycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   SDG Satellite & Bel-Air, Koski Contour

Bike Setup:   Giant AC1

Submitted by Eder Savio a Downhiller from Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Strengths:    Big and soft.

Weaknesses:    Trails are fragile and easily bent.
    Very heavy.
    The warranty people think the costumer is clown, because they say will send a new piece and never more send.

Bottom Line:
    The sadle is realy big and soft, but the trails bent in firsts rides even using appropriate seatpost for 8 mm trails.
    I required the warranty and SDG required that I send the old base for them to put new trails. I did it. They never more sent the piece back. They just answer e-mails saying will do it, but I'm waiting about four months.

What did I? I bought a very good Tioga Multi Control XLS silver and red. It is very light and never bended because the base is flexible and save the trails. This is really a good product. It is good to Nicolas Voullez, is good to me :)

SDG? Never more!

Favorite Trail:   Free Ride in Campus of UFSC - Santa Catarina University

Purchased At:   OEM in my bike

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Multi Control XLS, Vello, Specialized comp and many others.

Bike Setup:   Haro MX2 6,25" rear travel, Marzocchi Z1 5" travel, Rigida DH 30 tubeless rims, X-Lite DH handlebar, Traz-X stem, Cane Aheadset, Tektro Gemini hidro disc brakes, GT 2.35 tires, Giant DH chainguide with 36 T chainring, STX RC cranks, XT 9 speed, platform DH Wellgo pedals.

Submitted by Timber a Downhiller from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Well Padded. Long and narrow shape. My nuts thank me every time I ride. Makes my ruckus look PHAT!

Weaknesses:    Perhaps drop nose would make it better. No problems, but just a thought. A little different for the climb, but not uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
    Get it if you can find a good deal on it.

Purchased At:   EBay Rocks!

Submitted by j a Downhiller from new york

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    this thing adds an extra inch or so of travel to whatever rig u got cuz its soo thick, you feel like you're sittin on a couch. it cleans real nice, and it doesnt hurt your balls too bad if you overclear a landing or some thing

Weaknesses:    i havent had a single problem yet

Bottom Line:
    this seat is awesome, i think i am gonna get one for my urban hardtail, which has a selle italia thing which just plain hurts. the big boy is the ultimate DH/FR seat out there, and the best i've tried

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill!!!!!

Purchased At:   came stock

Similar Products Used:   azonics stuff

Bike Setup:   Kona Stab Primo w/ monsters, full hayes, d321's

Submitted by Tom Pilbeam a Downhiller from Tavistock, Devon

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great comfort, Looks Great, Strong Material

Weaknesses:    Rails Bend Very easily, could be a better shape so it gets out the way more when dhling

Bottom Line:
    Keep It Real, Get sorted,
    Face Your Fears To Reach Your Dreams

Favorite Trail:   Porcs

Purchased At:   Partridge Cylcles

Similar Products Used:   tioga multicontol 2

Bike Setup:   Patriot LT, mrp, Jrn t's, 321's, Bulbs, Hope 4 pot, Tioga 2.6 f, 2.4 r.

Submitted by Danny a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Strengths:    COMFY AS HELL, Looks tight.

Weaknesses:    Rails (???) (thats just what ive heard)

Bottom Line:
    Good value, works fine on my seatpost. Any downhiller/freerider should buy this seat. Overall great comfy downhill seat. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Love Seat

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky w/ Hayes

Submitted by calvin mar a Weekend Warrior from oxford ct.

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Strengths:    excellent customer service. Sent in seat with bent rails from earlier review and they sent me a whole new seat free!
    that seat was new. They gave me a good tip.

Weaknesses:    rails bend with almost any post but the right one.

Bottom Line:
    pretty disappointed after first review and mailed seat right back after they promised to install rails and pay to ship it. They chose to give me a new seat and some advice:
    get a hurricane 100 seat post!
    www.hurricanecomponents.com made for the big boy! Rails will not bend.

Favorite Trail:   water company trail

Similar Products Used:   sdg bel-air

Bike Setup:   99 Kona manomano, z1-cr, 519,517 rims, hurricane 100 seat post,vanilla float shock

Submitted by John a Downhiller from St. John's N.F

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Strengths:    Big, strong and durable

Weaknesses:    little hard to peddle it rubs against your legs!!!

Bottom Line:
    This saddle is the ultimate in freeride and downhill comfort.

Favorite Trail:   Shotgun

Similar Products Used:   none compare

Submitted by calvin mar a Weekend Warrior from oxford ct.

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Strengths:    big and comfortable, looks like a freeridin saddle
    cheaper than stock sdg bel-air that came with my Kona

Weaknesses:    bent rail on second ride. then bent other one a week later
    oh well, at least it almost sits straight.

Bottom Line:
    here it is. Got sick of skinny little tight ass seats with no padding and broke my ti-rail in half on bel-air. I go
    around 6' 215 and have been riding for years. I never broke my san marcos saddle on my hardtail. wanted a strong seat, so i bought what I thought was a downhiller with supposedly MASSIVE 8mm rails, which bent on a 1 foot drop. a week later they both sank down changing the seat angle. Now I am not jumping down cliffs here, just light freeriding. what is the deal? downhill? very, very wimpy rails...I guess i'll keep looking.....................................

Favorite Trail:   still looking!

Similar Products Used:   sdg bel-air

Bike Setup:   Kona manomano w/bomber z1-cr 110mm and fox float

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Torrance

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    This seat is great. I love the kevlar cover.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great seat that covers your ass. Alot of space to maneuver around. Love the kevlar cover and it comes in different colors also.

Favorite Trail:   Any w/o climbing

Similar Products Used:   That Tioga loaf of bread looking seat, Titec Berserker

Bike Setup:   For fun

Submitted by Sean "The Murphinator" Murphy a Downhiller from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    instead of supporting just the crack it supports my whole ass. the rails are huge and i have done a few no-footer-landers already and there is no sign of bending.

Weaknesses:    ummmmmmm. I coulnd give you any yet other thatn i tore a little hole in the cover but that was my fault... wait wait wait, the rails are so big that there are some posts that wont fit around them.

Bottom Line:
    This seat is big, really big. I can sit on this seat all day and never get un comforable. the size of this seat gives me a huge range of control ove a standard seat. also the replaceable cover is a big plus

Favorite Trail:   Course 3, Beacon Hill

Similar Products Used:   SDG $5 seat, Selle Itallia $5 seat, WTB SST-X sparkly seat.

Bike Setup:   '99 Kona Stab, '99 MR.T, Azonic PDW bars, Zoom 60mm DH stem, FSA Orbit Extreme head set, Sun Mammoth rims, Shimano LX front hub, Machine Tech rear hub, SHimano Deore rear derailer, Sram 8.0 shifter, sram pc-51 chain, Shimano XT cogset, Salsa Flip off skwers, Profile cranks and BB, odessy pedals, Race Face 44t DH ring, MRP ultra speed 2 chain guide with black spire outer plate

Submitted by Clint a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    Nice and big, for my big but not nice ass.

Weaknesses:    too damned big

Bottom Line:
    This saddle on an RF XY post is the noisiest damned combo there is - wear earphones or go insane.

I'm huge @ 280lbs. and six foot three and ride nearly every day. this seat is pretty good, I don't think it's comfortable at all, in fact it feels like a frigging rock but it gets the job done well, many positions offered but the long rails did just recently act as a fulcrom and brake my XY post...

Similar Products Used:   none yet.

Bike Setup:   C'Dale F3000 XTR, Race Face XY post

Submitted by Thom a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Strengths:    Very comftable. Good controll

Weaknesses:    I have brocken one where the rails bent and I hurt my self quite badly.

Bottom Line:
    I have owned 2 of these sadles the first one broke on the first day and I could not get a refund so that was £60 wasted but I have got another and this one seams to be stronger. On the whole a good saddle just be Carefull!

Favorite Trail:   Pretty Wood, UK