Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG Bel-Air SL Saddle

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

A racy new profile, Comfort Cleavage, carbon finish base, and a mind-blowing light weight. 169 grams.

Submitted by single-track-mind a Downhiller from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Cumfy ,flex,easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    Snapped two so far one only two weeks old
You must position the seat in the middle of the rail to get max strength
You must crank it up tight or risk stripping the teeth

Bottom Line:
IMO the most cumfy seat but a little bumed the last one broke so easily
But it was more my own fault. Preloaded heavily for a gap jump one off my feet slipped of the pedel resulting in me landing on the seat with all my weight
If the seat had not snapped I probably would of been bucked up and over the bars so it actually saved me from a big off.
Would I buy one again a big YES this is the only seat for me the ibeam is a great system set it up first time correctly and never touch it again.

Favorite Trail:   The Moo

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   Cdale Judge

Submitted by George Mark a Weekend Warrior from Cardiff, UK

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    The saddle is comfortable and looks great, however...

Weaknesses:    It is listed as weighing 185 grams. HA! I put it on the scale out of the box and it weighed 225 grams.

Bottom Line:
Looks good, very comfy, but weight weenies look elsewhere, it is 20% heavier than listed. If I had known I would have bought something else to keep my bike light.

Purchased At:   Merlin

Similar Products Used:   SDG I fly

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Palm Springs

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Good Looks, Comfort

Weaknesses:    Saddle Cover separating from body, Seat post has play(Saddle moves up and down slightly)that cannot be remedied. So far... no help from SDG.

Bottom Line:
Buy something else or at least a railed saddle.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Specialized, Selle San Marco

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Strengths:    Hasn't broken yet

Weaknesses:    Hard, no flex, can't attach saddle bag on I-Beam

Bottom Line:
Not really as good as it sets out to be. The thing doesn't flex as well as most railed saddles, and I can't get it to flex. The I-Beam thing is not worth it - you can't put on saddle bags, or change the saddle for any other if you break it. MTB stuff should be interchangeable cos things break and need replacement.

Favorite Trail:   The Flames of Mount Buggary

Purchased At:   Brisbane Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Gel-Carbon, Oasis Gel

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Meteore Comp 05

Submitted by Clint Hosman a Racer from Mesa AZ

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    Less parts means less stuff that can break.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
The I beam post is a seat it and forget it kind of thing. I am not one of these guys who likes to monkey with his stuff so that fits me great. However with the amount of adjustability you get with the system if you are so inclined you will love it as well.

The padding is understated but way more then what I am used to running on my race bike but the wait savings through the I beam made the extra comfort possible.

The system gives you a very firm platform to peddle from; I guess I never noticed how much flex a traditional seat has in it until I switched to this system but here again the padding makes it comfortable to ride for hours.

Definitely would recommend the system to anyone looking for something different.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Similar Products Used:   WTB and pretty much everything else.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F29, Sram everything, Hope mini disc, Stan’s rims on King hub in back.

Submitted by Mark from Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable, light, looks good.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Mine's the I-Beam version which needs the I-Beam seatpost but does offer a wide range of adjustability. The seat itself is comfy enough for a good few hours on the bike and is also a good size to manouvre around.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Coomencal Meta 5.20

Submitted by matt a Downhiller from new zealand

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    really light, and the most comfortable saddle ive ridden

Weaknesses:    ive broken 2 of these saddles in about 10 months. Im 75kg, so not heavy, not into jumps, although i do ride most other stuff. Im not sure whether to drop i-beam and try something different, or whether to try the stronger saddle sdg make next...

Bottom Line:
probably great for a jey boy weight-conscious rider (would maybe get 5 stars for that type of riding).
dont buy it if you're a aggresive trail rider.

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Bike Setup:   santa cruz heckler, fox, hope, blah blah blah

Submitted by Tim Kelley from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable, stiff, lightweight, Love channel, looks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I purchased this seat because it was on sale and was advertised as a relatively light freeride seat with a leather cover. After breaking the rails on several Selle Italia seats (I weigh approx. 190 lbs.) I decided to give SDG a shot.

The bottom line is that this is the best seat I have ever ridden. It is comfortable, stiff and light. I also like the sewn in logo and leather cover. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a heavy duty seat with a lot of great features all at a great price.

The seat lives up to it's name (SDG) Speed Defies Gravity