Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG Bel-Air RL Saddle

3.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Bel-Air RLTi-Alloy RailsThe Bel-Air line of saddles is known for its all-around comfort and functionality. For nearly a decade,The Bel-Air has been SDGs most popular saddle. New comfort enhancements and an updated profile makesThe latest generation Bel-Air RL more comfortableThan ever. 273mm x 140mm Approx. 276 grams

Submitted by Mutantclover a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2013

Strengths:    Good shape. Feels firm at first but is just right after break in. Nose feels well cushioned if you want to put your weight forward when climbing. Can be found for good prices.

Weaknesses:    Wish more of them came with the perforated upper material (ie on the snow camo model). I find the non-perforated cover is too tacky when wet, so if your shorts are wet/sweaty on a hot and humid day, they don't glide over the material as well, there is some stiction that leads to more chafing than necessary. I guess my preference is a saddle that is pretty slippery with just a little traction on the sides.

Bottom Line:
I have one of the older models (kevlar goes all the way to the front) and one of the newer models (kevlar stops 2 inches before the nose). The older models are thicker, softer and plusher and feel more like a hammock (too much so for my taste). The new models while looking similar and having the same shape are considerably more supportive and this was the one that I felt was stiff at first, but broke in to become "just right."

Durability has been good for me with my two saddles used for about 5 seasons, my guess is the reason some people bend the rails is likely due to a poor seatpost design (one that does not hold the rails very well and puts too much stress on them). I weigh about 200 lbs ready to ride. I only recently damaged a saddle when I tried to climb a wet, root-covered hill and slid down backwards and the rear of the saddle was what stopped me when it backed into a tree. There was a pop and the rail is now loose where it goes in, although it did not bend and still does not creak a couple rides later. I guess I will put that saddle on a less-used bike and buy a new one (this time with TI rails) for my Tallboy.

Duration Product Used:   5 years or so

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   WTB Pure (wider and softer, more hammocklike), WTB Speed (most similar of what I've tried, but feels stubbier and narrower like there is no where to shift your weight and less support for someone with wider bones), WTB Rocket (way too short and narrow for my liking), a few others I don't remember

Bike Setup:   Thomson Elite and 2012 Truvativ Holzfeller posts, XC bikes

Submitted by Benito

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    very comfortable, affordable saddle. looks good with lots of colorful options

Weaknesses:    Bent the rails after 2-3 rides off road. Cover began peeling away after about a half of season hard riding

Bottom Line:
This saddle can be found at very reasonable prices and in several different color schemes. I was psyched to grab one but was disappointed one of the rails bent significantly after just a few off road rides. I stuck it out for about a year but the bent rail creaked on every ride. I'm a heavy rider and hit some pretty rough trails, but overall I have only ever bent one other saddle. I was also disappointed the cover peeling off several months ago. Lots of cheaper products have held up better. To be fair the saddle was always very comfortable.

Submitted by johnnydirt2010 a Weekend Warrior from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2010

Strengths:    Comfy, looks great, lasts for years.

Bottom Line:
Excellent saddle in super stylish covers. Fist one was Zebra skin, lasted for years. Just replaced with the same saddle but now in cow skin.

Favorite Trail:   Chaquito

Purchased At:   SDG

Bike Setup:   '09 TREK Remedy 9, Van 36, PCC AMP seatpost, Hope Pro2 hubs, DT Swiss hoops with Maxxis High Rollers, SRAM drivetrain.

Submitted by ocguy2004 a Weekend Warrior from irvine,ca

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    comfy

Bottom Line:
came stock on my GT idrive. this is a great saddle. very comfortable. can ride for hours without getting sore. i purchased a wtb rocket and its not nearly as comfortable...for me anyway. the rocket is a little smaller and just doesn't fit me right. i'm gonna get another one of these for my spec enduro sx...the enduro saddle is flat and not comfortable for longer rides.

Submitted by phildevils@hotmail.com a Racer from sherbrooke, QC

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    style style style only if you buy it with the leopard cover

Bottom Line:
some will say that the aluminium rail are really cheap and you absolutly need the titanium rail. that's not true, I'm a hard rider and my rail stay streath... buy it (leopard only)

Favorite Trail:   Baie St-Paul race track

Purchased At:   sports 4 season

Similar Products Used:   wtb of a vertex 50

Submitted by ProStacks a Cross Country Rider from Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, good looking, decent rails, good cover (water and tear resistant, easy to clean). Good for moderate Xc racing, or trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy for hardcore XC

Bottom Line:
Great seat for riding the trails and going on long rides. Good and comfortabe, but without all of the fat cuchioning that you see on some saddles. Looks good. I wouldnt have this saddle it I was looking to do Hardcore XC Racing, But for just cruising the trails and entry level XC its pretty good. Easy to clean and damage resistent. All together, a good buy.

Purchased At:   Geard Cycles - On Gi

Similar Products Used:   Bel Air Titanium Rails

Bike Setup:   Recreational XC type.

Submitted by Nick Price a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, UK

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2006

Strengths:    all day comfort, without all the lardy padding, light, alot of styling choise.

Weaknesses:    materials differ depending on what colour option you have.

no womens version

Bottom Line:
i settled on this saddle after working my way through several other brands, i personally find it comfy, it offers a good range of positions, it doesnt snag your shorts easily, its light (Although not XC light, but XC light doesnt = all day comfort)

my only issues you may have are materials, some colour options (mainly fury models, zebra, tiger stripes etc) soak up water like a sponge, whereas slicker models (cammo, cork, cow print etc) are pretty much water proof - bare this in mind when considering which to buy.

i personally have a limited edition blue cammo on giant trance trail bike, and a zebra stripe finish on a kinesis maxlight hardtail.

value 3 - a little pricey

overall 5 - i love em!

Favorite Trail:   Coed-ye-brennin

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB, selle royal

Bike Setup:   i have these saddles on my xc bike and my trail bike

Submitted by scott a Downhiller from canada

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    looks cool, not to hard

Weaknesses:    rails on bottom are weak

Bottom Line:
this seat sucks i got home with my new bike rode for 15 minites the next day it was bent and i dident even wipe out and im not fat ether im 120 pounds so i had to ride with a broken seat for a month entel i had enuf money to get a new one.if i were you i wouldent buy this seat its a waste of money.

Bike Setup:   2006 norco wolverene double wide rims hussefelt stem and crank snafu jump seat howitzer bb drop off comp dmr grips

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from North Yorks, England

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    Build quality, design, most importantly - very comfortable!

Bottom Line:
This saddle is so comfortable. If it wears out I will replace it with another Bell Air RL straight away without trying anything else.

Favorite Trail:   North York Moors, Yorkshire Dales

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG Pro, DMR

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Fox Talas 130, Mavic XL wheels, XO shifters, XO rear mech, FSA carbon cranks, Thompson x4 stem, Thompson seat post, FSA carbon bars, Hope M4 with floating disks and braided hoses, Crank Bro' Candy SL pedals, Panaracer fire XC's

Submitted by Marcel Linne a Downhiller from Littleton, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Fit and finish are second to none - light and strong - tough as nails, cased a double and left no marks - nose and sideguards work as designed - not sure what others were talking about but this is a comfortable seat!

Weaknesses:    After about sixty total hours of hard DH, still looks brand new even after some brutal rock garden tumbling -nothing weak to report yet!

Bottom Line:
You want a top shelf seat, give this one a try. tons of flavors to choose from too. If you are a weight weenie, most models are offered in Ti. I have already ordered another saddle for my Mtn Cross/DS bike - these seats are tasty!

Not sure what seat the other fellas are talking about.

Oh yeah.......Cheeseburgers....YUM!

Way better than bangers and mash!

Favorite Trail:   New trails at Keystone Resort

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Karve (former favorite), Titec Beserker, Azonic Love Seat.

Bike Setup:   SDG in pimpin' Tiger print, Giant DH Team with Swinger six-way, Super T Pro with DJ springs and direct mount stem, low pro mag pedals, Sram drivetrain, O.S. Big Earl bars with Dangerboy levers and ODI Rogue lock-ons, HFX-9's, Azonic Outlaws matched to Minion super tacky front and High Roller 3c back - Hell Yeah!

Submitted by Mikhail Panasyuk a Cross Country Rider from Novosibirsk

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Weaknesses:    Bad quality

Bottom Line:
My saddle (black/red) came with bike wich I've bought last week. On the first ride home from shop (about 30km) red paint wore out and coloured my pants :(, not funny, red ass... And the saddle now looks as bad as my pants.

Not to say that this saddle is not comfortable (I've ridden about 130km on it), on the same level with my previous WTB Speed V Race.

I'll give this saddle 1/5 because of poor quality.

Purchased At:   www.trial-sport.ru

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed V Race, WTB Speed V

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche Expert 2006 (stock): RS Tora 302 U-Turn, SRAM X.9, Deore Disc hydraulic, Crank Brother pedals...

Submitted by Greg from Armidale

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2006

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable!!

Bottom Line:
I don't know if my arse is a different shape to the other reviewers, or if you yanks eat too many cheeseburgers, however, this is the most uncomfortable seat I've ever used. That's while wearing nix!

Don't buy this saddle on reputation, try it out first. Additionally, there is no such thing as "breaking in" a quality saddle. You should be able to find out pretty quickly if this saddle is for you.

I say, "horses for courses."