Home | Reviews | Saddle | SDG

SDG Bel-Air FX Saddle

1.5/5 (4 Reviews)

-A profoundly comfortable seat, and the first I-BEAM seat with a Flex Zone: An open space between the shell and beam. 235 grams.

Submitted by Doug Gage a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    light and strong

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable!!! very uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
tried this saddle for almost 2000km. Still very hard and uncomfortable. My new one felt better on the first ride.
You don't have to buy a new post because they make a adapter to fit regular seats but the post sucks also!

Similar Products Used:   wtb pure

Bike Setup:   Norco Fluid 2 dual suspension

Submitted by Jordan a Downhiller from Draper, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Strengths:    Looks,

Weaknesses:    I BEAM WILL BREAK AND YOU WILL RACK YOURSELF SO HARD!!! I set the seat back a little bit, but not all the way. I hit a small 3 foot drop and landed a little funny. When my but hit the seat, the I beam snapped and the front end of the seat shot up as I fell down and just about ruptured both of my... well, you know what i mean..

Bottom Line:
This seat blows!!! When you break it and smash your boys you will have to buy a new seat post too. (unless you are stupid and buy another I-beam seat)

Similar Products Used:   SELLA, SPECIALIZED, SEVERAL OTHERS...

Bike Setup:   Harro X3, Bomber 888 fork, manitou swinger 4way rear shock, All Saint components...

Submitted by A.B. a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Strengths:    Looks cool and is very durable.

Weaknesses:    This thing is painful. To add insult to injury, you can't just go out and buy another seat to alleviate the problem because the I-beam post is incompatible with every seat out there. That means you have to buy a new post as well.

Bottom Line:
As comfortable as sitting on a granite slab. If your bike comes with this, request that the bike dealer to put on a different seat.

Bike Setup:   Dahon Matrix (stock)

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight. Manufacturer claims 230g. Very easy to adjust, as there is only one lateral bolt (6mm hex key) which determines both seat angle and rail length adjustment. Instead of twin rails, there is a single, central plastic rail (I don't know if this brings significant improvement in strength). It has a groove to reduce pudendal artery compression, but not as deep as on some other saddles.

Weaknesses:    Hard and unforgiving, with little flex. Can only be used with SDG I-Beam seatposts; will not fit other manufacturers' seatposts. Is it as light as it claims? My kitchen scales say 295g. I can't explain that discrepancy. It came as a package with my new bike (2006) but it's a different colour to those on retailers' websites, so maybe it's last year's model. Combined with SDG I-Beam seatpost (31.6), my scales read the weight at just over 600g. I replaced the post and saddle with a Specialized BG2 Sport saddle and a Thomson Elite (31.6x410) post and the combined weight was slightly reduced, though the comfort level was hugely increased and the combined price was slightly lower.

Bottom Line:
It's OK for short trips around town or on tarmac but if you want to go on the rough stuff or over any respectable distances, there isn't much comfort here. After one 45km ride on fairly gentle dirt track (the Thames Path and a couple of laps of Richmond Park) I was convinced that this saddle had to go. I just couldn't contemplate doing a 100km ride on it.

Favorite Trail:   The Gap Road, Brecon.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG2 Sport Saddle; earlier models of Specialized BG saddles.

Bike Setup:   Dahon Zero-G folding hardtail with 80mm Manitou Axel Super 80 front forks.