San Marco Squadra Saddle

4.6/5 (25 Reviews)

San Marco Squadra No Slip

Submitted by Scarlett P a Racer from London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, all-day comfort, well finished, brand reputation.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought this due to the concensus of opinion on this site. If 9 out of 10 users loved it, I took the chance I wouldn't be the 1 who didn't - I'm not!
This saddle is fantastic - racers may feel that 350g is too heavy. Personally I love mine. Can't understand why it's so cheap, but I'm not complaining.

Favorite Trail:   Roadie - but liked Lefkada

Purchased At:   Parker International (UK online)

Similar Products Used:   Assos, Selle Italia, Selle Royale, Ritchey.

Bike Setup:   Columbus tubing Audax with Campag Centaur/Veloce mix, Mavic rims.

Submitted by Gary from East Hartford,CT.

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort, well made and light

Bottom Line:
This saddle is magical. It puts hardly no pressure on the parts that go numb. It feels like I'm really sitting on my sit bones for once and not the center of my crotch. It was either numbness or saddle sores with the other saddles I have tried, with the Squadra, none! I was starting to lose hope. When you first sit on it , it feels hard but for some reason it softens up with the heat from your body. I say give it a try.

Favorite Trail:   None .I'm a roadie

Purchased At:   IT cyclery (mail order)

Similar Products Used:   Mot Selle Italia saddles. About three San Marco saddles. WTB,Koobie and more.

Bike Setup:   DeRosa Primato with full Record.

Submitted by Pete a Racer from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Strengths:    Smart looks. Weight. Alternative but plain design.

Weaknesses:    Padding, what padding?!

Bottom Line:
Most people seem to love this saddle; the reviews below made me buy it! I'm so disappointed that I'm beginning to think there's something medically wrong with me for having problems with it!

I suspect people are comparing it to very narrow horrible race saddles. The Squadra is actually not among the widest of saddles. But it is quite flat so most of the width is USABLE, and the nose/mid section is relatively wide and supportive. The very back tilts up sharply, and is rock hard -- this prevents you sitting right back on it, resulting in a lot of weight going on to the mid-section.

I've had the (cromo) Squadra for one month and there hasn't been much "breaking in" yet! The nose has got softer, but I don't believe the back is going to -- there's just not enough padding.

I would recommend this saddle to serious cyclists who are already used to narrow firm saddles, and want to try something better. But if you're currently using a wide, soft, "comfort" saddle, be warned that the Squadra is something else!

For pictures and info see http://branfordbike.com/saddles/saddle1.html. For people who are having difficulty in finding it, www.parker-international.co.uk stock the Squadra at low prices, and will ship to the States.

Any alternative saddle recommendations will be much appreciated. Please click on my name.

Favorite Trail:   -

Similar Products Used:   Madison G12, Terry Liberator, Selle Italia XO, loads more.

Bike Setup:   Dawes '99 Giro 500 road race bike

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from ND

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Strengths:    great fit, ride all day not sore

Weaknesses:    everyone has personal preferences when it comes to seats

Bottom Line:
This is a great saddle for the long rides, I noticed I didn't have to stand up to give myself relief. It fit like a glove. I think everyone has gone through horrid saddles but when you find one you like you enjoy the long rides again

Favorite Trail:   River

Similar Products Used:   Lots of them

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Madison Hts, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable, nice looking, acceptable weight

Weaknesses:    The steel rail model is not as forgiving as the Ti.

Bottom Line:
Try this saddle! If saddles were not such a personal choice, I would surely say "Buy this saddle!" and "If you can find the Ti model, buy 2!"

Similar Products Used:   Avocet O2, San Marco Rolls, San Marco Attiv (or whatever, the "suspension" one) Specialized, stock models

Bike Setup:   The Squadra Ti is my favorite saddle ever! I have used it with my 1994 Litespeed Ultimate for 2 different quad-century weekends, and both were relatively pain-free. I have the steel-rail model on my Basso Loto and my Pocket Rocket, and I like it a lot, just not as much as the Ti model. The Rolls on my Ibis Easystreet tandem is a close 3rd. I have the Avocet O2 on my mountain bike (Breezer Lightning) and it's fairly comfortable and looks cool, but it's not nearly as loveable as the Squadra. The SM suspension model is on my Trek 520, and it's usable, but I'd never buy one again. Eventually I'll replace it and the Avocet with Squadras, if they continue to be available.

Submitted by Gene C a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable all day in the saddle. High quality, thick leather. No Slip really works

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
If you are a big butt guy like me (6'6,330lbs), this is your saddle. Get past the long break in period and you will never want anything else under your rear end.

1 Year

WTB, Selle Italia, Brooks B-17

GT Zaskar mostly XT

Submitted by Bill a racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have tried many saddles. At least 8. This one was one of the best. The only saddle I found to be better was the Performance Women's Century Saddle - like the WTB design, but slightly wider. I weigh 220, so apparently all that beef needs a wide, flat platform. This saddle is close to perfect though.

Submitted by Ed a cross-country rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: January 26, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got this saddle on at a Performance clearance for $20. I put it on my old bike about 2 years ago and the first thing I did when I got my new bike was switch out the saddles. Extremely comfortable. Its taken some serious abuse and has no damage to speak of. I wish I had bought an extra when I had the chance.

Submitted by Andrew Mountain a racer from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 1999

Bottom Line:

I ride 30km a day and this saddle keeps me ache-free the whole way. I've gone through quite a few saddles before this one. My nitrox hurt as soon as I sat down, my flite hurt half way through the ride, and ache set in with my turbo and my rolls about 3/4 of the way. The padding on the squadra is fairly firm so the honeymoon isn't that hot, but after she breaks in, you'll feel like riding across the country.

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from Strugis, SD

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

i really like this seat. it is very supportive and comfortable. it is a little on the wide side, but this gives great support for long days in the saddle. it is very light and has great padding. the leather is nice and thick and has a nice texture to it so it does not get slick when wet. seats are a matter of personal choice but i cannot imagine anyone who would not like this one.

Submitted by INDIAN JOE a weekend warrior from MESCALERO, NM

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

THIS IS ONE COMFY SADDLE!! I CAN PUT THREE HOURS ON THE BIKE AND NEVER GET NUMB OR SORE. AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO WIDE TO GET OFF BEHIND. IT TAKES A LITTLE MORE PRACTICE BUT THE WIDTH IS WHAT MAKES IT SO COMFORTABLE. THE LEATHER IS FIRST CLASS AND THE NO SLIP STITCHING WORKS GREAT. SEVERAL WIPE OUTS HAVE YET TO DO ANY HARM TO THIS SADDLE. I CANNOT THINK OF ONE COMPLAINT.

Submitted by Big T a downhiller from Mescalero, NM

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is a great saddle for Clydsdale size riders like myself. It is very comfortable, strong and fairly light. The no slip version works just as it is supposed to. It may be a little too wide for small riders, but this adds to its comfort for big asch riders. The HDP adds comfort over ruts and rough ground compared to the San Marco Rolls it replaces. I am putting this seat on all of my MTB's (DH,Freeride and XC(ugh!)

Submitted by Dirk Diggler a weekend warrior from West Hollywood

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have this saddle on my KHS Team. Great looks but not as comfortable as the Brooks on my cruiser. The no-slip works. Overall a great saddle performance, comfort, and for what it provides, price-wise. Recommended for all riding for someone my size (5'11 160lbs). Now I wish I had a suspension seat post...

Submitted by C. a cross-country rider from Missouri

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'd been through 3 saddles on my road bike before I tried this one. The OE Specialized generic saddle was ridiculous; the Kona Flite style saddle was better, but the padding was cheap and became uncomfortable on long rides; and the covering tended to tear easily; the San Marco Attive Suspension was nicely built, but didn't fit me at all. I bought the Squadra mail order from Performance and got it for less than $40.00, a good deal for a premium saddle like this one. The Squadra is the more advanced version of the San Marco Rolls, and both are quite common on Tour de France riders' bikes. Leave it to guys who ride centuries for days and days in a row, at race pace, to find the most comfortable equipment--the Squadra is super comfortable. The padding is dense, and you don't get tired gluts from sinking down into it. Of course, the combination of saddle shape and individual anatomy make all the difference, so any single person may not like this saddle, but, in general, it is better thought out, better designed, and better executed then most that are out there.

Submitted by zeno a cross-country rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently put this saddle on my road bike and it is the best I have ever owned, and I have tried *many* of them. It has the best fit for me & I started feeling comfortable almost immediately. I will be putting one on my mountain bike this weekend.

Squadra Sample Sale at Sea Otter!!!

[B]Carlsbad, Calif., April 10, 2007[/B] – Squadra, the designer and manufacturer of Squadra custom gear and the licensee of Castelli custom gear for North America will be at booth 836 at the Sea Otter Expo. "Once a year we hold a sample sale and this year we have decided to do this at Sea Otter" ... Read More »